Katarzyna Slowikova
Katarzyna Slowikova  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 16:59
English to Czech
+ ...
They don't get it either Mar 18, 2019

Robert Rietvelt wrote:

What I mean, we are not exactly the best paid profession in the world. If I were a scammer, I wouldn't put all my efforts in scamming translators, but would go for something more 'substantial', so 'real money' in stead of 'peanuts'.

I don't get it, hence my question.

[Edited at 2019-03-08 16:42 GMT]

[Edited at 2019-03-08 17:00 GMT]

I think the answer is, these guys aren't that smart... the lowest class of criminals.
Have a look at some of the stories here:

https://www.419eater.com/html/letters.htm

Not the sharpest tools... you almost feel sorry for them poor dumb things.

Katarzyna Slowikova
Germany
English to Czech
+ ...
They don't "take" it, you "give" it to them Mar 18, 2019

MK2010 wrote:

By both Patricia and Stacey. The big question we have is, can someone take money from your account if they have your bank info? I've been a victim of the overscam via check, but this one was via bank. They haven't transferred money to her account yet. I personally don't think they can take money out.

[Edited at 2019-03-13 00:39 GMT]

There has been a post in this forum not that long ago where someone, I believe from the US, explained that it's possible to send a cheque that's cashed to your account automatically, without your decision or knowledge. You see money on your account, maybe not even realizing they came via cheque (that's not cleared yet at this point) and feel confident enough to send the requested amount back.
I don't believe though this is possible in Europe.... though I may be wrong, in the countries I've lived in the cheques are completely obsolete, so I don't know much about how they work.

Liviu-Lee Roth

Liviu-Lee Roth
Liviu-Lee Roth
United States
Local time: 11:59
Romanian to English
+ ...
Do not underestimate these scammers Mar 19, 2019

Katarzyna Slowikova wrote:

Robert Rietvelt wrote:

What I mean, we are not exactly the best paid profession in the world. If I were a scammer, I wouldn't put all my efforts in scamming translators, but would go for something more 'substantial', so 'real money' in stead of 'peanuts'.

I don't get it, hence my question.

[Edited at 2019-03-08 16:42 GMT]

[Edited at 2019-03-08 17:00 GMT]

I think the answer is, these guys aren't that smart... the lowest class of criminals.
Have a look at some of the stories here:

https://www.419eater.com/html/letters.htm

Not the sharpest tools... you almost feel sorry for them poor dumb things.

I beg to differ.
My line of translation work offers me the opportunity to learn a little more about these cybercrimes and cybercriminals. Recently, a large group was arrested after being able to obtain over $50 millions from gullible victims. It took several law enforcement agencies from different countries more than four years to identify and arrest them. Unfortunately, they are not dumb at all. They play the numbers.

Better get informed and stay safe
Lee

Kaspars Melkis

MK2010
MK2010  Identity Verified
United States
French to English
+ ...
Actually... Mar 19, 2019

...my friend lives in France and the scammers did manage to deposit the check into her account. Yeah, I don't know how they do it, they must be good. And there must be enough people to fall for it for them to keep trying.

And: I know the scam is about the victim sending the scammer money, but we were also wondering what the danger was of someone having all your bank info. I don't think someone can just take money out without being scrutinized by the banking institution, though, so
... See more
...my friend lives in France and the scammers did manage to deposit the check into her account. Yeah, I don't know how they do it, they must be good. And there must be enough people to fall for it for them to keep trying.

And: I know the scam is about the victim sending the scammer money, but we were also wondering what the danger was of someone having all your bank info. I don't think someone can just take money out without being scrutinized by the banking institution, though, so that at least is a relief.

There has been a post in this forum not that long ago where someone, I believe from the US, explained that it's possible to send a cheque that's cashed to your account automatically, without your decision or knowledge. You see money on your account, maybe not even realizing they came via cheque (that's not cleared yet at this point) and feel confident enough to send the requested amount back.
I don't believe though this is possible in Europe.... though I may be wrong, in the countries I've lived in the cheques are completely obsolete, so I don't know much about how they work.

[Edited at 2019-03-19 14:45 GMT]

[Edited at 2019-03-19 14:46 GMT]
Collapse

Corinne Dos Santos
Corinne Dos Santos
France
English to French
+ ...
stacey tolder Mar 22, 2019

MK2010 wrote:

By both Patricia and Stacey. The big question we have is, can someone take money from your account if they have your bank info? I've been a victim of the overscam via check, but this one was via bank. They haven't transferred money to her account yet. I personally don't think they can take money out.

[Edited at 2019-03-13 00:39 GMT]

Hello,
Did you have any scam problems with Stacey?
How was the content?
She asked me for the english>french translation of an out-of-date document about global warming etc. for a presentation for students when it is really an article. And you can find a lot of articles in French about this subject, updated.

In advance, thank you for your feedback.

laetitia vagner
laetitia vagner
France
English to French
+ ...
The truth Mar 25, 2019

I was asked the same by Stacey, same document about oceans and global warming. I find out it was a scam after few days. I continue to talk with her in order to discover what was the trick. So they told you you gonna receive a payment that was not yours, and have to send back the difference. It is a fact YOU CANNOT HACK A BANK ACCOUNT WITH ONLY BANK INFO. However they did manage to deposit a check on my account, turned out it is without provision so it appear on the account and few days later the... See more
I was asked the same by Stacey, same document about oceans and global warming. I find out it was a scam after few days. I continue to talk with her in order to discover what was the trick. So they told you you gonna receive a payment that was not yours, and have to send back the difference. It is a fact YOU CANNOT HACK A BANK ACCOUNT WITH ONLY BANK INFO. However they did manage to deposit a check on my account, turned out it is without provision so it appear on the account and few days later the amount disapear as their account doesn’t have the money. You see a huge amount on your account so people fall into the truck and send back money when they will actually have nothing at the end.
The best is to not answer to those people that reach you out by email asking for a quote. I guess i someone really want your service they will talk to you via ProZ first before to send personnal email.
Collapse

Fabrizio Pomioli
Fabrizio Pomioli
France
English to Italian
+ ...
Same scam here Jun 6, 2019

On 11/04/2019 13:16, Karen Wilson via ProZ.com wrote:
> Vous avez reçu un message via ProZ.com.
>
> Auteur: Karen Wilson [NOTE : l'auteur n'est pas un membre de ProZ.com
> ou n'était pas identifié lors de l'envoi de ce message.]
> Adresse IP de l'auteur: 185.128.27.247
> Type de message: Job-related

Email of the scammer : [email protected]

Jean Poulmarc'h
Jean Poulmarc'h
France
English to French
+ ...
I'm an idiot. Aug 8, 2019

I'm starting out and I guess I was tired or in a hurry or something...

Cause I just fell for one of these. The email was [email protected]

I had second thoughts right after sending my bank info for the payment, looked around on Pro Z and found this thread.

Do I need to contact my bank asap about this? I guess it's very unlikely that someone could get access to my account with onl
... See more

I had second thoughts right after sending my bank info for the payment, looked around on Pro Z and found this thread.

Do I need to contact my bank asap about this? I guess it's very unlikely that someone could get access to my account with only my bank info.
Collapse

Roxanne M.
NASS BES (X)
celine brugel (X)

Roxanne M.
Roxanne M.
France
French to Romanian
+ ...
Have been scammed too Aug 13, 2019

MK2010 wrote:

And: I know the scam is about the victim sending the scammer money, but we were also wondering what the danger was of someone having all your bank info. I don't think someone can just take money out without being scrutinized by the banking institution, though, so that at least is a relief.

[Edited at 2019-03-19 14:45 GMT]

[Edited at 2019-03-19 14:46 GMT]

Hello I just realized I have been trapped into this scam, too. Can you tell me more about what happened to your French friend after she gave her account info?

Here is the info of the person

Here is my personal information for your perusal

Baines, Roaselind A.
10300 Shady Ln #1802,
Houston, TX, 77093-0000

Thank you

celine brugel (X)

Roxanne M.
Roxanne M.
France
French to Romanian
+ ...
Me too Aug 13, 2019

Jean Poulmarc'h wrote:

Do I need to contact my bank asap about this? I guess it's very unlikely that someone could get access to my account with only my bank info.

Salut,
Tu dois juste surveiller ton compte bancaire tous les jours, pour voir s'il n'y a pas de prélèvement sans ton autorisation.
Si tu constates un "mouvement" bizarre, tu dois appeler ta banque tout de suite et faire opposition. Tu as 8 jours pour faire opposition, et l'argent revient dans ton compte.
(Je viens juste de revenir de la banque... j'ai demandé conseil)

Laurel Thompson
Laurel Thompson  Identity Verified
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
Bank scam? Aug 14, 2019

Hi

I received the note at the end of this comment from Jolene Ebanks today:

She did not ask for my bank info, just a full name, address, and cell phone number.

For some reason, I feel suspicious. But what could she do with that info, as long as I did not provide my bank info?

Any comments would be helpful. Thanks in advance!

Here is the note:

I quite agree with your price quote and I am willing to pay for your ser
... See more
Hi

She did not ask for my bank info, just a full name, address, and cell phone number.

For some reason, I feel suspicious. But what could she do with that info, as long as I did not provide my bank info?

Here is the note:

I quite agree with your price quote and I am willing to pay for your service.

This project is a research paper being sponsor for a seminar coming up soon,

so I would like to make an advance payment or make the full payment so you

know you have my job with you but the payment can only made by Check and is

Within the US only, do get back to me with the following payment information

in the format below.

1. Full Name to be written on the Check

2. Full Physical Address:

3. Mobile number

Your payment will be prepared once I have the requested details. Payment will

be received before you send the document. Get back to me asap
Collapse

Liviu-Lee Roth
Liviu-Lee Roth
United States
Romanian to English
+ ...
standard text sold on the dark web Aug 14, 2019

Laurel Thompson wrote:

Hi

Here is the note:

I quite agree with your price quote and I am willing to pay for your service.

This project is a research paper being sponsor for a seminar coming up soon,

so I would like to make an advance payment or make the full payment so you

know you have my job with you but the payment can only made by Check and is

Within the US only, do get back to me with the following payment information

in the format below.

1. Full Name to be written on the Check

2. Full Physical Address:

3. Mobile number

Your payment will be prepared once I have the requested details. Payment will

be received before you send the document. Get back to me asap

These texts are sold online on platforms (forums) for criminals. Do not reply, do not engage the scammer. Name and IP addresses are, most of the time, irrelevant.

Stay safe,
Lee

[Edited at 2019-08-14 01:02 GMT]

Katarzyna Slowikova

Katarzyna Slowikova
Germany
English to Czech
+ ...
She tells you exactly what she's going to do Aug 14, 2019

Laurel Thompson wrote:

But what could she do with that info, as long as I did not provide my bank info?

You have the answer in point 1 of this phony email (which indeed is the most worn out version of the scam message, only in this forum you'd find several threads quoting exactly the same text, if you bother to make a search).
Just don't cash the cheque and you're imho safe.

Katarzyna Slowikova
Germany
English to Czech
+ ...
Yes. Aug 14, 2019

Jean Poulmarc'h wrote:

I would, if I were you. You'll probably have a large sum of (non-existent) money deposited to your account soon, so it's good to be proactive. Moreover, a post in another thread suggested they deposit the money posing as the account owner, i.e. YOU. This may get you into real trouble, if the bank believes it was indeed you who deposited a fake cheque into your bank account.

NASS BES (X)
NASS BES (X)
France
English to French
+ ...
Je viens moi aussi de me faire avoir par cette personne. Aug 26, 2019

Jean Poulmarc'h wrote:

celine brugel (X)

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Bank Information Scammers

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »