Does it make sense to learn German to live in the U.S.?
Thread poster: yuksel824gma
yuksel824gma
yuksel824gma
United States
Feb 15

Does it make sense to learn German to live in the U.S.? Even though AI has advanced a lot, is there still a need for translators for this language? Are there job opportunities for freelancers or as full-time employee? I am already at level B1.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 01:23
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Yuksel Feb 15

yuksel824gma wrote:

Do you mean that you want to learn German so that you can emigrate to the United States? Or do you mean that you already live in the United States, and you're wondering if there is any work for a German/Turkish or Turkish/German translator (in the United States or elsewhere)?

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Robert Rietvelt

yuksel824gma
yuksel824gma
United States
TOPIC STARTER
.. Feb 15

Samuel Murray wrote:

yuksel824gma wrote:

Do you mean that you want to learn German so that you can emigrate to the United States? Or do you mean that you already live in the United States, and you're wondering if there is any work for a German/Turkish or Turkish/German translator (in the United States or elsewhere)?

I am currently in United States, CA. I used to work as a translator in TR-ENG language pair in Turkey. However, I think that Turkish-English language pair is not useful here. I want to translate from German and English as a language pair. However, I am undecided because many people in Proz already say that jobs are dying out due to artificial intelligence.

jyuan_us
jyuan_us  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:23
Member (2005)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Native German or English speakers will do much better Feb 15

The native German or English speakers will do much better in the English-to-German or German-to-English pairs.

It won't sound right to many potential clients to use someone who is not native in either of the source or target languages in their working language pair. Cannot imagine why a decision maker of a client would use a translator who translates from his third language to his second language.

[Edited at 2024-02-16 01:22 GMT]

Christopher Schröder
Christel Zipfel
Liviu-Lee Roth
Zea_Mays
Rachel Waddington
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Claire Bourneton-Gerlach

Liviu-Lee Roth
Liviu-Lee Roth
United States
Local time: 19:23
Romanian to English
+ ...
Yuksel Feb 15

yuksel824gma wrote:

Samuel Murray wrote:

yuksel824gma wrote:

I am currently in United States, CA. I used to work as a translator in TR-ENG language pair in Turkey. However, I think that Turkish-English language pair is not useful here. I want to translate from German and English as a language pair. However, I am undecided because many people in Proz already say that jobs are dying out due to artificial intelligence.

Depending on your immigration status, there is work for EN-TR, for the US gvt. and if you are familiar with legal proceedings, you can become a court interpreter.

If you need more details, send me a private message.

Lee

Michele Fauble
Arabic & More

Michele Fauble
Michele Fauble  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:23
Member (2006)
Norwegian to English
+ ...
Feb 15

[Edited at 2024-02-15 18:41 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »