Thread poster: Tina Vonhof (X)
Tina Vonhof (X)
Tina Vonhof (X)
Canada
Local time: 14:26
Dutch to English
+ ...
Dec 25, 2021

I keep a file of memorable quotations from books I read. I was actually looking for another quotation when I came across this one from "Crescent" by Diana Abu-Jaber:

P. 31 – "You're not really fluent in a language until it's pretty much invisible to you," Han says. "When I translate, I deal with words as conscious things. You stare at the pages and you know what everything means, in both languages, and you wonder how on earth to make both languages – with all their history and
... See more
I keep a file of memorable quotations from books I read. I was actually looking for another quotation when I came across this one from "Crescent" by Diana Abu-Jaber:

P. 31 – "You're not really fluent in a language until it's pretty much invisible to you," Han says. "When I translate, I deal with words as conscious things. You stare at the pages and you know what everything means, in both languages, and you wonder how on earth to make both languages – with all their history and innuendos – mean the same thing."

"When you put it like that, it sounds sort of impossible."

He rubs his palm over his forehead a moment. "Trying to translate Hemingway into Arabic is like trying to translate a bird into a river. Not only do you have to translate the words, you also have to translate the feelings and ideas for all kinds of things from one culture to another – like what faith or courage is."

"Crescent" is a wonderful story about a group of middle-eastern immigrants in Los Angeles who gather at a cafe, where the 'first person' is chef, server, friend and confidante. There is a love story in it as well and the book has recipes in it, for those who are interested.
Collapse

AnnaSCHTR

Agneta Pallinder
Agneta Pallinder  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:26
Member (2014)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Thanks for the recommendation! Dec 26, 2021

Thanks Tina - the book sounds wonderful. Instantly ordered my copy from eBay. Really looking forward to reading it.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

About translating Hemingway into Arabic

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »