Problems with the Proz.com term search: searching through member glossaries and past KudoZ questions
Thread poster: conejo
conejo
conejo  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:04
Japanese to English
+ ...
Feb 10, 2006

日本語から・日本語へ翻訳する皆さんへ

Hello, all. KathyT and I have noticed that it doesn't seem like the Proz.com term search works for Japanese anymore, since it was changed/upgraded some time ago, because we always get "0" results, and later find KudoZ questions that were for the exact same term. I know it doesn't work for Japanese>English, but I am not sure if it works for other language pairs that include Japanese. I have submitted a support request for this i
... See more
日本語から・日本語へ翻訳する皆さんへ

Hello, all. KathyT and I have noticed that it doesn't seem like the Proz.com term search works for Japanese anymore, since it was changed/upgraded some time ago, because we always get "0" results, and later find KudoZ questions that were for the exact same term. I know it doesn't work for Japanese>English, but I am not sure if it works for other language pairs that include Japanese. I have submitted a support request for this item; maybe you can help me raise the visibility for this issue by submitting support requests as well, or e-mailing Henry, etc.
是非ご協力をお願いします!

My support request is below.
-----------------------------------
ProZ.com term search no longer works for Japanese>English Feb 10, 10:37 pm
SUPPORT TICKET 23964
I don't remember exactly when the ProZ term search (http://www.proz.com/search/) was upgraded (the interface changed), but ever since then, it basically doesn't work for Japanese>English. I am not sure if it works for English>Japanese or other language pairs that involve Japanese.

This is what happens: I search for a term in this term search, and I get 0 results, if 1) the whole words only box is checked, 2) match exact phrase is checked, or 3) both of these are checked. The only time I get any results at all is if I leave both of the boxes unchecked, but this is useless because I will get 900 or so results, any result that contains any of the Japanese characters at all in the word. (This is similar to searching for "dog" and getting all words that contain "d", "o", or "g", so it doesn't help in any way whatsoever.)

I know that this function does not work for the Japanese>English language pair, because at least twice, I have searched and gotten 0 results for this search, posted a question, and had someone else show me a link to a previous question that had the exact phrase in it I had looked for. At least one other member has reported this same problem ("KathyT").

One specific example can be seen if you go to this KudoZ question:
http://www.proz.com/kudoz/1251688?float=1
I was asking for 二丁掛, and there was a previous KudoZ question (http://www.proz.com/kudoz/1126857) with this exact same title in Japanese>English, but I got 0 results when I searched for it. Another member found the previous question by looking at the KudoZ questions in her profile (not using the ProZ.com search), because she had answered the previous question.

The same thing happened when I posted this question about ドングリボックス:
http://www.proz.com/kudoz/1187839?float=1
A previous question had been asked about the same term, at http://www.proz.com/kudoz/1182372. And an interesting thing to note is at that time, nobody could find the previous KudoZ question either, without looking at "more KudoZ questions", because they remembered it was a recent question. I think this problem has persisted for quite some time.

Please get this fixed soon... we are posting questions that have already been asked, because the search results say "0"... Please help make our work more efficient because many of us are Platinum members!

Thank you.
Collapse

KathyT
KathyT  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 01:04
Japanese to English
No joy with Kudoz Toolbar, either... Feb 20, 2006

...which I just downloaded in an attempt to see whether that was any better....
Silly, really - there's no logical reason why it would be any different. Still zero hits for everything.

Now I can't *uninstall* the damn thing! :'(

conejo
conejo  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:04
Japanese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Status Feb 20, 2006

I'm sorry to hear that, Kathy... have you tried to go to the Install/Uninstall under the control panel in the Start menu?

I got one reply from the ProZ staff about this, apparently someone was working on it, but I haven't heard anything else. Hopefully it will be fixed soon.

KathyT
Australia
Japanese to English
I just get an Error message, Feb 20, 2006

....which says "Administrative account rights are required to uninstall the Toolbar."

Maybe I just need more sleep...
Thanks, anyway!

KathyT
Australia
Japanese to English
Update: Japanese search improved but not yet 100% Mar 13, 2006

see: http://www.proz.com/post/316667#316667

Jason Grimes wrote:

The term search should be working properly now for languages other than Japanese and Chinese.

Searches in Japanese and Chinese should be more accurate than they were previously, but results will only be returned when they begin with the term being searched for (i.e. the search will not find your term in the middle of a word or sentence).

Please let me know if you continue to have problems with the term search.

Thanks,

Jason

I've only had a quick look, but it certainly does seem to be a lot better! The results really do seem to be relevant and helpful, from what I can see! Have a try and let me know what y'all think!

[Edited at 2006-03-13 19:47]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Takeshi MIYAHARA[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Problems with the Proz.com term search: searching through member glossaries and past KudoZ questions

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »