Autor wątku: Luiza McGibb (X)
Luiza McGibb (X)
Luiza McGibb (X)  Identity Verified
Wielka Brytania
portugalski > angielski
+ ...
Mar 27, 2014

Dear colleagues,

I'm a Portuguese (Brazil) English translator and will be moving from South Africa to the UK in August. I want to further my work in consecutive interpreting and was wondering how much agencies are currently paying per hour for interpretations.

Also, if anyone has any tips on how to get inside this market, I'd appreciate your insight.

Thank you very much

Tamas Elek
Tamas Elek  Identity Verified
Węgry
Local time: 02:16
angielski > węgierski
+ ...
Rates Mar 27, 2014

Hi,

My experience is that if you do not have interpreting qualifications, the rates are around £12-£18/hour. If you have a qualification accepted in the UK, like DPSI or the Metropolitan Police Test, the rates are £15-£25/hour.

The easiest way to get into the market is to apply to different interpreting agencies. There are hundreds of them.

I hope it helps.

Tamas

[Edited at 2014-03-27 12:03 GMT]

mjbjosh
mjbjosh
Local time: 02:16
angielski > łotewski
+ ...
Sweet Geez! Apr 12, 2014

Tamas Elek wrote:

Hi,

My experience is that if you do not have interpreting qualifications, the rates are around £12-£18/hour. If you have a qualification accepted in the UK, like DPSI or the Metropolitan Police Test, the rates are £15-£25/hour.

The easiest way to get into the market is to apply to different interpreting agencies. There are hundreds of them.

I hope it helps.

Tamas

[Edited at 2014-03-27 12:03 GMT]

OMG, I would have never thought that interpreters get less than 40 euros net, more like 50 per hour. i would never ever work for 12 or even 18 pounds an hour, even it it was net.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Interpreters rates in the UK

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »