Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >
Poll: Would you be willing to relocate to another country if you found a very attractive job offer?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Apr 8, 2013

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Would you be willing to relocate to another country if you found a very attractive job offer?".

View the poll results »

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 12:40
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Not now, Apr 8, 2013

but that is exactly why I did move to Belgium some odd 30 years ago!

EvaVer (X)
EvaVer (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:40
Czech to French
+ ...
Exactly, Apr 8, 2013

I would have 20 years ago, now that retirement is approaching...

Dr Sarai Pahla, MBChB
Dr Sarai Pahla, MBChB
Germany
Member (2012)
Japanese to English
+ ...
No deep roots Apr 8, 2013

I think it's easier to pick up and go if you're not as settled (I'm not settled here at all and planning my epic move), but then again, I'm sure most people would move if the price was right...

Julian Holmes
Julian Holmes  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 20:40
Member (2011)
Japanese to English
No thank you Apr 8, 2013

And miss some of the best food on the planet? Can't beat raw fish!

On a more sobering note, though, it might be a good idea if my North Korean neighbours go ahead with their nuke tests and start launching long-range missiles over my front garden.

Small edits

[Edited at 2013-04-08 09:27 GMT]

[Edited at 2013-04-08 14:18 GMT]

Maria Dimitrova
Maria Dimitrova  Identity Verified
Bulgaria
Local time: 14:40
Member (2011)
English to Bulgarian
+ ...
I would rather not Apr 8, 2013

Generally, I don't mind moving to another country, but there are too many ifs to doing it. I would do it, if my husband also gets a good job offer in the same country and if the country is an English speaking one. And even if those conditions are met, it has to be very, very attractive opportunity in a very attractive country to take this step.

Allison Wright (X)
Allison Wright (X)  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 12:40
No Apr 8, 2013

I am not sure I would have the energy required for another big move right now, having emigrated to Portugal less than five years ago. I am happy enough where I am, thank you!

David Wright
David Wright  Identity Verified
Austria
German to English
+ ...
Other Apr 8, 2013

I have an attractive job and I can take it wherever and whenever I want. It wouldn't be a job that would tempt me to move, but other factors might

Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:40
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
No way. Apr 8, 2013

I did that already by moving from Germany to the Pacific coast nearly two decades ago. There is a German saying: "Einen alten Baum soll man nicht umpflanzen", which roughly translates to "Never transplant an old tree". I have the ocean and the desert, mountains and wild horses and palm trees and bamboo and racoons in my backyard, I am in paradise and no ten horses will get me away from here. I wouldn't mind a private island with even more bamboo and palm trees for retirement, though. ... See more
I did that already by moving from Germany to the Pacific coast nearly two decades ago. There is a German saying: "Einen alten Baum soll man nicht umpflanzen", which roughly translates to "Never transplant an old tree". I have the ocean and the desert, mountains and wild horses and palm trees and bamboo and racoons in my backyard, I am in paradise and no ten horses will get me away from here. I wouldn't mind a private island with even more bamboo and palm trees for retirement, though. Collapse

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Yes, but... Apr 8, 2013

First I'd need to define "very attractive".

John Cutler
John Cutler  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
I would, but... Apr 8, 2013

I would if the offer were attractive enough.

Convincing the Mrs and our three lasses, who were born and raised here, to follow along might take some serious negotiating though.

Noni Gilbert Riley
Noni Gilbert Riley
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
It's the family, isn't it Apr 8, 2013

Otherwise I suspect that a lot of translators would be happier than the average population to relocate, just as long as there's the chance to learn a new language.

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
I would, but... Apr 8, 2013

Moving to America would only be possible if the European OSHA laws changed, allowing me to live outside Germany. Depending on whether their coverage has been extended to other EC countries (will have to check into this first), I might consider moving to Spain if the offer was really "irresistibly".

Giovanna Alessandra Meloni
Giovanna Alessandra Meloni  Identity Verified
Italy
Spanish to Italian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Other Apr 8, 2013

If I was alone, it should be exciting and easy to do
But I've a family, so my husband should have job opportunities there.

Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:40
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
Tell me about it... Apr 8, 2013

Giovanna Alessandra Meloni wrote:
so my husband should have job opportunities there.

If my husband would speak a single word of German, I would never have left my country. The very day I handed in my resignation at my ad agency, I was offered a CEO position by their largest competitor. Oh well... had to bite my teeth and I cried quite a bit.

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Would you be willing to relocate to another country if you found a very attractive job offer?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »