Cristina Fernández
Cristina Fernández  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 06:22
Member (2008)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Aug 30, 2011

Someone from Russian Federation is visiting my profile regularly ( 13-17 visits/day in the last 6 months!). Maybe it´s normal, but I find it strange. Do you think it could be a scammer or someone who steals people´s identity?

Thanks!

Teymur Suleymanov
Teymur Suleymanov  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:22
Russian to English
+ ...
Perhaps it might be a malware or something... Aug 31, 2011

These may be different people or even different companies from the Russian Federation, the country is huge and I am sure there are plenty of companies possibly interested in your services...
Unless you know for certain that this is exactly the same person...
Or, can it be a malware, kind of like the one infecting someone's address book and then traveling to others via addresses?

Cheers,
Teymur

Ambrose Li
Ambrose Li  Identity Verified
Canada
English
+ ...
Probably nothing to be concerned about Aug 31, 2011

I don’t think there’s any need for concern. These days, with the prevalence of dynamic IP, you really can’t say it’s the same person even if the IP address is the same. Even if it really is the same person, there still are a number of quite legitimate reasons why someone might visit your profile twice a month (which really is not very often).

One other thing, though, is that it could be a search engine. Although ProZ is supposed to show spider (search engine) visits on a dif
... See more
I don’t think there’s any need for concern. These days, with the prevalence of dynamic IP, you really can’t say it’s the same person even if the IP address is the same. Even if it really is the same person, there still are a number of quite legitimate reasons why someone might visit your profile twice a month (which really is not very often).

One other thing, though, is that it could be a search engine. Although ProZ is supposed to show spider (search engine) visits on a different page, in reality they fail to recognize some spiders. They don’t even recognize Bing (I get visits from Microsoft—I’m sure no one in Microsoft is interested in my profile), so I would definitely think a visit from a Russian search engine would not be properly categorized as such.

[Edited at 2011-08-31 03:28 GMT]
Collapse

Klementina Shahini
Klementina Shahini
United States
Member (2009)
English to Albanian
+ ...
For the last two years... Aug 31, 2011

I have been experiencing the same thing probably for the last two years. There have been days that this visitor visited my profile 35 times a day, still do. I always thought that it is somebody from the proZ. After I raised this question to staff and did not hear anything specific I learn to ignore the fact thinking that somebody has extra time to waste.

Hoping to get an answer soon,

Klemi

#JuliaC#
#JuliaC#  Identity Verified
German to Italian
+ ...
The same here.. Aug 31, 2011

In the last two months someone from Russian federation has visited my profile quite often, almost one visit every day. And he/she does not seem to be particularly interested in my services because he/she always visits only my profile (no CV, no Kudoz answered).

Should I adress the question to the staff, according to you?

Thanks,

Giulia

isabelmurill (X)
isabelmurill (X)
English to Spanish
+ ...
The same, but also he/she/it has also visited my Kudoz answered Aug 31, 2011

The same in my case, 32 visits in the last 2 months... but this someone from Russian Federation has also visited, in addition to my profile, my Kudoz answered).

Should we adress the question to the staff?

Thanks,

Isabel

Evans (X)
Evans (X)
Local time: 05:22
Spanish to English
+ ...
Me too Aug 31, 2011

I have experienced the same thing. 43 visits in a month! Was wondering what is going on.

Veronica Coquard
Veronica Coquard
France
French to English
+ ...
Me, too! Aug 31, 2011

21 visits this morning! Hmmm....

Sonia Hill
Sonia Hill
United Kingdom
Italian to English
Me too Aug 31, 2011

I've noticed this a lot over the last year. Someone in the Russian Federation visits my profile regularly, sometimes up to 27 times a day, but I've never had any contact from Russia.
My husband thought I had a secret admirer

S E (X)
S E (X)
Italy
Italian to English
Me, too Aug 31, 2011

...27 visits since August 27th and counting.

I figured it was some kind of automated website content indexer, like Google or Microsoft.

Katalin Szilárd
Katalin Szilárd  Identity Verified
Hungary
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Probably it was Yandex .. Aug 31, 2011

If it was Yandex no need to worry. Yandex is a search engine (same as if you had visitors directly from Google - searchbots).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yandex
They use many different ip addresses. For example 95.108.128.242 (Yandex) "visited" my profile 39 times on the 27th of August.

Jennifer Forbes
Jennifer Forbes  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
In memoriam
My secret admirer ... Aug 31, 2011

Yes, Yandex is my secret admirer too. How hurtful to discover that he's been visiting all you other girls too! Oh, those Russians ... to quote Boney M.
Jenny

Veronica Coquard
Veronica Coquard
France
French to English
+ ...
LOL! Aug 31, 2011

Jenny Forbes wrote:

Yes, Yandex is my secret admirer too. How hurtful to discover that he's been visiting all you other girls too! Oh, those Russians ... to quote Boney M.
Jenny

Ra-, Ra-, Rasputin, right!

Lucia Leszinsky
Lucia Leszinsky
SITE STAFF
Confirmed: visits are coming from yandex.ru Aug 31, 2011

Hello all,

I checked the visits to the profiles of those of you who reported repeated visits from the Russian Federation and I can confirm that those visits are coming primarily from a search engine crawler, which is what goes out and 'spiders' the Internet for pages to be searchable.

The visitor you had those multiple visits from is actually yandex.ru (Yandex LLC.), an Internet portal in Russia with multiple IP addresses. So basically, no need for alarm, a machine is
... See more
Hello all,

I checked the visits to the profiles of those of you who reported repeated visits from the Russian Federation and I can confirm that those visits are coming primarily from a search engine crawler, which is what goes out and 'spiders' the Internet for pages to be searchable.

The visitor you had those multiple visits from is actually yandex.ru (Yandex LLC.), an Internet portal in Russia with multiple IP addresses. So basically, no need for alarm, a machine is visiting your profile numerous times, not a human.

Yandex has been added to the ProZ.com's list of web Bots, crawlers and spiders, but, given their numerous IP addresses, it is possible that some of its visits are still being recorded in your "Visitors" tab.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Lucia
Collapse

Ambrose Li
Ambrose Li  Identity Verified
Canada
English
+ ...
Please add Bing too Aug 31, 2011

Lucia Leszinsky wrote:

Yandex has been added to the ProZ.com's list of web Bots, crawlers and spiders, but, given their numerous IP addresses, it is possible that some of its visits are still being recorded in your "Visitors" tab.

As per my comment above, ProZ is also not recognizing Microsoft Bing.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

ProZ.com visitors tab shows numerous visits from the Russian Federation

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »