Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: Have you ever worked for a client who never paid you?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Hege Jakobsen Lepri
Hege Jakobsen Lepri  Identity Verified
Norway
Local time: 20:00
Member (2002)
English to Norwegian
+ ...
Only a couple of times for small amounts May 27, 2017

But in some cases it's taken so much time to chase payment that I probably would have made more money just marketing myself to new clients and working instead of all the hours wasted on phone calls.

But the nerve of some of the slow/bad payers is just amazing:

This week I got a threatening letter from an Italian client saying they would sue me for defamation for having left a rating of 3 on the Blue board (changed from a 1) when they paid me almost 6 months afte
... See more
But in some cases it's taken so much time to chase payment that I probably would have made more money just marketing myself to new clients and working instead of all the hours wasted on phone calls.

But the nerve of some of the slow/bad payers is just amazing:

This week I got a threatening letter from an Italian client saying they would sue me for defamation for having left a rating of 3 on the Blue board (changed from a 1) when they paid me almost 6 months after completing an urgent job over the Christmas holidays.
They somehow thought that paying at all made any criticism of them unfair and slanderous.
I pretty much answered, good luck with that, both convincing the court that this would fall under Italian jurisdiction (with me living in Canada and proz.com with offices in the US) and that a well-deserved mediocre score could be defined as defamation.

[Edited at 2017-05-27 20:33 GMT]
Collapse

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 19:00
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Can't pay or won't pay? May 27, 2017

In 20 years as a freelancer I've suffered two bankrupt clients and lost about €400 to each. Actually, the second one had scarpered with the company's cash, but she got caught within days and thrown in jail. Tougher on her toddler son than it was on me. Very sad.

Then a translator cum client got her life in such a mess that I preferred to write off the last job rather than staying in contact hoping for €12.50 one day. I just wanted out.

Then there was the client I su
... See more
In 20 years as a freelancer I've suffered two bankrupt clients and lost about €400 to each. Actually, the second one had scarpered with the company's cash, but she got caught within days and thrown in jail. Tougher on her toddler son than it was on me. Very sad.

Then a translator cum client got her life in such a mess that I preferred to write off the last job rather than staying in contact hoping for €12.50 one day. I just wanted out.

Then there was the client I successfully sued - I enjoyed that as they were treating me like dirt. I "only" got the full invoice amount plus legal fees and interest; the client apparently forked out many times that amount in total .

Nobody else has pushed me that far. Normally they pay up once they see I'm not going away. But I rarely have problems nowadays as all my regular clients pay within 30 days. (Typing while touching wood.)
Collapse

Nohkyung Park
Nohkyung Park  Identity Verified
South Korea
Local time: 03:00
English to Korean
Maybe naive May 27, 2017

7 years ago, took the first step as full-time freelance... 100K weighted words for three months in cruel hot summer... three con artists assuming a normal domestic agent, just like real one looked back even until now... but no contract, and only blank and repeated promise to pay for translation. Many victims like me could be found by a little web surfing then. No remedies forced me to concede, but fortunately survived it after a few days of rest.

[Edited at 2017-05-28 07:24 GMT]

[E
... See more
7 years ago, took the first step as full-time freelance... 100K weighted words for three months in cruel hot summer... three con artists assuming a normal domestic agent, just like real one looked back even until now... but no contract, and only blank and repeated promise to pay for translation. Many victims like me could be found by a little web surfing then. No remedies forced me to concede, but fortunately survived it after a few days of rest.

[Edited at 2017-05-28 07:24 GMT]

[Edited at 2017-05-28 07:25 GMT]
Collapse

DEVANATHAN RENGACHARI
DEVANATHAN RENGACHARI  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 23:30
English to Tamil
+ ...
Have you ever worked for a client who never paid you May 28, 2017

Hi,
I have had the experience of working for some clients who endlessly keep on asking for sample translations, but never get back to you afterwards. Now, I have learnt to ignore them.
On the other hand, one client wanted me to translate a book written in Singapore in English and wanted me to translate it to Tamil. Totally, the book had about 200 pages or so. He sent me first 22 pages for translation and then transferred an amount which will be good for about 65pages or so. I
... See more
Hi,
I have had the experience of working for some clients who endlessly keep on asking for sample translations, but never get back to you afterwards. Now, I have learnt to ignore them.
On the other hand, one client wanted me to translate a book written in Singapore in English and wanted me to translate it to Tamil. Totally, the book had about 200 pages or so. He sent me first 22 pages for translation and then transferred an amount which will be good for about 65pages or so. I did the sample translation and sent it to the client. The client was very happy and said that it does not look like a translated work, but looks like original work. After that, in spite of my following up with the client to send me the remaining pages -for over 20 times- he has not sent me the same, and the excess amount is lying with me.
I found this very strange.

Regards,
Devanathan.
Collapse

Chié_JP
Chié_JP
Japan
Local time: 03:00
Member (2013)
English to Japanese
+ ...
Yes May 28, 2017

Even 5 star blue board agency turned out to be a non payer. I think their names should come on non payer list on top page of ProZ to honor their crime. One was from Atlanta run by Vietnamese and Chinese names, still active on BB company name starts with an A.
The other in Thailand already banned from posting jobs.

Francesca Grandinetti
Francesca Grandinetti
Italy
German to Italian
+ ...
A lesson learnt (not) in time May 28, 2017

I had a lawsuit with a client who owed (and still owes) me €12000 and who filed for bankruptcy after I had already resorted to legal measures. After months of working together, he suddenly decided that my work and other colleagues' work wasn't "good enough" to be paid. Simply as that, without any evidence or proof. We all were young at that time, and I was the only freelancer in the group. The others had a "contract" with him, in which there was a clause that basically stated that they weren't... See more
I had a lawsuit with a client who owed (and still owes) me €12000 and who filed for bankruptcy after I had already resorted to legal measures. After months of working together, he suddenly decided that my work and other colleagues' work wasn't "good enough" to be paid. Simply as that, without any evidence or proof. We all were young at that time, and I was the only freelancer in the group. The others had a "contract" with him, in which there was a clause that basically stated that they weren't allowed to resort to legal measures in case of problems.

Of course this was an excuse, and we knew it: he quickly moved to another Country where he still lives and works (he set up his own agency, works in legal fields and often leads seminars and webinars). Apparently, he looked (and still does) absolutely professional, skilled and trustworthy.

On the other side, I won the lawsuit but I didn't get a penny, as he was declared bankrupt and there was nothing left for anybody.

This horrible experience taught me 2 things basically:

Business and friendship must stay on different paths;
Don't be afraid to stand up for yourself and resort to legal measures if necessary.

It's very liberating to write this here on Proz. I was scared in the beginning, as he was absolutely patronizing, intimidating and bossy, but in 2007 I was a newbie in translation and this trick almost caused me to stop my activity due to the economical damage I suffered from this Sir.

[Edited at 2017-05-28 07:45 GMT]
Collapse

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Yes May 28, 2017

Just this past February one client, who used to be a prompt payer, didn't pay my invoice. In fact, they didn't even acknowledge receipt of the translation. So this client went from being an excellent business partner to one with whom I will never do business again. Since they're located in Canada and the amount was too small to pursue the issue, I hope they're happy with the extra Dollars.

Ventnai
Ventnai  Identity Verified
Spain
German to English
+ ...
Twice May 28, 2017

Twice: once when I was younger and more naive and the second time was a company belonging to a father and son who I actually knew.

Mario Freitas
Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 15:00
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Yup, twice May 30, 2017

Before I had any client research and evaluation routine, I did two small jobs for two different clients in two different years, and I never received the payments. They both received a "1" in the Blue Board and were classified as such by other translators as well. They were both very stupid and very poor business people because they "burned" their names in the market for peanuts (both translations were less than $ 20).

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Have you ever worked for a client who never paid you?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »