Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4] >
Fraudulent Carl Zeiss employment offer (mod.: Nigerian scam)
Thread poster: Tomasz Poplawski
Vicky Cardone
Vicky Cardone  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:13
English to Spanish
+ ...
Almost got me Jan 21, 2019

I received the email and i went through the whole "interview" process and it "smelled" fishy since the beginning but I went ahead while doing research on the other tabs of my browser and didn't find anything that was incorrect, like I found the name of Angelika being the person she said she was and the company's website being what they said it was etc, then I received the letter of confirmation saying I was accepted to become an employee and I thought it was weird that they mentioned they would ... See more
I received the email and i went through the whole "interview" process and it "smelled" fishy since the beginning but I went ahead while doing research on the other tabs of my browser and didn't find anything that was incorrect, like I found the name of Angelika being the person she said she was and the company's website being what they said it was etc, then I received the letter of confirmation saying I was accepted to become an employee and I thought it was weird that they mentioned they would send me all the information through email when I know most companies like that will have their own software platform which one will need to connect in order to receive confidential files. So I kept looking and now I found this thread and I'm glad I didn't give them any personal information other than my phone number and address which is on my resume available for anyone to see on ProZ, ATA and Translators Cafe (and this last one was mentioned about how they found me).

So sad people like that could use their intelligence on something actually useful.
Collapse

Huong Nguyen
Lisa Grayson
Camila de Castro
Yuliia Behen (nee Herus)

Dan Lucas
Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:13
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
Was it a Zeiss email address? Jan 22, 2019

Vicky Cardone wrote:
...and didn't find anything that was incorrect

Did the email come from the Zeiss domain? (In the case of the original poster, it was [email protected].)

Regards,
Dan

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 17:13
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

SITE LOCALIZER
Dan, you are wrong Jan 22, 2019

Dan Lucas wrote:
Did the email come from the Zeiss domain? (In the case of the original poster, it was [email protected].)

In case of the original poster, the email came "supposedly from [email protected] but with the 'Reply To' Angelika Franzke
at [email protected]"

Natalia

Dan Lucas
Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:13
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
Clarification: return email Jan 22, 2019

Natalie wrote:
In case of the original poster, the email came "supposedly from [email protected] but with the 'Reply To' Angelika Franzke
at " rel="nofollow">[email protected]"[/quote]
I have re-read my post and, strictly speaking you are correct, because I asked "Did the email come from the Zeiss domain?" That was poorly phrased. Anybody can create a fake name under which to send the email. For example, I could change my email name in a few seconds to "King of the World [email protected]" although, clearly, that would not make me monarch of the planet.

However, it is pointless to fake the return email address unless you have access to that account, so a spammer is not going to use a genuine Zeiss domain email. If you hit Reply to a spam email, that return address - [email protected] in the OP's case - will appear in front of your eyes. And if it's a gmail, hotmail or other free email, rather than a Zeiss domain address, why would you press Send?

If you don't take adequate care in this world, nasty people will separate you from your money. Not looking at email addresses = not taking adequate care. This thread will hopefully educate the incautious.

Regards,
Dan

[Edited at 2019-01-22 14:13 GMT]

Kevin Fulton

IrinaN
IrinaN
United States
Local time: 10:13
English to Russian
+ ...
Forget the email Jan 22, 2019

How is it possible to believe that Carl Zeiss with all their power, benefits and salaries fit for the best of the best in every field, the company where likely janitors only do not have Dr. before their last names, will be seeking employees among strangers through ATA and Proz contacts???

Revenue

€5.817 billion in fiscal year 2017/18
(Status: 30 September 2018)

Same as 100000 words at the rate you name with 10 thousand euros upfront. Subject
... See more
How is it possible to believe that Carl Zeiss with all their power, benefits and salaries fit for the best of the best in every field, the company where likely janitors only do not have Dr. before their last names, will be seeking employees among strangers through ATA and Proz contacts???

Revenue

€5.817 billion in fiscal year 2017/18
(Status: 30 September 2018)

Same as 100000 words at the rate you name with 10 thousand euros upfront. Subject and language pair do not matter...
Collapse

Tomasz Poplawski
Tomasz Poplawski  Identity Verified
Member (2007)
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Qualified Jan 22, 2019

Irina,
I really have to disagree with you that the ATA website is a wrong place to search of qualified translators. The same with Proz, where they can also see member's activity.
Probably half of my clients found me there, including leaders of their respective industries.

Yolanda Broad
Lisa Grayson
Damaris Hanley
Katarzyna Slowikova
Yuliia Behen (nee Herus)
Kevin Blahut

IrinaN
IrinaN
United States
English to Russian
+ ...
Dear Tomasz Jan 22, 2019

My post has nothing to do with your qualifications or a common practice of searching for translators for the project.

But I do believe that the process of searching for, and hiring full-time Zeiss employees is far more demanding and complicated, and hardly starts with ATA. I doubt that Zeiss's HR had ever heard of it.

Robert Forstag

Robert Rietvelt
Robert Rietvelt  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:13
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
Off topic (sorry) Jan 22, 2019

Maybe a silly question, but what is ATA?

Tomasz Poplawski
Tomasz Poplawski  Identity Verified
Member (2007)
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Apologies for our US-centric perspective Jan 22, 2019

https://www.atanet.org/

Damaris Hanley

Lincoln Hui
Lincoln Hui  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Local time: 23:13
Chinese to English
+ ...
Dat price point Jan 22, 2019

I just want to express my unbridled admiration for the salary that they set: Just low enough to be not all that attractive to people with an established practice, and just high enough to get a college graduate or less than fully occupied person to bite.

LEXpert
Lisa Grayson
Camila de Castro

Eugenia Garcia
Eugenia Garcia  Identity Verified
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
ATA is American Translators Association Jan 23, 2019

ATA is American Translators Association.

Hugh Thomson

Huong Nguyen
Huong Nguyen  Identity Verified
United States
English to Vietnamese
+ ...
Almost fell pray to this scam Jan 25, 2019

I did the whole interview thing, got the job offer letter through email. I signed it and worse still, send a copy of my DL.
Then I became suspicious about the whole 1099-k structure, all the while being called an employee, and the way yesterday this "handler" was eager to send me a check before even sending me any paperwork to complete and ask me to deposit it to my account and use that amount to pay for equipment and software. Luckily I did not provide my social security number. At that p
... See more
I did the whole interview thing, got the job offer letter through email. I signed it and worse still, send a copy of my DL.
Then I became suspicious about the whole 1099-k structure, all the while being called an employee, and the way yesterday this "handler" was eager to send me a check before even sending me any paperwork to complete and ask me to deposit it to my account and use that amount to pay for equipment and software. Luckily I did not provide my social security number. At that point I googled Carl Zeiss scam and was let right
The check arrived this morning. I called the supposed check issuing credit union to verify the amount, and was told it was not a good check.
The handler did not know that I was calling "his" CU. He asked me to take a picture of the check and text it to him. I should have asked for his phone number at that point, but I was mad and just told him flat out to go F@$% himself, and that he will rot in hell. I did ask him why not trying to go find an honest job, instead of all these.
Collapse

Marquis
Marquis
United States
English to Polish
+ ...
Thanks for sharing Tomek. Jan 31, 2019

I just got the very same offer. Apparently, this is a new scam. They need to get caught How stupid do these people think we are?????

Lisa Grayson
Lisa Grayson  Identity Verified
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
Almost fell for it Jan 31, 2019

I confess that I was ready to answer the "Zeiss" e-mail, since business has been slow lately, but the gmail addresses and supposed portfolio review on the ATA (American Translators Association) site seemed fishy, so I checked here before replying. So much for my budding career editing technical manuals on lenses!

I have just sent the following e-mail to Carl Zeiss AG via the US contac
... See more
I confess that I was ready to answer the "Zeiss" e-mail, since business has been slow lately, but the gmail addresses and supposed portfolio review on the ATA (American Translators Association) site seemed fishy, so I checked here before replying. So much for my budding career editing technical manuals on lenses!

I have just sent the following e-mail to Carl Zeiss AG via the US contact page on the company's web site (www.zeiss.com/corporate/us/contact-us.html); you may want to follow suit, or take other steps to notify Zeiss.

[Message] Please know that scammers have been masquerading as Carl Zeiss employees and sending fraudulent employment offers to translators around the world.

I received such an e-mail yesterday from "Christopher Thompson" but signed by "Angelika Franzke," offering to have me interview with "Charmaine Collins."

Fortunately I checked a translators' online forum on ProZ.com and discovered that the offer was completely fake. Other translators discovered that the scammers are based in Nigeria, and sometimes use the names of actual Zeiss employees.

If you would like me to forward the e-mail I received kindly let me know where to send it. Thank you.[End message]

Thanks to everyone for the warning! Maybe the Zeiss IT and legal departments can track down the scammer(s).

[Edited at 2019-01-31 22:01 GMT]
Collapse

Julia Grawemeyer
Julia Grawemeyer
United States
French to English
Consequences of scam Feb 4, 2019

Carmen Schultz wrote:

Unfortunately, I fell victim to this scam. When I called the main number that I googled ( the one in letter just rang and no one picked up), I asked the operator if he could verify the identities of the persons who contacted me and he said that although he could not locate them, the company hires external recruiters who are contractors and may not be listed. So I did the interview via Google Hangouts, which the interviewer explained was due to the information he was going to share.
The thing is the offer sounded so good that I sent the signed offer letter as requested and proof of identity ( license); not only do I feel taken for a fool but very worried about my license in the wrong hands. I tried to contact the FTC but because of government shutdown, I cannot file a report with them. I am going to contact the three main credit bureaus and other government authorities.

I unfortunately also provided my DL as well, which thankfully has an expired address. One thing you can do if they have a photo of you license is to have your license number changed. Filing a local police report will most likely help make your case at the BMV. States have different ways of handling this, so I will be going prepared with the police report to support my case to change it.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Fraudulent Carl Zeiss employment offer (mod.: Nigerian scam)

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »