How to find quotations
Thread poster: Rivkah Ben-Yisrael
Rivkah Ben-Yisrael
Rivkah Ben-Yisrael
Israel
Local time: 17:01
Jul 30, 2023

Hi

I'm translating a book from Hebrew to English. Each chapter opens with a quotation related to that chapter. Most are taken from Hebrew books that have been translated into English.

Where can one find these books? The writer keeps saying that if we can't find them, we can just delete the quotes, but it seems a shame.

Is there any other way to access these books beyond buying the actual book? Is buying them via Kindle the way to go?

I'm just
... See more
Hi

I'm translating a book from Hebrew to English. Each chapter opens with a quotation related to that chapter. Most are taken from Hebrew books that have been translated into English.

Where can one find these books? The writer keeps saying that if we can't find them, we can just delete the quotes, but it seems a shame.

Is there any other way to access these books beyond buying the actual book? Is buying them via Kindle the way to go?

I'm just not very technologically-inclined with these things, so would love to hear if there are resources out there that I don't know about...

Thank you!
Collapse

ATIL KAYHAN
ATIL KAYHAN  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 17:01
Member (2007)
Turkish to English
+ ...
Quotations Jul 31, 2023

I like quotations a lot so I will try to answer your inquiry. There are at least a couple of ways to find quotations. I know Amazon has many books that have quotations only. Those books are named quotations or some variation of that word. The nice thing about these books is that quotations are categorized into various topics so you can easily find one under a specific category/topic. Another option can be to make a web search using quotations or quotes as keywords along with a specific keyw... See more
I like quotations a lot so I will try to answer your inquiry. There are at least a couple of ways to find quotations. I know Amazon has many books that have quotations only. Those books are named quotations or some variation of that word. The nice thing about these books is that quotations are categorized into various topics so you can easily find one under a specific category/topic. Another option can be to make a web search using quotations or quotes as keywords along with a specific keyword. I am sure there are a lot of websites that give quotations free of charge. There may not be as many as you can find in a book of quotations, of course, but it is still worth trying. Good luck!Collapse

Rita Translator
Rita Translator  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 16:01
German to English
Google books Aug 1, 2023

Google offers samples of many books. Just look for the title of the book there ( https://books.google.com/ ) and then search for one of the terms in the quote. If you're lucky, it will be in one of the sections available to view in the sample. I'm usually unlucky in that regard and the page(s) I need are the ones that are left out of the sample, but it's always worth a shot.

Otherwise you can Googl
... See more
Google offers samples of many books. Just look for the title of the book there ( https://books.google.com/ ) and then search for one of the terms in the quote. If you're lucky, it will be in one of the sections available to view in the sample. I'm usually unlucky in that regard and the page(s) I need are the ones that are left out of the sample, but it's always worth a shot.

Otherwise you can Google a few of the English terms together with the author and see if anyone else has quoted that passage. For example, if you were looking for the quote "A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new" by Albert Einstein, then from the Hebrew you might be able to guess at the phrase "made a mistake" or at least "mistake". You could then Google:
"mistake" Albert Einstein

Educated guesses at the translation of certain terms or phrases together with the author will often lead you to a translation of the quote you're looking for.
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 16:01
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Did you mean Aug 1, 2023

Rivkah Ben-Yisrael wrote:

Did you mean they were taken from English books that were translated into Hebrew?

If you did mean that they were taken from Hebrew books, why don't you just translate them yourself? The fact that another translator had already translated it into English shouldn't affect you. Only the most nerdy bibliophiles would have copies of those other translations and would mind if the translations aren't identical.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to find quotations

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »