Most efficient way to merge TermStar duplicates?
Thread poster: Iris Kleinophorst
Iris Kleinophorst
Iris Kleinophorst  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 10:31
Chinese to German
+ ...
Jun 15, 2018

Hi,

does anyone know an efficient way to merge duplicates in TermStar? I have customer terminology dbs containing thousand of entries, and a lot among them are duplicates. I have already reimported the dictionaries and extracted all entries that are completely identical via the import menu. However, many of them are duplicates with differing target language entries that I would like to keep. But they clutter up my dictionary window during translation.

For smaller databa
... See more
Hi,

does anyone know an efficient way to merge duplicates in TermStar? I have customer terminology dbs containing thousand of entries, and a lot among them are duplicates. I have already reimported the dictionaries and extracted all entries that are completely identical via the import menu. However, many of them are duplicates with differing target language entries that I would like to keep. But they clutter up my dictionary window during translation.

For smaller databases, I usually just filter the duplicates and merge them manually by copying and inserting. For these thousands of entries, this does not seem to be realistic.

Any suggestions?

TIA
Iris
Collapse

oerjan
oerjan
Local time: 10:31
German to Swedish
Have you tried using Termstar? Jun 15, 2018

Hi Iris,

Have you tried using Termstar?

If you open Termstar and then go
Wörterbücher (the button 'Glossaries' down to the left) -> Wörterbucher/Datenbanken ->
Wörterbucher/Datenbanken verwalten (manage) ->
Select your glossary (not the database) ->
Import/Export ->
Daten einarbeiten/hinzufügen (merge/add) ->
Doppelte Datensätze einarbeiten, neue Datensätze hinzufügen (merge duplicates, add new entries) ->
Neu (the but
... See more
Hi Iris,

Have you tried using Termstar?

If you open Termstar and then go
Wörterbücher (the button 'Glossaries' down to the left) -> Wörterbucher/Datenbanken ->
Wörterbucher/Datenbanken verwalten (manage) ->
Select your glossary (not the database) ->
Import/Export ->
Daten einarbeiten/hinzufügen (merge/add) ->
Doppelte Datensätze einarbeiten, neue Datensätze hinzufügen (merge duplicates, add new entries) ->
Neu (the button New to the right of the inset window) ->
Choose the field that Termstar should check to decide whether the entry is a duplicate; probably you will first expand the source language, then expand "Eintrag" (entry), select "Benennung" (term?, 'the word(s)') ->
Click "Definieren" (define) ->
Check the setting boxes you want ->
Verkställ (execute - the button to the right in the bottom line) ->
Ok -> Give it a name ->
Select the file to import (the file format might be troublesome) ->
Start
Open the glossary to check whether it works.

My 2 öre
Örjan
Collapse

Geneviève Granger

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Synonyms Jun 15, 2018

Iris Kleinophorst wrote:

However, many of them are duplicates with differing target language entries that I would like to keep. But they clutter up my dictionary window during translation.

I used to treat them as 'synonyms' and imported the lines in the format:

source term TAB CHARACTER target one|target two|target three

I must have this import definition somewhere.

But first, you'll have to get from your raw data to this import format.

You can use Excel for this.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maya Gorgoshidze[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Most efficient way to merge TermStar duplicates?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »