Wolfgang Schoene
Wolfgang Schoene  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 13:14
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
Apr 7

As per subject, now Wordfast Pro v9 does not start anymore. Anyone else?

Rabee Saeed
James Muir

Philippe Locquet
Philippe Locquet  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 12:14
English to French
+ ...
Known Issue Apr 7

Wolfgang Schoene wrote:

This has been happening to some users due to Mac OS issues with Java. Please contact the hotline so you get the best solution for your specific situation.
For general info, the topic has been discussed on the Wordfast Users Facebook Group.

My bests,

Rabee Saeed

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Gate? Apr 8

420291050_2942096029281122_9119955777851265586_n

Wolfgang Schoene
France
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Philippe Apr 8

Philippe Locquet wrote:

Wolfgang Schoene wrote:

This has been happening to some users due to Mac OS issues with Java. Please contact the hotline so you get the best solution for your specific situation.
For general info, the topic has been discussed on the Wordfast Users Facebook Group.

My bests,

As the update solved the problem I had with my DAWs (recording apps) I thought all problems concerning Java had been solved. I was wrong. And I'm not on FB.

Philippe Locquet
James Muir

Wolfgang Schoene
France
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Hans Apr 8

Hans Lenting wrote:

Problem (more or less) solved, I have a backup with Mac OS 14.3.1 where WFP works fine.
Waiting for a patch for 14.4.1.

Philippe Locquet

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Request Apr 9

Wolfgang Schoene wrote:

Hans Lenting wrote:

Problem (more or less) solved, I have a backup with Mac OS 14.3.1 where WFP works fine.
Waiting for a patch for 14.4.1.

Can you please contact me privately? Thank you in advance!

James Muir
James Muir  Identity Verified
Taiwan
Local time: 19:14
Chinese to English
Massive headache Apr 10

This affected both my Macs at the same time and you cannot rewind the update.

The hotline did not answer the email I sent.

The updated Apple patch did nada (so had to format the drives and install Ventura from a USB after disabling the T2 chip.)

I do not use FB.

Wolfgang Schoene

Wolfgang Schoene
France
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Wordfast Pro still not working on Mac Apr 11

And renewal time is approaching ...
Can people from Wordfast keep us updated, please?

Philippe Locquet
Philippe Locquet  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 12:14
English to French
+ ...
Intel chips Apr 15

Wolfgang Schoene wrote:
Can people from Wordfast keep us updated, please?

We have seen this situation impact users and it seems now to be narrowed to only a specific situation. You can monitor information on this page: https://www.wordfast.com/support_release_notes#wfp9
If you are on MacOS Sonoma V14.4 and higher and you Mac has an Apple Silicon chip (M1, M2 etc.) Wordfast Pro 9 should run fine.

However, for Mac users whose computer uses an Intel CPU: Wordfast Pro 9 will not start on macOS Sonoma version 14.4 and higher, until further notice. This is due to Apple apparently ending support for some Java components on Intel CPUs. There is nothing we can do until Apple addresses the situation. Just as you, we feel sorry and let down.

We mass-mailed 13,000 users who opted in to stay informed in March. We also have a note in our product page. If you are hit with the problem, please roll back the upgrade if you can (if you use Time Machine etc.).

If you can’t then maybe one of these alternatives is for you:
If you have kept copies of your TM and glossary (exported as tmx etc.) which is a good safety practice, you can try to use an earlier version of Wordfast Pro from this page https://www.wordfast.com/legacydownload like Pro V6.1.
You can also work with Wordfast Anywhere instead (which comes free with your license, simply sign in), Wf Pro 3, a Mac with an M chip, etc.

As a Wordfast paying customer, feel free to contact the hotline where you will get personalized help which will mean extra help for those who need more than just reading forums and solving issues on their own.
We hope Apple will find a way to patch this Java issue and hope that the time in between will go as smooth as possible with the options available so you can keep working.
My bests to all

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Recompile? Apr 16

Philippe Locquet wrote:

There is nothing we can do until Apple addresses the situation. Just as you, we feel sorry and let down.

You say that it's an Apple issue? Could it be more likely that it is a problem with the suite that is being used to compile WFP? See here: https://v.gd/OIHItN

I can confirm that both CafeTran Espresso and Proz's Pastey both run fine on macOS 14.4.1 on Intel:

Screenshot 2024-04-16 at 08.45.35

[Edited at 2024-04-16 06:46 GMT]

Wolfgang Schoene
France
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I agree with Hans Apr 16

Hans Lenting wrote:

Philippe Locquet wrote:

There is nothing we can do until Apple addresses the situation. Just as you, we feel sorry and let down.

You say that it's an Apple issue? Could it be more likely that it is a problem with the suite that is being used to compile WFP? See here: https://v.gd/OIHItN

I can confirm that both CafeTran Espresso and Proz's Pastey both run fine on macOS 14.4.1 on Intel:

Screenshot 2024-04-16 at 08.45.35

[Edited at 2024-04-16 06:46 GMT]

How come other Java based tools have apparently solved the problem and Wordfast has not?
Is Apple really the culprit?

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Suite Apr 16

Wolfgang Schoene wrote:

How come other Java based tools have apparently solved the problem and Wordfast has not?
Is Apple really the culprit?

They were compiled with another programming suite. WFP could decide to invest in recompiling their software with this other suite.

I'm not sure if e.g. Minecraft (another Java app) still works om macOS 14.4.1.

I don't want to install this Microsoft game on my working computer ...

EDIT: https://www.reddit.com/r/macgaming/comments/1bycu16/minecraft_launcher_crashing_macos_sonoma_1441/?rdt=54047

[Edited at 2024-04-16 08:26 GMT]

Wolfgang Schoene
France
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In the meantime Apr 16

Wolfgang Schoene wrote:

Here is what I did:
Being a backup freak I have at least two SSD backups of older Sonoma versions, that is, 14.0 and 14.3.1.
In order to be on the safe side I first copied the SSD with the 14.3.1 version on the SSD of my Macbook using SuperDuper.
This works perfectly so I now can use Wordfast 9 at least on my Macbook.
One of these days I will probably do the same on my iMac so as to be able to use Wordfast on this machine, too.

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Prevent automatic update Apr 16

Not sure whether you can disable automatic updates of macOS.

Although: https://support.examsoft.com/hc/en-us/articles/11145629796877-How-to-Disable-Automatic-Operating-System-Updates

If my memory is correct, Apple still has the ability to push out critical updates.

[Edited at 2024-04-16 10:56
... See more

Although: https://support.examsoft.com/hc/en-us/articles/11145629796877-How-to-Disable-Automatic-Operating-System-Updates

If my memory is correct, Apple still has the ability to push out critical updates.

[Edited at 2024-04-16 10:56 GMT]
Collapse

Wolfgang Schoene
France
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Done Apr 16

Hans Lenting wrote:

[Edited at 2024-04-16 10:56 GMT]

I already disabled automatic updates time ago.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Updated to Mac OS 14.4.1

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »