Thread poster: Jennifer Forbes
Jennifer Forbes
Jennifer Forbes  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:54
French to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Apr 7, 2011

I sometimes look at visitors to my profile on Proz and quite often find it's been visited by someone who, according to the map, is in the Isle of Man.
Now, I don't have and never have had a client or contact in the Isle of Man and have never met anyone from there. What's going on? Is it possible that the person (or company) is actually based somewhere else, but has a Manx address or internet identity?
Is there any way I can find out who this Manx cat is?
Jenny

Alistair Ian Spearing Ortiz
Alistair Ian Spearing Ortiz  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 06:54
French to English
+ ...
Google Maps bugging again Apr 7, 2011

I think it's just a Google Maps bug. If you have a look at the profiles of most translators living in Catalonia you will see that, according to the map, they all live in the middle of the Mediterranean Sea, about 50 km from the shore.

You're possibly being visited by someone from Northern GB or even Ireland.

Jean-Pierre Artigau (X)
Jean-Pierre Artigau (X)
Canada
Local time: 00:54
English to French
+ ...
Might be anyone Apr 7, 2011

I sometimes look at people's profiles on Proz.com, for instance when they post some interesting comment that reflects some expertise, or when their language combinations are similar to mine, or when they have uncommon languages in their combinations, or when I suspect they might live near my place, although I never had any business relations with them.

You shouldn't worry about this, but we should all be conscious that any information posted on the net is likely to be seen by anyone
... See more
I sometimes look at people's profiles on Proz.com, for instance when they post some interesting comment that reflects some expertise, or when their language combinations are similar to mine, or when they have uncommon languages in their combinations, or when I suspect they might live near my place, although I never had any business relations with them.

You shouldn't worry about this, but we should all be conscious that any information posted on the net is likely to be seen by anyone on the planet, it's exactly how the net's function, istn't it?
Collapse

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 06:54
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Exactly Apr 8, 2011

Jean-Pierre Artigau wrote:
You shouldn't worry about this, but we should all be conscious that any information posted on the net is likely to be seen by anyone on the planet, it's exactly how the net's function, istn't it?

Exactly. If you don't want people to peek at your things... don't post them anywhere in the net.

Jennifer Forbes
Jennifer Forbes  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:54
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In memoriam
Not worried - just curious Apr 8, 2011

Thanks, everyone.
I'm not worried about it, just curious. Of course I don't object to people visiting my Proz profile - that's what it's there for.
I simply wondered if there's a way of identifying the visitor from the visitors page of the profile and whether the map one can conjour up from it really shows where the visitor is or whether it could, for instance, show the registered address of a company with offices elsewhere (e.g. in the middle of the Irish Sea ... )
Come on, Ma
... See more
Thanks, everyone.
I'm not worried about it, just curious. Of course I don't object to people visiting my Proz profile - that's what it's there for.
I simply wondered if there's a way of identifying the visitor from the visitors page of the profile and whether the map one can conjour up from it really shows where the visitor is or whether it could, for instance, show the registered address of a company with offices elsewhere (e.g. in the middle of the Irish Sea ... )
Come on, Manx cat, tell me who you are!
Best wishes,
Unworried Blue Eyes
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Manx mystery

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »