Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Future of Comprehensive Dictionary of Information & Technology (GWIT) after its author passed away.
Thread poster: Michael Beijer
Matthijs Frankena
Matthijs Frankena  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 16:37
Member (2008)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Currently only available through Unilex Feb 1, 2018

Last update: EvoTerm referred me to Iris Hensel (Oxtoby's wife?), but she's not replying to emails.

The only option now is Unilex, which offers both online access and a download version. According to the person who replied to my email, some people would be interested in continuing the management of this dictionary, but as of now that's still not decided. I guess it will still be useful for existing terminology, up to a point where too much new terminology has developed that is not a
... See more
Last update: EvoTerm referred me to Iris Hensel (Oxtoby's wife?), but she's not replying to emails.

The only option now is Unilex, which offers both online access and a download version. According to the person who replied to my email, some people would be interested in continuing the management of this dictionary, but as of now that's still not decided. I guess it will still be useful for existing terminology, up to a point where too much new terminology has developed that is not added to the GWIT.

I think I'll also buy the download version. And maybe there are other dictionaries in the Unilex catalogue that are useful to me.
Collapse

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:37
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I'm one of those people that would be interested in continuing the management of the dictionary. Feb 1, 2018

Matthijs Frankena wrote:

The only option now is Unilex, which offers both online access and a download version. According to the person who replied to my email, some people would be interested in continuing the management of this dictionary, but as of now that's still not decided. I guess it will still be useful for existing terminology, up to a point where too much new terminology has developed that is not added to the GWIT.

I think I'll also buy the download version. And maybe there are other dictionaries in the Unilex catalogue that are useful to me.

Hi Matthijs,

I'm one of those people that would be interested in continuing the management of the dictionary. I've been in contact with Hans from Acolada, and he has been in contact with Graham's wife, but I haven't heard back from him for a wile, and have a feeling things got stuck somewhere.

I really hope they manage to sort something out because it would be a real shame if the entire database would merely remain in limbo forever, as it is now. In any event, I too got myself the download version, which I am happily using the time being.

I also got myself "Lexicon Financieel Management" (EnglishDutch)(see: http://www.acolada.de/xist4c/web/Lexicon-Financieel-Management--English-Dutch--Download_id_4583__dId_31060_.htm ), which is pretty good, although it doesn't really compare to Aart van den End's amazing JurLex/OGL.

Michael

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:37
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
2018-06-15 update Jun 15, 2018

I just sent another email to Hans, asking him if any progress has been made, and for Graham's wife's contact details. Will report back here if I hear anything.

Michael

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Future of Comprehensive Dictionary of Information & Technology (GWIT) after its author passed away.

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »