Eleni Makantani
Grecia
Local time: 14:50
inglés al griego
+ ...
Feb 3, 2009

Hello,

I am a Gmail user and today I noticed something which I consider strange:

I checked my account's recent activity and in the log that appeared on my screen, I saw that the most recent activity was indeed from my own IP address, but some 3.5 hours ago there was activity from a different IP. However, I only use one computer (= one IP address) for access to my account. Also, I do not use wireless internet, which could potentially grant access to someone in the neighb
... See more
Hello,

I am a Gmail user and today I noticed something which I consider strange:

I checked my account's recent activity and in the log that appeared on my screen, I saw that the most recent activity was indeed from my own IP address, but some 3.5 hours ago there was activity from a different IP. However, I only use one computer (= one IP address) for access to my account. Also, I do not use wireless internet, which could potentially grant access to someone in the neighbourhood. Only good old wired router

Does anyone have any idea about this? Should I be worried that someone else has access to my account from a different computer?

Thanks in advance!

[Edited at 2009-02-03 12:34 GMT]
Collapse

Vadim Pogulyaev
Vadim Pogulyaev  Identity Verified
Tailandia
Local time: 18:50
inglés al ruso
Advice Feb 3, 2009

Try whois service. (Can be easily found in google.) So you'll know ISP, and possibly location of potential threat.

nortranslate (X)
nortranslate (X)
Noruega
Local time: 13:50
inglés al noruego
+ ...
A similar thing happened to me Feb 3, 2009

Some time ago I also discovered some odd searches registered in the activity log. Nothing ugly or bad, bad still I could not recall having searched for those words.

Then I remembered that I used my sons laptop to check my e-mail a couple of days back.
He uses it on other networks as well (school etc).
When I logged on to his computer again I found that I was still logged on to my gmail account. And when I logged out the registration of "other" log items stopped.
... See more
Some time ago I also discovered some odd searches registered in the activity log. Nothing ugly or bad, bad still I could not recall having searched for those words.

Then I remembered that I used my sons laptop to check my e-mail a couple of days back.
He uses it on other networks as well (school etc).
When I logged on to his computer again I found that I was still logged on to my gmail account. And when I logged out the registration of "other" log items stopped.

I don't know if this could be an explanation, but we all should make sure to log out of our gmail account when we leave a computer.

------ just a thought -----
If you do not have a static IP, it may happen that your IP changes from time to time.
Many, including ADSL users, have a modem set up as PPoE (or PPPoE). This is a dial-up connection using ethernet as the transport. The connection may close from time to time due to inactivity. When you open you web browser etc it reconnects. For each time the modem dials up the ISP you may get a new IP-address.

[Edited at 2009-02-03 13:40 GMT]
Collapse

Jacques DP
Jacques DP  Identity Verified
Suiza
Local time: 13:50
inglés al francés
If in doubt, change your password Feb 4, 2009

If you have the least doubt, just change your gmail password. Whoever may have gained access to your gmail account in the past won't be able to log in anymore.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Gmail activity from different IP's?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »