How to remove unwanted line breaks in my profile?
Thread poster: awilliams
awilliams
awilliams
United Kingdom
Local time: 04:31
Italian to English
+ ...
Apr 8, 2005

I hope this is the right forum for this.

I have a query regarding HTML layout - are there any HTML wizards out there who can help?

I have created a series of tables for my profile - pretty much exhausting my powers of HTML in the process - but I can't seem to get them closer together on my profile page. They have huge spaces in between but I can't see why and I've trawled through my enormous web design man
... See more
I hope this is the right forum for this.

I have a query regarding HTML layout - are there any HTML wizards out there who can help?

I have created a series of tables for my profile - pretty much exhausting my powers of HTML in the process - but I can't seem to get them closer together on my profile page. They have huge spaces in between but I can't see why and I've trawled through my enormous web design manual but to no avail.

There are no paragraph or line breaks at those points in my code.

Does anyone know how I can bring the top box up to the top of the screen and put the others underneath that one?

Much appreciated!

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2005-04-08 18:43]
Collapse

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Local time: 23:31
SITE FOUNDER
Enter 0 values for cellpadding and cellspacing Apr 8, 2005

Hi Amy,

Please experiment with 'cellpadding' and 'cellspacing' parameters. Your table tag will look something like this:

<table cellpadding=0 cellspacing=0 border=0>

awilliams
awilliams
United Kingdom
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
have done but text just looks squashed Apr 8, 2005

Thanks Henry,
I have done (see the top box) but that's what happened.

[Edited at 2005-04-08 18:14]

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
SITE FOUNDER
OK, I see the problem Apr 8, 2005

I see the problem... I have written offline...

The problem is this: every line break entered in the profile "background" form gets converted into a "br" tag in the html. In order to prevent the large spaces, you can not enter line breaks (by hitting enter) after your "td" and "tr" tags.

This is not pure HTML, and we did it so that those without HTML experience could make reasonable profiles. Sorry for causing this confusion.

awilliams
awilliams
United Kingdom
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thanks! Apr 8, 2005

Thanks so much, Henry!

Sormane Gomes
Sormane Gomes
United States
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Thanks, Henry. Apr 9, 2005

I had the same problem. It's fixed now. Thank you, Henry, and you, Amy, for asking.

Sormane Gomes

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to remove unwanted line breaks in my profile?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »