Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4] >
Poll: Do you earn more than 2000 EUR net/month as a linguist?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Local time: 13:09
Spanish to English
+ ...
Company vs Freelance Mar 26

Zea_Mays wrote:

Freelancers are individuals, so "net income" is gross income after taxes (and contributions):

"For households and individuals, net income refers to the (gross) income minus taxes and other deductions (e.g. mandatory pension contributions). "
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Net_income

If you are registered as a company or a similar entity from a tax perspective instead, "net income" is

net income (also total comprehensive income, net earnings, net profit, bottom line, sales profit, or credit sales) is an entity's income minus cost of goods sold, expenses, depreciation and amortization, interest, and taxes for an accounting period.

[Bearbeitet am 2024-03-26 11:54 GMT]

[Bearbeitet am 2024-03-26 11:55 GMT]

That's interesting, as it helps explain why some of the accountants in my clients' companies say "net" instead of gross when referring to my invoices. I always assumed they were simply incompetent.

Samuel Clarisse
Samuel Clarisse  Identity Verified
France
Member (2018)
English to French
+ ...
Misinformation Mar 26

Kay Denney wrote:

There are months when I earn more than double that, and others when I earn less, but it all evens out to a decent amount. I earned too much in 2022, bursting through the ceiling for my mini freelance status, so I have had to cut back a bit to avoid having to take the "real" freelance status where the state would take over half my earnings.

I noticed that you are misinformed regarding this matter. In France, as a freelance translator, you can maintain your status as an EI/microentreprise as long as your earnings do not exceed a threshold of €77,800. Even if you surpass this threshold in a fiscal year, you can still maintain your status, as long as it doesn't happen for two consecutive years. Therefore, I believe you still have a considerable margin.
(For more information, you can refer to this link: https://www.legalstart.fr/fiches-pratiques/autoentrepreneur/plafond-auto-entrepreneur/#:~:text=En%20ce%20qui%20concerne%20les,activités%20commerciales%20et%20de%20logement)

I think it"s important to clarify this misconception. While it might have been the case in the past, regulations have changed. (and just to clarify, they won't withhold half of your income, as you mentioned ^^)

Kay Denney

Wilsonn Perez Reyes
Wilsonn Perez Reyes  Identity Verified
El Salvador
Local time: 05:09
Member (2007)
English to Spanish
+ ...
A colleague here earned USD 100,000+ in 2017 Mar 26

The year 2017 was the first calendar year that I earned over $US 100,000 from translation, around $130,000+ if including other services. I think that this story is possible for anyone here on ProZ.com... See more
The year 2017 was the first calendar year that I earned over $US 100,000 from translation, around $130,000+ if including other services. I think that this story is possible for anyone here on ProZ.com, that's why I wanted to share.
https://www.proz.com/forum/getting_established/322225-reflections_on_2017_my_first_us_100000_year_from_translation.html

Is it true that Dylan J Hartmann's story is possible for anyone here on Proz?
Collapse

Justin Peterson

Baran Keki
Baran Keki  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 14:09
English to Turkish
Early bird Mar 26

Wilsonn Perez Reyes wrote:

As far as I know Dylan J Hartmann starts his day at 3 AM in the morning to serve his clients in Europe and elsewhere, so I suppose it's a case of 'early bird catching that worm'... Considering the dough he makes, it beats being a baker or a binman.

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Of course Mar 26

Wilsonn Perez Reyes wrote:

Break it down. $100k is $2k a week. 20,000 words at 10 cents. Very doable if you can be arsed.

Makes more sense to me to stop at half or two-thirds of that and have a life.

Daryo
Michael Harris

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Slipping through the net Mar 26

Lieven Malaise wrote:

Christopher Schröder wrote:
To make life easier, let’s assume it’s net of expenses, not net of tax.

If we talk about net income in Belgium, we mean income net of everything, so the "spendable" income.

We do too, but I hoped we could all answer the same question and also take varying tax rates out of the equation. Never mind.

Sebastian Witte
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida

Lieven Malaise
Lieven Malaise
Belgium
Member (2020)
French to Dutch
+ ...
. Mar 26

We do too, but I hoped we could all answer the same question and also take varying tax rates out of the equation. Never mind.

You are right. The spendable income is a good way to compare income between translators from the same country, but it's less suitable on an international level since taxes and the cost of living can vary widely.

[Bijgewerkt op 2024-03-26 21:06 GMT]

Christopher Schröder
Sebastian Witte
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Gibril Koroma
Zea_Mays

Baran Keki
Türkiye
English to Turkish
Forget about the taxes Mar 27

If the results of this poll are to be believed, more than half of the voters earn less than 2k a month. That's very interesting. I wonder where they (that is those who are not students, 'housewives' or pensioners, but are full-time stay-at-home translators) live and why they keep at this apparently thankless profession. Is 'playing with words' really worth it?

Christopher Schröder
Angie Garbarino
Dan Lucas
Rachel Waddington
Justin Peterson
Claire Titchmarsh

Angie Garbarino
Angie Garbarino  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
French to Italian
+ ...
100k in $ Mar 27

Matthias Brombach wrote:

...he translated from Thai into English and I assume 100K means 100K in THB, which is not bad at all when living in LB land...

https://www.proz.com/forum/money_matters/349297-i_finally_did_it_i_broke_100k.html

Dan Lucas
Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:09
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
Seems to be doing okay Mar 27

Well, I have never met Dylan or chatted to him, but on the surface he seems to be enjoying life in sunny Brisbane. He translates, he has started this quasi-agency/portal thing, and his wife seems to have her own business going on as well. Some people just have a deeper interest in commerce than others. I kind of like running a business, myself.

About seven months ago he posted on LinkedIn a morning photo of himself with his wife before they went off to their respective jobs (I was going to link to it here but on second thoughts I'm not sure what the privacy implications are). They look like a nice couple and I admire their energy. Beautiful kids if I remember correctly and I think he's also a keen cyclist. Career, family, hobbies, it's all good.

To return to the previous question, generally speaking, I don't believe everybody can achieve this sort of success (setting aside the possibly contentious issue of what constitutes success) because it takes a level of drive and determination that most people don't have. The key issue, in my experience, is not so much whether a person has a certain theoretical ability, but whether they also have the propulsive force of personality required to create something practical from it.

Dan

Angie Garbarino
Christopher Schröder
Jared Tabor

Angie Garbarino
Member (2003)
French to Italian
+ ...
Yes, absolutely Mar 27

Dan Lucas wrote:

To return to the previous question, generally speaking, I don't believe everybody can achieve this sort of success (setting aside the possibly contentious issue of what constitutes success) because it takes a level of drive and determination that most people don't have. The key issue, in my experience, is not so much whether a person has a certain theoretical ability, but whether they also have the propulsive force of personality required to create something practical from it.

Dan

Determination, propulsive force from personality, love for work, and self-confidence. I know very well a man like that (my 40 years old son).

Christopher Schröder

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Clarification Mar 27

Dan Lucas wrote:

Well, I have never met Dylan or chatted to him, but on the surface he seems to be enjoying life in sunny Brisbane.

I wasn't referring to Dylan (or Marcel) but to my hypothetical scenario of churning out 20,000 words a day, 50 weeks a year. (As it happens, though, Dylan's most recent contributions were about regaining a life!)

Angie Garbarino

Robert Rietvelt
Robert Rietvelt  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
We seem to forget the main ingredient.... Mar 27

Dan Lucas wrote:

Dan

.... namely jobs!

If the well is drying up, and no, or not enough work is coming in, you can get up anytime in the morning you want, but you will never make a 100k a year.

Remember, we don't generate jobs, they are generated for us. We only translate them (but that is a totally different subject).

[Edited at 2024-03-27 10:18 GMT]

Liena Vijupe
Angie Garbarino
Kevin Fulton
P.L.F. Persio

Angie Garbarino
Member (2003)
French to Italian
+ ...
Quality of life Mar 27

I wasn't referring to Dylan (or Marcel) but to my hypothetical scenario of churning out 20,000 words a day, 50 weeks a year. (As it happens, though, Dylan's most recent contributions were about regaining a life!)

I agree, quality of life is of paramont importance, especially when you have to deal with your sunset boulevard.

Baran Keki

Baran Keki
Türkiye
English to Turkish
Golden opportunity Mar 27

Matthias Brombach wrote:
...he translated from Thai into English and I assume 100K means 100K in THB, which is not bad at all when living in LB land...

Angie is right, he made it in USD, so did Mr. Hartman apparently (though I didn't know about this before, seeing as how he hasn't made any posts here for years, he must be busy making hay while the sun shines and depletes the ozone layer over Brisbane).
But can you imagine the opportunity these guys have? They can actually double that 100K income by launching a super online mastermind empowerment course titled "Empower your translation business in the age of AI: How to make 100K a year out of human translation". I know I would!

Christopher Schröder
Matthias Brombach

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you earn more than 2000 EUR net/month as a linguist?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »