Gerard de Noord  Identity Verified
Франция
Local time: 14:03
Член ProZ.com c 2003
английский => голландский
+ ...
I remember times when we only proofed the end result May 25, 2008

Samuel Murray wrote:

And since this is proofreading, it means you have to read the text in two languages, so multiply the word count by two. Can you read 18400 words in four hours?

In the past ten years proofreading has also become a euphemism for revising and editing. Nowadays we can either translate or proof a text, there's no step in between. I still make the old fashioned division between editing and proofing for the reason you name: do I have to read 1,000 or 2,000 words an hour? I'm thinking about adapting to the new situation.

Regards,
Gerard

Parrot
Parrot  Identity Verified
Испания
Local time: 14:03
испанский => английский
+ ...
Ballpark figures May 26, 2008

When I was working with Professional Congress Organizers, they set assembly-line figures for revision at 1,200 words/hour. (This was pretty mechanical work. The revisor checks your translation against the original - 2 languages - presuming you passed initial personnel screening for a reasonable degree of accuracy).

I've done proofreading that varied from 800 to 1,600 words/hour (poor to good translations) but have never exceeded that... the poor translations were almost complete rew
... See more
When I was working with Professional Congress Organizers, they set assembly-line figures for revision at 1,200 words/hour. (This was pretty mechanical work. The revisor checks your translation against the original - 2 languages - presuming you passed initial personnel screening for a reasonable degree of accuracy).

I've done proofreading that varied from 800 to 1,600 words/hour (poor to good translations) but have never exceeded that... the poor translations were almost complete rewrites. A quality check file increases the time spent.

HTH.
Collapse

Страниц в теме:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

When the PO does not reflect/account for the hours spent

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »