Joel Pina Diaz
Joel Pina Diaz  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 05:47
English to Spanish
+ ...
Feb 22, 2019

Scam at Guru and other freelancing sites
Modus operandi - job offer, claims to be part of Lionbridge or other big company, first name contact Peter McAllister second name used Steven Calvin, first contact mail requesting week or daily output, basic data and rates plus CV, second mail (you are invited to participate to our project) he attached contract, video and job instructions, the offer includes an "advanced payment" (here you ALWAYS suspect an scam). Third mail he sent the "payment vi
... See more
Scam at Guru and other freelancing sites
Modus operandi - job offer, claims to be part of Lionbridge or other big company, first name contact Peter McAllister second name used Steven Calvin, first contact mail requesting week or daily output, basic data and rates plus CV, second mail (you are invited to participate to our project) he attached contract, video and job instructions, the offer includes an "advanced payment" (here you ALWAYS suspect an scam). Third mail he sent the "payment via Transferwise (simple check Transferwise number and "payment" does not exists, claims had been "added" the money to pay the software you will use to work everyday (site: www.reojen.com) a fake software site where a payment must be made in order to download, payment primary Skrill (Skrill has been advised) and other CC... Do not (NEVER) make a payment in advance for anything... Other sites involved: www.listverse.com, www.toptenz.net and www.therichest.com.

Be safe and always monitoring your customers before any job.

Regards
Collapse

Daniel Manuel
Luísa Pires

EYRE-M
EYRE-M
Germany
Local time: 12:47
English to Spanish
+ ...
Thank you for warning against this scam Apr 23, 2019

Hi Joel,

Thank you for alerting us about this scam.

I was about to accept a "job offer" that followed exactly the same pattern you described:

1. Job offer
2. Request to send an email to the contact person (Alina Hamza, in my case) including previous translation samples, CV and other experience details.
3. Receipt of an email from the contact person containing a link to the job description and the contract to be completed (personal data, hourly
... See more
Hi Joel,

Thank you for alerting us about this scam.

I was about to accept a "job offer" that followed exactly the same pattern you described:

1. Job offer
2. Request to send an email to the contact person (Alina Hamza, in my case) including previous translation samples, CV and other experience details.
3. Receipt of an email from the contact person containing a link to the job description and the contract to be completed (personal data, hourly rate, per word rate, estimated number of words I can translate in a week), signed and sent back to the said person.

I began to suspect that the "job offer" was a scam, the moment I read "one week PAYMENT IN ADVANCE" and "we can send you FUNDS IN ADVANCE for any of your expenses for marketing automation software and any other tools you might need". In addition, I was required to register with www.reojen.com providing my personal data and other details in order to buy said tools.
I decided to do some online research and I came across your post confirming my suspicions.
I also fund a couple of forums related to www.reojen.com where people said the site is a fraud.

So, although the idea of working/collaborating with Lionbridge is attractive, I prefer to keep working with direct clients and to use other well-known translation platforms.

Again, thank you for relating your bad experience to others and alerting about this scam. I registered with Proz only because I wanted to leave a comment in hope it will help other freelancers.

[Edited at 2019-04-23 17:53 GMT]
Collapse

Luísa Pires

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Scam alert UK/Germany / AKA Peter McAllister or Steven Calvin

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »