Thread poster: Robert Rietvelt
Robert Rietvelt
Robert Rietvelt  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:39
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
Feb 21, 2022

When I try to open my website (www.espaned.com) on the internet, I get the message:

'Apache is functioning normally' or 'Not Found / The requested URL /pages/startpage1.php was not found on this server. / Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.'

This problem seems to occur at random, that is, some people/friends can
... See more
When I try to open my website (www.espaned.com) on the internet, I get the message:

'Apache is functioning normally' or 'Not Found / The requested URL /pages/startpage1.php was not found on this server. / Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.'

This problem seems to occur at random, that is, some people/friends can open it, some can't (me for example). So, it is running.

I tried it on several computers, tablets, smartphones and different IP-addresses.

Does anybody knows A) What is going on, and B) How to solve it?

[Edited at 2022-02-21 11:31 GMT]

[Edited at 2022-02-21 11:31 GMT]

[Edited at 2022-02-21 11:32 GMT]

[Edited at 2022-02-21 11:45 GMT]
Collapse

Jo Macdonald
Jo Macdonald  Identity Verified
Spain
Italian to English
+ ...
Bluehost? Feb 21, 2022

Hi Robert
If your site is on a Bluehost hosting plan they're updating php this week.

I opened http://www.espaned.com/ but got a "This site is unsecure" warning.

There are https plugins to fix that.

Sebastian Witte
Sebastian Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2004)
English to German
+ ...
. Feb 21, 2022

[Edited at 2022-02-22 07:50 GMT]

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 17:39
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
@Robert Feb 21, 2022

I had no problem accessing it. Was the problem solved in the meanwhile?

Thomas Pfann
Serhan Elmacıoğlu
Recep Kurt

Robert Rietvelt
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Maybe Feb 21, 2022

Teresa Borges wrote:

I had no problem accessing it. Was the problem solved in the meanwhile?

A friend of mine removed the ipv6 record of the DNS, so the DNS of my computer goes automatically to ipv4 (????, sorry, abracadabra for me).

I can open the site, but not on all links. He advised me to wait 24 hours, so the new setting is accepted by the World Wide Web.

That is what I am doing now.

PS) Site is/(was?) not working on Chrome, had no problems with other browsers.

Rolf Keller
Rolf Keller
Germany
English to German
SSL issue? I don't think so. Feb 21, 2022

SSL certificates "prove to the browser" that the browser is accessing the original server instead of a fake server.

If it really is a certificate issue, there are two possibilities:
(1) Your browser settings require the web server to present a certificate, but the web server malfunctions by sometimes not presenting one. If so, you should not get a "not found" error, though.
(2) Your browser settings do not require the web server to present a certificate. Obviously
... See more
SSL certificates "prove to the browser" that the browser is accessing the original server instead of a fake server.

If it really is a certificate issue, there are two possibilities:
(1) Your browser settings require the web server to present a certificate, but the web server malfunctions by sometimes not presenting one. If so, you should not get a "not found" error, though.
(2) Your browser settings do not require the web server to present a certificate. Obviously this possibility can be excluded.

So it should not actually be a certificate issue. Maybe your hoster uses multiple servers and it depends on your location and the current load if you get a connection.

Apart from that, Robert, you should definitely give your website a certificate. Otherwise, many potential site visitors will never see your website.
Collapse

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 17:39
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
@Robert Feb 21, 2022

I am able to open the site and all the links (in all languages). Should I send a message to you through the website (as a "fake" quotation) just to see if you will receive it?

Teresa

Robert Rietvelt
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@Teresa Feb 22, 2022

Teresa Borges wrote:

I am able to open the site and all the links (in all languages). Should I send a message to you through the website (as a "fake" quotation) just to see if you will receive it?

Teresa

Thank you, but that won't be necessary.

Kind regards,

Rob

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Can't open my website

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »