Mihaela C N Plamadeala
Mihaela C N Plamadeala  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:47
English to Romanian
+ ...
Dec 6, 2022

Hi all,

I have been a non-member of ProZ for quite some time, and whilst I find some parts useful I have found it very inefficient if you cannot afford to pay the membership. What I mean by that is that non-members are not allowed to see jobs they bid for, who won the job, and when that job was awarded. Furthermore, jobs are not closed so they keep showing up and you can't remember if you bid for it or not unless you make a note of it somewhere else! It's quite irritating to not ha
... See more
Hi all,

I have been a non-member of ProZ for quite some time, and whilst I find some parts useful I have found it very inefficient if you cannot afford to pay the membership. What I mean by that is that non-members are not allowed to see jobs they bid for, who won the job, and when that job was awarded. Furthermore, jobs are not closed so they keep showing up and you can't remember if you bid for it or not unless you make a note of it somewhere else! It's quite irritating to not have an overall summary of what you've done, and it feels unfair to be only available for those who pay! ProZ team, maybe you could look at this issue again. Is there anyone else out there who agrees with me?
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 10:47
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Mihaela Dec 6, 2022

Mihaela C N Plamadeala wrote:
Non-members are not allowed to see jobs they bid for, who won the job, and when that job was awarded.

Paying members can't see this information either (well, except that some jobs are reserved for paying members and some jobs only become available to non-paying members after a few hours). We can't see who won the job or when/whether a job was awarded.

Furthermore, jobs are not closed so they keep showing up and you can't remember if you bid for it or not unless you make a note of it somewhere else! It's quite irritating to not have an overall summary of what you've done, and it feels unfair to be only available for those who pay!

Don't you have access to this page?
https://www.proz.com/translation-jobs/quotes/

Lingua 5B

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Don't worry about it Dec 6, 2022

Hi all,

I have been a non-member of ProZ for quite some time, and whilst I find some parts useful I have found it very inefficient if you cannot afford to pay the membership. What I mean by that is that non-members are not allowed to see jobs they bid for, who won the job, and when that job was awarded. Furthermore, jobs are not closed so they keep showing up and you can't remember if you bid for it or not unless you make a note of it somewhere else! It's quite irritating to not have an overall summary of what you've done, and it feels unfair to be only available for those who pay! ProZ team, maybe you could look at this issue again. Is there anyone else out there who agrees with me?

I have been a paying member for many, many years. None of my bids has ever been successful. Bidding for jobs should be the last reason why you would want to become a paying member of Proz! In my experience, the best way of getting Proz to work for you is to make sure you have an excellent profile that is periodically updated; this requires paid membership.

[Edited at 2022-12-06 15:05 GMT]

Platary (X)
Tina Vonhof (X)
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Michael Newton
Jorge Payan

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
@Mihaela Dec 6, 2022

I have been a paying member since 2007, so I don’t know if what I’m about to say applies to you: to follow my quotes, I just go to Jobs & Directories, then to More and My Quotes. There I find a summary of the quotes I submitted. Some of my bids have been successful, though much less than I would like to...

Sadek_A
Sadek_A  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:47
English to Arabic
+ ...
?! Dec 7, 2022

to see jobs

What jobs?

We went from "quote your most competitive rate" straight into "it's a great pro bono OPPORTUNITY"!

Mihaela C N Plamadeala
Mihaela C N Plamadeala  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Romanian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Dec 11, 2022

Thank you all for responding. I think the site needs a revamp to make it work for all - members or non-members.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Mihaela Dec 11, 2022

I think the site needs a revamp to make it work for all - members or non-members.

Paying members get access to additional features that non-paying members don't have access to. Can you, as a non-paying member, see your quotes on the page that Maria and I mentioned?

Matthias Brombach
Matthias Brombach  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Why? Dec 11, 2022

Thank you all for responding. I think the site needs a revamp to make it work for all - members or non-members.

Why should I pay for a private job board when others, who don't pay for it, possibly gain jobs they compete with me? Aren't there other (and free) possibilities besides proz? What about relevant translators associations, who list their members for end clients: Would their members allow non-members access to the list members pay for by their fees? If so, then I want to be listed there too, thanks. BDÜ, please go ahead.

Christel Zipfel
Jorge Payan
IrinaN

IrinaN
IrinaN
United States
Local time: 03:47
English to Russian
+ ...
Why? Dec 11, 2022

Except for the SSI (Supplemental Security income) offices, and The Salvation Army, I don't know many places where you can get the same goods and services as the paying patrons (aka taxpayers) get, for free.

Christel Zipfel

jyuan_us
jyuan_us  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:47
Member (2005)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Then, Dec 12, 2022

Why would people want to pay to become members?

Denis Fesik
Denis Fesik
Local time: 11:47
English to Russian
+ ...
Toad Dec 12, 2022

We have a saying that whenever you want to buy something you can afford but can't make up your mind to go ahead and spend the money, it's because a toad is strangling you. My paid ProZ membership is indeed a toad case. I spoke to a person who said paid membership was worth it in the past and that he'd found quite a few permanent customers here, but this forum is making me feel it's not the right time for me to quit my permanent job to go full freelance with ProZ. As you grow older, you begin to... See more
We have a saying that whenever you want to buy something you can afford but can't make up your mind to go ahead and spend the money, it's because a toad is strangling you. My paid ProZ membership is indeed a toad case. I spoke to a person who said paid membership was worth it in the past and that he'd found quite a few permanent customers here, but this forum is making me feel it's not the right time for me to quit my permanent job to go full freelance with ProZ. As you grow older, you begin to realize the toad is your friend

[Edited at 2022-12-12 03:50 GMT]
Collapse

Sadek_A
Sadek_A  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:47
English to Arabic
+ ...
... Dec 12, 2022

I think the site needs a revamp

I believe that would be:

1. Reducing number of suppliers, by limiting enrollment to people with completed, documented language degrees!

2. Site charging a cut from a project well-secured and -paid by the site, instead of collecting a subscription and telling the supplier to chase their own projects themselves!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

tracking bids by non-members

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »