Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4] >
Poll: Do you 'vet' certain countries when applying for jobs?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Wilsonn Perez Reyes
Wilsonn Perez Reyes  Identity Verified
El Salvador
Local time: 22:04
Member (2007)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Argentina Dec 12, 2023

I prefer NOT to apply to agencies especially based in Argentina or in other Latin American countries.

In my opinion, they do not, cannot, or are not willing to pay adequate rates in the English-Spanish pair. This is very unfortunate, being a Latin American myself.

Argentina has everything to be a great country again, I suppose.

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 05:04
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Another bug? Dec 13, 2023

What happened to today’s Quick Poll? I did see a different one half an hour ago. It disappeared...

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Yes Dec 13, 2023

Christopher Schröder wrote:

I never accept jobs from Italy, for obvious reasons.

Yes, obviously. Italian is not one of your languages.

Baran Keki
Angie Garbarino
Wolfgang Schoene

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
That's because Dec 13, 2023

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida wrote:

What happened to today’s Quick Poll? I did see a different one half an hour ago. It disappeared...

That's because the poll question was "how long do you think this poll will still be available?"

Tony Keily

Matthias Brombach
Matthias Brombach  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 06:04
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
London Dec 13, 2023

I prefer London-based agencies: The nearer their postal addresses are located to Picadilly Circus or the Tower, the higher their quality has to be assumed, especially when accompanied by hundreds of positive five-point entries made by freelancers on proz on nearly the same day. The low price and generous payment conditions of more than 60 days after invoicing (if that early at all) don't concern me, because, hey! it's London calling!

Christopher Schröder
expressisverbis
Baran Keki
Lingua 5B

Michele Fauble
Michele Fauble  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 21:04
Member (2006)
Norwegian to English
+ ...
Not Italian Dec 13, 2023

Tom in London wrote:

Christopher Schröder wrote:

I never accept jobs from Italy, for obvious reasons.

Yes, obviously. Italian is not one of your languages.

The jobs I did for the two Italian agencies I worked for were Danish>English.

expressisverbis
Angie Garbarino

Robert Rietvelt
Robert Rietvelt  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
In principal.... Dec 13, 2023

.... I only vet agencies/clients that don't pay my price. Unfortunately, they are very often located in "countries that are paying poor rates". Ugh, I said enough.

expressisverbis

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
What does "vet" mean? Dec 14, 2023

Reading these posts made me realize something... apparently, the word "vet" now means "not use" or "avoid". In my day, "vet" meant to evaluate.

Christopher Schröder

Baran Keki
Baran Keki  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 07:04
English to Turkish
Vet Dec 14, 2023

Samuel Murray wrote:

Reading these posts made me realize something... apparently, the word "vet" now means "not use" or "avoid". In my day, "vet" meant to evaluate.

Here is a very insightful video about "vet", I hope this helps.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWDP_ew8HqQ

Angie Garbarino
expressisverbis

Angie Garbarino
Angie Garbarino  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
French to Italian
+ ...
According to reverso Dec 14, 2023

Samuel Murray wrote:

The verb vet means examine closely, carefully

https://context.reverso.net/traduzione/inglese-italiano/vet#esaminare%20attentamente

expressisverbis

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
And... Dec 14, 2023

Baran Keki wrote:

Here is a very insightful video about "vet", I hope this helps.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWDP_ew8HqQ

... Another video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jehKQOlcjg

"Vet" (short form for "veteran") meaning someone who previously served in the military, in the US.

Angie Garbarino
Baran Keki

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Vetting Dec 14, 2023

Samuel Murray wrote:

It still does mean that AFAIK. I suppose in the sense of screening it amounts to the same thing.

Another meaning: In Norway for some reason they like to talk about "language vetting", which means correcting their English.

expressisverbis

Tony Keily
Tony Keily
Italian to English
+ ...
I go on an agency basis Dec 15, 2023

I work for agencies in a number of countries and always go on my experience with the individual enterprises. If I'm not crazy about an agency, I try and keep my volumes with them low. I've sometimes broken off relations with agencies because I don't like the way they work, but these few cases would be evenly distributed between countries.

I've lived in Italy for two decades so most of my agencies are now located here. I've never not been paid by an Italian agency (although I've neve
... See more
I work for agencies in a number of countries and always go on my experience with the individual enterprises. If I'm not crazy about an agency, I try and keep my volumes with them low. I've sometimes broken off relations with agencies because I don't like the way they work, but these few cases would be evenly distributed between countries.

I've lived in Italy for two decades so most of my agencies are now located here. I've never not been paid by an Italian agency (although I've never not been paid in four decades of work, full stop) and many of them are brilliant work partners, although a few can be trying. Payment cycles in Italy can be long, but that doesn't bother me if they're regular. (The only agency I always have to chase up for payment is located in an English speaking country, but they're lovely people and always pay up when gently prodded.) In fact, the agencies most likely to tell me 'Hey, you haven't billed us!' are located here in Italy... plus a nice one in Scotland!

Increasingly, I find that the location of an agency doesn't determine the citizenship of those working there. I've dealt with French-run agencies in the UK, Serbian-run agencies in Italy, Spanish-run agencies in Ireland, Irish-run agencies in Luxembourg and so on.
Collapse

Wolfgang Schoene
Wolfgang Schoene  Identity Verified
France
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
Yes Dec 15, 2023

Those not paying in Euro currency.

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: Empty post.
Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you 'vet' certain countries when applying for jobs?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »