Possible transcription scam: 12 minutes of audio as a "test"...?
Thread poster: Audra deFalco (X)
Audra deFalco (X)
Audra deFalco (X)
United States
Local time: 08:04
Italian to English
+ ...
Nov 6, 2010

Hello all. I just wanted to get some of your opinions. This is something that has never happened to me before.

Today I was asked to do a 12 minute transcription/translation as a "test." Of course I only offered him about 3-5 minutes and he hasn't responded thus far to my proposal. The total length of the test audio sample was 30 minutes, so I bet he wanted me to do the first 12 minutes or so and have the next person finish it off, thus getting free work.

Has this ever h
... See more
Hello all. I just wanted to get some of your opinions. This is something that has never happened to me before.

Today I was asked to do a 12 minute transcription/translation as a "test." Of course I only offered him about 3-5 minutes and he hasn't responded thus far to my proposal. The total length of the test audio sample was 30 minutes, so I bet he wanted me to do the first 12 minutes or so and have the next person finish it off, thus getting free work.

Has this ever happened to any of you? Being asked to do a relatively large chunk of a sample as a test? It struck me as odd and quite crafty!
Collapse

Aradai Pardo Martínez
Aradai Pardo Martínez  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 06:04
Swedish to Spanish
+ ...
For a test... Nov 6, 2010

I wouldn't do more than 1 minute!

It sounds just too fishy!

seika
seika  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:04
Member (2006)
Japanese to English
+ ...
Dodgy... Nov 6, 2010

It sure sounds fishy!

Laurent KRAULAND (X)
Laurent KRAULAND (X)  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 13:04
French to German
+ ...
No way... Nov 7, 2010

anybody could get me to do that.

Tests should always be self-contained whether in translation or in transcription. This is a basic rule IMO.

Patricia Machado
Patricia Machado  Identity Verified
Portugal
English to Portuguese
+ ...
I fell for this scam, oops! Apr 8, 2019

I wish I had read this before!
I was stupid enough (it's been a month with very few translation jobs) to complete a 12 minutes transcription test.
They replied saying I wasn't approved before they had the time to check the test.
It's a terrible feeling to be robbed.

[Edited at 2019-04-08 15:12 GMT]

Daryo
Daryo
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:04
Serbian to English
+ ...
The value of "useless" reading ... Apr 10, 2019

I remember the story of a "smart" businessmen who in the past century opened one of the ever first cinema.

The relevant part of the story: he was boasting about not paying anything for the chairs for the audience - he just asked for free samples from hundreds of businesses eager to get the order for few hundred chairs.

This method still works today, as long you can find enough mugs ...

Yolanda Broad

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Possible transcription scam: 12 minutes of audio as a "test"...?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »