Do you "Yahoo"? (Yahoo email has become quite "professional")
Autor vlákna: Williamson
Williamson
Williamson  Identity Verified
Velká Británie
Local time: 16:09
vlámština -> angličtina
+ ...
Aug 14, 2004

A "Yahoo" email address is/used to be considered as unprofessional.
However, with a storage capacity of 100 Mb and 10 MB message size (bigger than my ISP's message limit), Yahoo email has become quite "professional".
For obvious reasons, it is also more practical to have your messages and assignments stored on a web-based email than on a hard-disk.
When Gmail will be open for the public, a 1000 megabytes of free storage is indeed a very attractive alternative for the hard-d
... See more
A "Yahoo" email address is/used to be considered as unprofessional.
However, with a storage capacity of 100 Mb and 10 MB message size (bigger than my ISP's message limit), Yahoo email has become quite "professional".
For obvious reasons, it is also more practical to have your messages and assignments stored on a web-based email than on a hard-disk.
When Gmail will be open for the public, a 1000 megabytes of free storage is indeed a very attractive alternative for the hard-disk of a pc.
So, just how professional is an ISP-based email address taken into account that some texts are bigger than the amount of space your ISP gives you.

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2004-08-15 10:04]
Collapse

suesimons
suesimons  Identity Verified
portugalština -> angličtina
Yahoo - I do too! Aug 14, 2004

Yes, Williamson, I have had no problem with Yahoo. I have to use it as I live half the year in Guernsey, and half in Portugal, and then dont have to keep changing my address and informing all my agencies, contacts, etc. I used to swap addresses i.e. ISP when in Gsy, then change it when in Europe. A damn nuisance for everyone, if you don't mind my language. Sue.

Dave Greatrix
Dave Greatrix  Identity Verified
Velká Británie
nizozemština -> angličtina
+ ...
Nothing wrong with Yahoo mail, but............. Aug 15, 2004

if you want to cancel any of their other services it's a nightmare.

I used their web hosting service for a while.

Of late, I've been doing a bit of property development and consequently translating has taken a back seat. I've never made my feelings a secret as to the negative effect of the Internet on translation rates - anyway that's another story.

Try cancelling a Yahoo service.

I've sent countless e-mails. They either never reply, or they se
... See more

Of late, I've been doing a bit of property development and consequently translating has taken a back seat. I've never made my feelings a secret as to the negative effect of the Internet on translation rates - anyway that's another story.

I've sent countless e-mails. They either never reply, or they send a standard message telling me that I can only cancel by calling a telephone number in the USA. (which I object to out of principle)

I think this is a scandal. I get the impression that the cancellation procedure has been made deliberately complicated. Especially when you consider how easy it is to apply for a service at the outset.

That said, I have a couple of e-mail addresses, and unlike Hotmail, Yahoo.co.uk has never forwarded a single e-mail offering to sell me cheap inkjet cartridges, send me on holiday, or to enlarge any of my body parts.
Collapse

PRAKASH SHARMA
PRAKASH SHARMA  Identity Verified
Indie
Local time: 20:39
angličtina -> hindština
+ ...
The yahoo id's passwords are being mostly hacked. Aug 15, 2004

David Greatrix wrote:

I've sent countless e-mails. They either never reply, or they send a standard message telling me that I can only cancel by calling a telephone number in the USA. (which I object to out of principle)

I think this is a scandal. I get the impression that the cancellation procedure has been made deliberately complicated. Especially when you consider how easy it is to apply for a service at the outset.

That said, I have a couple of e-mail addresses, and unlike Hotmail, Yahoo.co.uk has never forwarded a single e-mail offering to sell me cheap inkjet cartridges, send me on holiday, or to enlarge any of my body parts.

Dear Friend,
Adding a bit more facts here about yahoo. I feel that being popular is as much harmful as being favourable. I mean to say that yahoo ids are most sensational perhaps and can be hacked easily or say, hackers' targets are yahoo ids the most (may be?). It has happened to me twice. Few years before, when I was depending upon one of my yahoo ids totally i.e. [email protected], I just couldn't think working without a yahoo id. But, some hackers hacked my p/w somehow and send me some strange messages. Later on, I can't say how did they manage to do these changes; they changed my secret question, and all those facts included in profile. I became just helpless without yahoo id.
But later on, I left dependency on yahoo. I created ids in other servers and started using them simultaneously.Today, I'm working with more than 5 different ids in different servers.
[email protected]
is no more my id now. I've changed it totally and stopped the search of it's password.

Total Dependency is always harmful. Obviously, depending on yahoo email was my fault!

Nowadays, we have lots of efficient servers/email service providers. We can't grade yahoo the best one!

BTW, it's 57th Independence Day of India today i.e. August 15th, 2004, so three cheers to India and Indians!

WARM REGARDS 2 all prozians!
PRAKAASH
[email protected]

Vladimir Dubisskiy
Vladimir Dubisskiy
Spojené státy americké
Local time: 10:09
Člen (2001)
angličtina -> ruština
+ ...
agree with David Aug 15, 2004

[quote]David Greatrix wrote:

For the similar reason I do not like AOL.

EKM
EKM
Švédsko
Local time: 17:09
angličtina -> švédština
+ ...
Keyloggers and public places Aug 19, 2004

If you are working on a computer with inadequate protection (your own because you neglected buying firewall and anti-spyware programs or a public computer such as in an Internet café) - beware your passwords.

There are "keylogger" programs which may be installed on your computer or in a network without you knowing it, and these programs record all keystrokes you make, notice what info you paste into the clipboard and create a log file out of this for the cyberthief, who in turn ma
... See more
If you are working on a computer with inadequate protection (your own because you neglected buying firewall and anti-spyware programs or a public computer such as in an Internet café) - beware your passwords.

There are "keylogger" programs which may be installed on your computer or in a network without you knowing it, and these programs record all keystrokes you make, notice what info you paste into the clipboard and create a log file out of this for the cyberthief, who in turn may then just search for possible passwords, credit card numbers and any information which might be of value for him.

Make sure you use commercial and proven anti-virus software, get a GOOD firewall (ZoneAlarm is a good solution according to my experience. I do not trust XP's own, the reports of safety holes in Microsoft software are too many) and install the free programs 'Ad-Aware' and 'Spybot - Search & Destroy' on your computer. Update them, and your anti-virus software regularly to make sure you are aware of malware and security leaks inside of your computer.

Cheers,

M
Collapse

Ljiljana Krstic
Ljiljana Krstic  Identity Verified
Srbsko
Local time: 17:09
angličtina -> srbština
+ ...
my Yahoo mail address hacked Jan 31, 2009

my Yahoo mail: [email protected] has been hacked –Nigerian hackers are sending mail from that address in my name that I had been kidnapped, or, God forbid, that I have AIDS, etc. and am kept in Nigeria, without passport and money - asking money in my name -now I'm having a lot of problems to inform all the people I suppose were on the list and maybe received similar information what happened - and a lot of agencies were in my ... See more
my Yahoo mail: [email protected] has been hacked –Nigerian hackers are sending mail from that address in my name that I had been kidnapped, or, God forbid, that I have AIDS, etc. and am kept in Nigeria, without passport and money - asking money in my name -now I'm having a lot of problems to inform all the people I suppose were on the list and maybe received similar information what happened - and a lot of agencies were in my address box, as well as foreign partners and friends

so, ALWAYS HAVE A COUPLE OF ALTERNATIVE MAILS - and KEEP YOUR CONTACTS IN A SEPARATE FILE, on a different harddisk maybe - we are never too safe today, it seems to me
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Do you "Yahoo"? (Yahoo email has become quite "professional")

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »