"Please try another card" error message received when trying to renew membership
Thread poster: Liv Fridtjofsen
Liv Fridtjofsen
Liv Fridtjofsen  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 20:41
English to Norwegian
+ ...
May 3, 2011

At the moment I have only a Spanish VISA card, and when I wanted to renew my membership this morning, I got the message "Please try another card." Why? There is nothing wrong with my card.

Also I would like why VAT is added since this is an international transaction.

Ines Areal Perez
Ines Areal Perez
Germany
English to Spanish
+ ...
Support Request May 3, 2011

If I were you, I will send a support Request to Proz.
Normally, they answer quite fast and they are really kind.

Lucia Leszinsky
Lucia Leszinsky
SITE STAFF
ProZ.com payment methods and VAT collection May 3, 2011

Hello Liv,

Please note that only AmEx, Visa, Master Card and Discover credit cards are accepted for ProZ.com transactions. If you do not have any of these cards, try using PayPal or 2Checkout as payment methods (other payment methods include Moneybookers, Western Union and bank transfer).

Regarding the collection of VAT, have in mind that, as a company selling a digital service "consumed" in the EU, ProZ.com is obligated by the EU to collect VAT at the national rate of
... See more
Hello Liv,

Please note that only AmEx, Visa, Master Card and Discover credit cards are accepted for ProZ.com transactions. If you do not have any of these cards, try using PayPal or 2Checkout as payment methods (other payment methods include Moneybookers, Western Union and bank transfer).

Regarding the collection of VAT, have in mind that, as a company selling a digital service "consumed" in the EU, ProZ.com is obligated by the EU to collect VAT at the national rate of the consumer, and to remit all VAT collected to a single EU country in a quarterly basis.

For more information, see: http://europa.eu.int/comm/taxation_customs/taxation/vat/traders/e-commerce/article_1610_en.htm

Hope this explains.

Please let me know how it goes.

Kind regards,

Lucía
Collapse

Norbert Hermann
Norbert Hermann  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:41
English to German
+ ...
I had the same when using my card for purchases on proz... May 3, 2011

I contacted the issuer who for security reasons blocked these transactions (i. e. outside Europe) automatically. The block was lifted there and then and I was able to complete my purchases. My advice would be to get in touch with your card issuer.

writeaway
writeaway  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
If the transaction is considered to be outside Europe May 3, 2011

Hermann wrote:

I contacted the issuer who for security reasons blocked these transactions (i. e. outside Europe) automatically. The block was lifted there and then and I was able to complete my purchases. My advice would be to get in touch with your card issuer.

Then why should VAT apply? Does Proz still have a German account.
Fwiw, the EU link is obsolete

Lucia Leszinsky
Lucia Leszinsky
SITE STAFF
The collection of VAT is connected to the place where the service is used May 3, 2011

writeaway wrote:

Hermann wrote:

Then why should VAT apply? Does Proz still have a German account.
Fwiw, the EU link is obsolete

The collection of VAT is not connected to the payment method used, but to the service ProZ.com provides to be "consumed" in the EU.

Lucía

Stephanie Busch
Stephanie Busch  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
VAT appears only on the first page of the form May 3, 2011

at least for me:

When I make a ProZ.com purchase, the first payment page shows the amount plus VAT, but from the second page onwards VAT is not mentioned any more. (Be sure to enter your VAT ID on the first page of the form if you live in the EU.)

I live in Germany, and I have never paid VAT on ProZ.com membership or trainings.

Lucia Leszinsky
Lucia Leszinsky
SITE STAFF
To avoid paying VAT to ProZ.com enter your VAT ID into the payment form May 3, 2011

Stephanie Busch wrote:

at least for me:

When I make a ProZ.com purchase, the first payment page shows the amount plus VAT, but from the second page onwards VAT is not mentioned any more. (Be sure to enter your VAT ID on the first page of the form if you live in the EU.)

I live in Germany, and I have never paid VAT on ProZ.com membership or trainings.

Right, Stephanie! If you would like to avoid paying VAT to ProZ.com when making a purchase, simply enter your VAT ID in step 1 of the payment form. VAT will be deducted from the total amount in step 2.

Lucía

Liv Fridtjofsen
Liv Fridtjofsen  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Norwegian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks to all! May 4, 2011

A million thanks to Lucía that even called me and guided me step by step thru' the transaction! What a friendly thing to do!!

Thank you again!

Liv

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

"Please try another card" error message received when trying to renew membership

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »