Complaint about ProZ.com support
Thread poster: Philip Lees
Philip Lees
Philip Lees  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 14:42
Greek to English
Oct 11, 2023

The original subject for this thread was going to be "ProZ support – RIP".

In it, I was going to pass on the sad news that ProZ support has ... passed on, citing my own recent experience as evidence.

However, halfway through drafting that report, I had a sudden epiphany, and that is what I would like to share now.

First, let me stress that, as one who always tries to respect the rules, nothing I will say should be taken to refer to any member of the ProZ
... See more
The original subject for this thread was going to be "ProZ support – RIP".

In it, I was going to pass on the sad news that ProZ support has ... passed on, citing my own recent experience as evidence.

However, halfway through drafting that report, I had a sudden epiphany, and that is what I would like to share now.

First, let me stress that, as one who always tries to respect the rules, nothing I will say should be taken to refer to any member of the ProZ staff, nor to any administrative action they may have (or have not) taken.

No, I shall be talking exclusively about the software that manages the ProZ.com support system, as represented by the email account [email protected] and the support page on the website: https://www2.proz.com/support

First, one thing you may not know about this "automated" system is that emails sent to the [email protected] address are not automatically logged as support requests, even if you receive a reply. So you can submit any number of support requests using this method without any of them showing up on the "My support requests" page of your ProZ account.

https://www2.proz.com/support/my_requests

Thus, my page shows I made no support requests between December 2020 and last month, whereas in fact I submitted six support requests by email during that period.

It was when I started going through those six support requests that I had my epiphany. Most of them (four of the six) were not "requests" at all. In most of them I was informing ProZ about a bug in the website, their communications, or other undesirable behaviour by the ProZ software.

So then it suddenly became clear! The "support" in "ProZ.com support center" doesn't refer to support provided by the ProZ organisation to its members, but to the reverse.

In other words, it's a means for ProZ members to provide support to the ProZ organisation. This explains everything!

So when considering submitting a "support request" to ProZ it's important, first, to decide whether you want it to be registered as "official" (if so, be sure to use the website, not email) and second, to make sure that your submission will really be of help to the ProZ organisation, and is not just some whingeing complaint, undeserving of any action or response.

Just for the record, my last support request, which was submitted on September 22 and unfortunately falls into the latter category, is, unsurprisingly in view of the above, still pending.

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2023-10-17 19:17 GMT]
Collapse

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
expressisverbis
Christopher Schröder
P.L.F. Persio
Myriam Moreno Hijazo

Philip Lees
Philip Lees  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 14:42
Greek to English
TOPIC STARTER
Update Oct 16, 2023

I finally received a response to my latest support request on October 12. Unfortunately, it did not address my specific complaint, although it dealt with some associated issues.

So I have asked for further clarification.

expressisverbis
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Local time: 07:42
SITE FOUNDER
Stats, and response Oct 17, 2023

For the record, ProZ.com support is far from dead. In the past 7 days, our five full-time support people have responded to 350 tickets, closing a little over 40% in 8 hours or less (no matter what time they come in), and about 90% within two days.

I am proud that we have a caring group of people who not only answer tickets and vet postings, but who also take an interest in the people behind each ticket, attempting to assist in other ways. Whether that be with personal suggestions, b
... See more
For the record, ProZ.com support is far from dead. In the past 7 days, our five full-time support people have responded to 350 tickets, closing a little over 40% in 8 hours or less (no matter what time they come in), and about 90% within two days.

I am proud that we have a caring group of people who not only answer tickets and vet postings, but who also take an interest in the people behind each ticket, attempting to assist in other ways. Whether that be with personal suggestions, by updating site documentation, proposing site improvements to our development team, or by other means. They work very hard, and they care!

As for your specific issue, Philip, let me say that I appreciate your long-term membership in the site... but I am afraid you are not going to find me helpful on this topic.

If I have understood your ticket, it is a "formal complaint" against staff member Lucia, based on the fact that she chose to use the inclusive format in the forums. Since you didn't like her reply, or Yana's after it, I don't expect you to like mine. Basically, I concur; this sort of decision is within Lucia's prerogative. I hope you understand.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Complaint about ProZ.com support

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »