Claire Ziamandanis
Claire Ziamandanis  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:00
Member (2016)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Jun 12, 2019

The two near identical emails were a good hint that things were not right. First Penguin Random solicited an interview through Google Hangouts. Then three days later a near duplicate email came from Bayer, a large pharma out of Germany, but apparently Bayer is motivated by the statement that made much more sense on a Penguin/Random solicitation:
“…We believe in the power of reading to connect and transform us in ways small and large…”

After digging through some fo
... See more
The two near identical emails were a good hint that things were not right. First Penguin Random solicited an interview through Google Hangouts. Then three days later a near duplicate email came from Bayer, a large pharma out of Germany, but apparently Bayer is motivated by the statement that made much more sense on a Penguin/Random solicitation:
“…We believe in the power of reading to connect and transform us in ways small and large…”

After digging through some forums from February, it seems the scammers "interview" translators, then hire them, but first the translator has to purchase software for a 5 day trial. There you go. You can be sure there will be no work after purchasing "software", if there even is any such software.
Collapse

Meridy Lippoldt

writeaway
writeaway  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
Nothing new under the (Proz) sun Jun 12, 2019

https://www.proz.com/forum/scams/332845-new_scam_penguin_random_house.html

Yolanda Broad
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida

Gabriella Vento
Gabriella Vento  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:00
Member (2015)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Same here Jun 21, 2019

I received the same email.
The link to the PRH website goes here:
https://career5.successfactors.eu/
Very convincing ...:-)

Laura Hafner
Laura Hafner  Identity Verified
Canada
Member (2014)
Portuguese to English
+ ...
I got them both... Aug 3, 2019

...2 days apart, no less.

Yes, Mr. Bayer executive, I believe your Gmail address totally supports your credibility. Sounds legit to me!

(eyeroll)

Laura Hafner
Laura Hafner  Identity Verified
Canada
Member (2014)
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Update Aug 8, 2019

Two more times, just this week (Bayer).

Each from a different person, always from a Gmail address.

Maxi Schwarz
Maxi Schwarz  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:00
German to English
+ ...
I got a "Bayer" message today Aug 9, 2019

A gmail address. No request for a specific translation, not even a language pair mentioned. I'm noting the many times the definite or indefinite article is missing.
In part it reads:

"I write to present Bayer AG Translator job Position, We dedicate ourselves to provide a superior customer experience by delivering original, adjustable and value driven solutions. Our values: People, Virtue, Profitability, Responsibility, Imagination, we’re in search of individuals, compan
... See more
A gmail address. No request for a specific translation, not even a language pair mentioned. I'm noting the many times the definite or indefinite article is missing.
In part it reads:

"I write to present Bayer AG Translator job Position, We dedicate ourselves to provide a superior customer experience by delivering original, adjustable and value driven solutions. Our values: People, Virtue, Profitability, Responsibility, Imagination, we’re in search of individuals, company irrespective of the current business type for a Translator Position. "
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SCAM - Penguin Random House, Bayer pharma

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »