Off topic: "Moving forward"
Inițiatorul discuției: XXXphxxx (X)
Matthew Olson
Matthew Olson
Japonia
Local time: 23:22
din japoneză în engleză
I hate those phrases Mar 19, 2012

I hate going forward/moving forward. It's often found in Japanese > English translations, too, because Japanese businesses often like to ambiguously mention how they'll be continuing to polish their skills or work harder or improve whatever in the future. Now that I think about it, though, I suppose in that sense 'going forward' or 'moving forward' is a pretty good translation since it captures the same air of banality as found in the original (end sarcasm).

Just Opera
Just Opera
Belgia
Local time: 16:22
din franceză în engleză
+ ...
'low-hanging fruit' way more annoying IMO Mar 19, 2012

'Moving forward' seems to be an anglo thing, never hear it much in the circles I work in (i.e. Franco-Nordic), and I do get exposed to a lot of radioactive corporate spraak (yes people do speak that way).

However THAT monstrosity 'low-hanging fruit' often creeps into marketing plans and when I see it blotting the page then I drop the document out of an open window or flush it down the nearest toilet.

BLEUGH!

XXXphxxx (X)
XXXphxxx (X)  Identity Verified
Regatul Unit
Local time: 15:22
din portugheză în engleză
+ ...
INIŢIATORUL SUBIECTULUI
'Heads-up' Mar 20, 2012

Come to think of it, it's possibly worse than 'moving forward'. Can't say I've ever heard 'low-hanging fruit' - thank God.

[Edited at 2012-03-20 14:32 GMT]

Ty Kendall
Ty Kendall  Identity Verified
Regatul Unit
Local time: 15:22
din ebraică în engleză
Nor me Mar 20, 2012

I had to look it up to confirm the meaning (easily obtainable). That is a truly horrific phrase. You can guarantee I'll start hearing it everywhere now.

Phil Hand
Phil Hand  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 22:22
din chineză în engleză
It's truer than the cartoon can say Mar 20, 2012

The company I'm doing a lot of interpreting for has a number of ex-consultants. Sometimes their conversation degenerates into just strings of corporatespeak jargon. For example, when unable to reach agreement on an issue: "OK, sidelined. Moving forward, next steps?" This is verbatim. I try to interpret into the most consultanty-sounding Chinese I possibly can, because it's my duty

Edited for tone.

[Edited at 20
... See more
The company I'm doing a lot of interpreting for has a number of ex-consultants. Sometimes their conversation degenerates into just strings of corporatespeak jargon. For example, when unable to reach agreement on an issue: "OK, sidelined. Moving forward, next steps?" This is verbatim. I try to interpret into the most consultanty-sounding Chinese I possibly can, because it's my duty

Edited for tone.

[Edited at 2012-03-20 16:26 GMT]
Collapse

Număr de pagini:   < [1 2]

Pentru acest forum nu a fost numit niciun moderator.
Pentru a raporta încălcarea regulilor site-ului sau pentru a solicita asistență, vă rugăm să contactați personalul site-ului »

"Moving forward"

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »