Danger: Computers generating text
Thread poster: Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Dec 5, 2022

This morning I read an article in the Dutch newspaper NRC about a computer generating text. Pretty shocking how well that computer comes up with natural sounding text. Text that confirms prejudices and stereotypes.

soaper

Recep Kurt
Recep Kurt  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 16:01
Member (2011)
English to Turkish
+ ...
And translating it Dec 5, 2022

Don't know if it is the same thing, but yesterday a friend of mine sent me a link to a chat AI, to take a look at what it does. That thing can 'answer' or rather 'explain' to you what you ask it. In a few seconds. I read some comments by people who used the service and a programmer was in shock that it answered a 'crackme' question he threw at it, even providing the code needed to solve the crackme challenge. I tried asking it some questions in Turkish and Russian, but it was obvious that it was... See more
Don't know if it is the same thing, but yesterday a friend of mine sent me a link to a chat AI, to take a look at what it does. That thing can 'answer' or rather 'explain' to you what you ask it. In a few seconds. I read some comments by people who used the service and a programmer was in shock that it answered a 'crackme' question he threw at it, even providing the code needed to solve the crackme challenge. I tried asking it some questions in Turkish and Russian, but it was obvious that it was using machine translation to translate the answers from English and so the answers in Turkish and Russian were not that 'good'. But that it is able to provide you with 'legitimate' (sounding?) answers in English is impressive, to say the least...Collapse

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
TOPIC STARTER
Drawings Dec 5, 2022

Recep Kurt wrote:

But that it is able to provide you with 'legitimate' (sounding?) answers in English is impressive, to say the least...

AI is also able to create drawings, based on input in natural language. Like this one:

Screen Shot 2022-12-05 at 08.28.19

Instruction (translated from Dutch): An illustration of people with smartphones building the Tower of Babel.

Robert Such
Robert Such  Identity Verified
Member (2020)
French to English
+ ...
Futurepedia.io Dec 5, 2022

There are quite a few: https://www.futurepedia.io/

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Local time: 15:01
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
LoL Dec 5, 2022

Robert Such wrote:

There are quite a few: https://www.futurepedia.io/

I listened to a podcast from this website, and both of them (the host and the guest) sounded as if they were drunk. Terrible to listen to: https://podcast.ai/?utm_source=futurepedia

I’ve been using “Siri” app on iPhone for quite some time, that’s an AI thing. It’s not bad, but it’s also pretty limited. Have’t found it working in any other language but English. It surprised me with some answers, eg. I say “Good morning Siri” at 2 pm, he replies “It’s 2 pm”. Just because it has some impressive features doesn’t mean it’s impressive or great overall.

The main reason I would read one article over another, or listen to one podcast over another is an emotional color. Can AI provide this?

Denis Fesik
Denis Fesik
English to Russian
+ ...
Stare into the abyss... Dec 5, 2022

I used 'Okay Google' once, and once only. Is it just me or are there enough people here who are find no pleasure or fun in talking to AI? My little niece does sometimes talk to Siri, but she gets annoyed by how stupid that thing is. Maybe old bores like me should start catching up with the advanced crowd, after all. Who knows if the future of talking won't be exclusively AI-dominated. But whenever I open a video narrated narrated by a robot, I close it right away even if the content seems intere... See more
I used 'Okay Google' once, and once only. Is it just me or are there enough people here who are find no pleasure or fun in talking to AI? My little niece does sometimes talk to Siri, but she gets annoyed by how stupid that thing is. Maybe old bores like me should start catching up with the advanced crowd, after all. Who knows if the future of talking won't be exclusively AI-dominated. But whenever I open a video narrated narrated by a robot, I close it right away even if the content seems interestingCollapse

Lingua 5B
Kevin Fulton

Mr. Satan (X)
Mr. Satan (X)
English to Indonesian
AI-generated drawing Dec 5, 2022

Hans Lenting wrote:

AI is also able to create drawings, based on input in natural language.

…and won a fine arts contest!

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2022/08/ai-wins-state-fair-art-contest-annoys-humans/

[Edited at 2022-12-05 11:32 GMT]

Lingua 5B
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Yes Dec 5, 2022

Denis Fesik wrote:
whenever I open a video narrated narrated by a robot, I close it right away even if the content seems interesting

I close it if it's an annoying human voice I don't like, let alone a robot. I could never watch that content until the end.

IrinaN
IrinaN
United States
Local time: 08:01
English to Russian
+ ...
Siri is great for driving Dec 5, 2022

It announces calls from my contacts and places calls on command, declines spam risks, writes messages, reads messages and replies, helps with navigation. Not for a second do I need to take my eyes off the road. It even tries to read Cyrillic, which is funny but once in a while I can distinguish a word or too. All I need is to dictate in English something like "I'm driving, switch to English or call, if urgent". It's all hands-free, of course. Just use it briefly and sparingly, driving and safety... See more
It announces calls from my contacts and places calls on command, declines spam risks, writes messages, reads messages and replies, helps with navigation. Not for a second do I need to take my eyes off the road. It even tries to read Cyrillic, which is funny but once in a while I can distinguish a word or too. All I need is to dictate in English something like "I'm driving, switch to English or call, if urgent". It's all hands-free, of course. Just use it briefly and sparingly, driving and safety come first.Collapse

Lingua 5B

Matthias Brombach
Matthias Brombach  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
I'm looking forward... Dec 5, 2022

...to new novels created in the writing style of price winning German writers who already passed away, like Simmel, Konsalik, and Karl May. Even AI systems in their early stadium should now be able to copy their styles and plots. And forum posts, too!

Christopher Schröder

Lingua 5B
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Yeah it has uses Dec 5, 2022

IrinaN wrote:

It announces calls from my contacts and places calls on command, declines spam risks, writes messages, reads messages and replies, helps with navigation. Not for a second do I need to take my eyes off the road. It even tries to read Cyrillic, which is funny but once in a while I can distinguish a word or too. All I need is to dictate in English something like "I'm driving, switch to English or call, if urgent". It's all hands-free, of course. Just use it briefly and sparingly, driving and safety come first.

When I am baking and my hands covered in dough I just politely ask "Hey Siri, set the timer for 15 minutes" LOL

Recep Kurt
Recep Kurt  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Member (2011)
English to Turkish
+ ...
Yes Dec 5, 2022

Hans Lenting wrote:

Recep Kurt wrote:

But that it is able to provide you with 'legitimate' (sounding?) answers in English is impressive, to say the least...

AI is also able to create drawings, based on input in natural language. Like this one:

Screen Shot 2022-12-05 at 08.28.19

Instruction (translated from Dutch): An illustration of people with smartphones building the Tower of Babel.

A friend of mine, a musician, is working on a clip and is generating the story line using such a service. The images the AI can generate are impressive, if you figure out how to provide the right input.

Lingua 5B
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Further comments Dec 5, 2022

IMO, the quoted image is not impressive at all. It's very basic from a graphic design POV.

Not sure about artwork predictability, imagination, planning, etc. Can AI predict or visualize its outcome? For instance, a movie director has a vision of the entire movie in their head before the production work starts in its initial stages. Can AI do that?

Philip Lees
Philip Lees  Identity Verified
Greece
Greek to English
Forget the "I" Dec 6, 2022

Lingua 5B wrote:

Not sure about artwork predictability, imagination, planning, etc. Can AI predict or visualize its outcome? For instance, a movie director has a vision of the entire movie in their head before the production work starts in its initial stages. Can AI do that?

AI doesn't "visualise" anything. AI doesn't "understand" anything. All AI does is analyse an input and generate an output in accordance with a set of algorithms. The results can be quite striking if the algorithm is sophisticated enough, and if the AI has sufficient existing material on which to draw. Some humans may find that impressive, but some humans are easily impressed.

I remember hearing about computer programs that could generate music "in the style of" Beethoven by doing statistical sampling of the music Beethoven had written. This was back in the 1960s (I think on the TV programme "Tomorrow's World"), but nobody called it "intelligence". The point to remember here is that Beethoven had to write his music first.

The same is true of these "natural" speech and text generators. The difference is that the body of material they can draw on is much, much larger and the algorithms are far more sophisticated.

AI doesn't think. It has no intention, no desires, no agenda (although its programmers may have any or all of those things). AI carries out impressive number-crunching tasks in an instant and may even convince you that it's behaving in some ways like a human being.

But AI is not intelligent.

At least, not yet.

Matthias Brombach
Robert Rietvelt
Sebastian Witte

Lingua 5B
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
On being impressed etc. Dec 6, 2022

Believe it or not, despite having a lot of educated consultants, corporations are easily impressed if you present them with anything that will “cut down their costs”. They will just run for the cost saving part without much critically analyzing anything. Then they will see just the one side and ignore the other (such as problems, errors, time consumption, additional costs from such a solution).

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Danger: Computers generating text

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »