Budapest conference 2007 - Feedback
Sledi avtorju: Csaba Ban
kyoko oyama
kyoko oyama  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:26
angleščina - japonščina
+ ...
Many thanks! it was just really great! May 3, 2007

The conference was just amazing, wonderful, I will repeat all the good regards posted here. Amongst, I would like to express special thanks to Csaba and his wife who helped me up all the way to make it possible for me to be in and enjoy the conference and the beautiful city of Budapest. The loooong journey from Japan, via Soul, Vienna to Budapest was worthwhile given such a wonderful time and chance to meet people all over the world. I also thank to Henry for offering us the time and space for t... See more
The conference was just amazing, wonderful, I will repeat all the good regards posted here. Amongst, I would like to express special thanks to Csaba and his wife who helped me up all the way to make it possible for me to be in and enjoy the conference and the beautiful city of Budapest. The loooong journey from Japan, via Soul, Vienna to Budapest was worthwhile given such a wonderful time and chance to meet people all over the world. I also thank to Henry for offering us the time and space for the interpreters' gathering.
I just got back home tonight very tired but will work on summing up the voices from the interpreters and post them later. For now, I thank all the organizers and participants and say I can' wait for the next conference.
Collapse

Austra Muizniece
Austra Muizniece  Identity Verified
Latvija
Local time: 12:26
Član (2004)
angleščina - latvijščina
+ ...
Preliminary photos May 3, 2007

http://picasaweb.google.com/austra.muizniece/Budapest5thProZComConference

lisevs
lisevs
Local time: 11:26
more photos and more praise May 3, 2007

hi,

so here are our photos too:
http://picasaweb.google.de/vokabularium/Proz_budapest_2007

some of the things I liked most:
- nice long coffee breaks that allowed to talk, and talk, and talk with colleagues from almost all over the world

- so many friendly and relaxed people

- many good and useful ideas on differen
... See more
hi,

so here are our photos too:
http://picasaweb.google.de/vokabularium/Proz_budapest_2007

some of the things I liked most:
- nice long coffee breaks that allowed to talk, and talk, and talk with colleagues from almost all over the world

- so many friendly and relaxed people

- many good and useful ideas on different things in the talks, and apart from that it is always nice to hear that colleagues make similar experiences and handle them in more or less the same way as I do. in other words: it is such a pleasure to meet other people who think the same way

- hotel location had just the right size, the garden was a great place to chat with others

- boat trip was fun, a really good idea

- powwow locations were fine in my opinion (oktogon + platan, can't comment on friday because I wasn't there yet)

- perfect organisition, clear informations, everybody knew where and when what was going on and how to get there in the right time

already looking forward to the next conference

br to everyone I met
lise
Collapse

Lorenzo Lilli
Lorenzo Lilli  Identity Verified
nemščina - italijanščina
+ ...
Great organisation but not all sessions were so great May 3, 2007

The organisation was just perfect IMO - ok, we had to wait a bit at restaurants but every place is crowded on Friday and Saturday night. After all we were there just to chat and relax, I didn't mind waiting. I really enjoyed the walking tour on Friday and the wordfast training and Memoq presentation on Monday. Unfortunately, the other sessions I attended did not really live up to my expectations. The speakers were no doubt competent, but I think they should have adopted a different approach, wit... See more
The organisation was just perfect IMO - ok, we had to wait a bit at restaurants but every place is crowded on Friday and Saturday night. After all we were there just to chat and relax, I didn't mind waiting. I really enjoyed the walking tour on Friday and the wordfast training and Memoq presentation on Monday. Unfortunately, the other sessions I attended did not really live up to my expectations. The speakers were no doubt competent, but I think they should have adopted a different approach, with more practical insight rather than theory. Nevertheless, kudos to them for holding a speech in a foreign language in front of a crowd - I wouln't manage to do that. And of course, meeting so many colleagues was amazing, especially for those of us who work alone all day (well, virtually all of us ). I look forward to the next conference!Collapse

Dan Marasescu
Dan Marasescu  Identity Verified
Romunija
Član (2003)
angleščina - romunščina
+ ...
Photos May 3, 2007

Hello,

Here are my photos. Sorry for not having so many. I censored some Csaba stripping photos. They are for members only

http://picasaweb.google.com/tradofilia/ProZComConference2007

Sergey Strakhov
Sergey Strakhov  Identity Verified
Član (2004)
angleščina - ruščina
+ ...
Awaiting the countdown to the next ProZ.com Conference:) May 3, 2007

New people, new impressions, new ideas, new prospects. And all of this - in the fabulous scenery of Budapest... It was really exciting, many thanks to the organizers !

You are welcome to have a glance at a couple of photos from this conference and its surroundings below: here

[Bearbeitet am 2007-05-03 22:55]

Rebekka Groß (X)
Rebekka Groß (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:26
angleščina - nemščina
vetting speakers and giving feedback May 4, 2007

Justine Fischbach wrote:

I think it would be a good idea in the future to do a "call for papers" in good time before the conference, so that the conference organisers can review the speaker´s topic, experience, etc.

Hi Justine

I take your point about vetting potential sessions and speakers. Conference organiser ask the speakers to give an outline of their session to assess its content. However, many speakers don't have their sessions all ready and prepared weeks or event months before a conference. On the other hand, even if it sounds good on paper doesn't guarantee that the session will be a success.

Also as far as giving feedback goes, this is not exactly anonymous and may prevent many from saying what they really think.

When you leave feedback online, there is an option to leave anonymous feedback. Actually, I am not in favour of this option. Why wouldn't people want to stand by their opinions?

Any other conferences or training sessions I have attended have always provided a feedback form to be filled in directly after the session. It´s anonymous and the speaker gets to see straightaway whether there is room for improvement or not. Just an idea for next time...although it would be more paperwork.

This was considered before the conference but with 20+ sessions and over 250 attendees, the amount of paperwork would have been tremendous...and it would have been up to me to read and analyse it all :S

The good news, however, is that the restriction that only those who signed up for a session can leave feedback has been scrapped. Now, every conference attendee, but attendees only, can leave feedback for any session giving everyone the option to have their say about the sessions they attended.

I've also got plans to revamp the online feedback form reminding people to leave meaningful feedback rather than generic comments such as "It was useful" or "Not for me".

Hope this helps.

Rebekka

Rebekka Groß (X)
angleščina - nemščina
how to leave online feedback May 4, 2007

Hi again

Just to clarify how to leave online feedback. You may notice that a Submit Feedback link is displayed only under the sessions you originally signed up for. However, you can still leave feedback for any session you attended by clicking the session name on the Program tab and scrolling to the end of the page with the session description and participants. Just click the Submit feedback about this session link in the Feedback about this session box.

You will receiv
... See more
Hi again

Just to clarify how to leave online feedback. You may notice that a Submit Feedback link is displayed only under the sessions you originally signed up for. However, you can still leave feedback for any session you attended by clicking the session name on the Program tab and scrolling to the end of the page with the session description and participants. Just click the Submit feedback about this session link in the Feedback about this session box.

You will receive 20 BrowniZ for every feedback comment entered

Rebekka
Collapse

Veronika Hansova
Veronika Hansova  Identity Verified
Češka republika
Član (2006)
angleščina - češčina
+ ...
Many thanks + one shy suggestion May 4, 2007

Hi,

I would like to thank to all organizers, moderators, speakers as well as participants. I would only repeat what was already said here and so I move right away to what I am about to suggest.

We are an international group of translators, interpretors and outsourcers. Who else could be more flexible in languages than us?
Therefore:
- Is there any possibility to interpret the most attended sessions to other world languages?

- Would there be v
... See more
Hi,

I would like to thank to all organizers, moderators, speakers as well as participants. I would only repeat what was already said here and so I move right away to what I am about to suggest.

We are an international group of translators, interpretors and outsourcers. Who else could be more flexible in languages than us?
Therefore:
- Is there any possibility to interpret the most attended sessions to other world languages?

- Would there be volunteers to do it? Let's say at least to Spanish, French...etc? Most of us can speak/understand either English or Spanish, French, German, Russian. Chinese/Arabic translators most often translate to one of those languages too.

- Is it technically feasible?

- Would be people more interested in attending such event even if it was a bit more expensive? To think about it, the extra cost for interpretors and interpreting technology could be perhaps covered by increased number of participants...

F.e. my sister (Czech) translates from Russian and Spanish. She would love to attend such a conference but she was out of question since all the sessions were in English. Is there any rule? We have been localizing ProZ.com web contents to help other translators joining us - could we do that in case of conferences too?

Veronika

P.S. Please don't crucify me if I am naive...
Collapse

Rebekka Groß (X)
angleščina - nemščina
photos uploaded May 4, 2007

You can see some of my photos here: http://picasaweb.google.de/sparkieboo/ProZComConferenceBudapest2007

There are lots of buildings with interesting architectural features and a small selection of the statues displayed in Statue Park.

Rebekka Groß (X)
angleščina - nemščina
Sharing your photos May 4, 2007

Hi

I've created a new thread, Budapest conference - links to photos at http://www.proz.com/topic/72164, where you can publish the link to any photos you'd like to share with the community.

Can't wait to see more!

Rebekka

Karen Vincent-Jones (X)
Karen Vincent-Jones (X)  Identity Verified
Združeno kraljestvo
francoščina - angleščina
+ ...
Feedback from a UK delegate May 4, 2007

Fistly, many thanks to Csaba -and Mrs Ban- for organising the conference, and to the Benczur staff for doing a great job. I enjoyed the Sunday sessions on marketing texts, (although the room was too small), terminology management, and on Umberto Eco and found them useful and valuable.
I was less happy about Monday's sessions, although the session on the EU as a service provider was useful: the sessions on word went too fast for me, not helped by an unfamiliar computer, and the guidebook s
... See more
Fistly, many thanks to Csaba -and Mrs Ban- for organising the conference, and to the Benczur staff for doing a great job. I enjoyed the Sunday sessions on marketing texts, (although the room was too small), terminology management, and on Umberto Eco and found them useful and valuable.
I was less happy about Monday's sessions, although the session on the EU as a service provider was useful: the sessions on word went too fast for me, not helped by an unfamiliar computer, and the guidebook session did not seem to address issues of translation at all.
But overall, a great experience, and Budapest is lovely. I feel lucky to be staying another week.
Roll on the next ProZ.com conference- in the South of France? I shall be there!
Collapse

Henrique Magalhaes
Henrique Magalhaes  Identity Verified
angleščina - portugalščina
+ ...
Budapest...how nice it was! May 4, 2007

Hi Prozians&prozianas!
My second time at a Pz. conference & for 2nd. time I was pleased & happy to be there!

As f. lancer I spend too much time alone...so this was an occasion to meet all fellow prozians...nice getting together!

My compliments to Csaba & company for all their efforts in making this 3 day stay...look like a little bit of my forecast about what Paradise should be. NB: I don´t know if there is any goulash up there?

Enjoying talking&list
... See more
Hi Prozians&prozianas!
My second time at a Pz. conference & for 2nd. time I was pleased & happy to be there!

As f. lancer I spend too much time alone...so this was an occasion to meet all fellow prozians...nice getting together!

My compliments to Csaba & company for all their efforts in making this 3 day stay...look like a little bit of my forecast about what Paradise should be. NB: I don´t know if there is any goulash up there?

Enjoying talking&listening to all languages I tried my best not missing any word ...even if I understand only 5 & a little bit of the 6th. (German)...was able to listen around 3xtimes, 1 hr. each, to Russian in my room TV...Nazdrovnie!(Is it well?)

But I have a proposition to make:
1. Objective: give NES (non English speakers) a chance...
2. Title: LTM (Let Me Speak)
3. Target: NES wanting to improve their speaking abilities
4. Mode: speaking on a stand only w/ footnotes
5. Duration: 5-7 min
6. Access: Probably by loosing Kudoz. (Ex.: 10-15 Kd /min?)
7. Evaluation: by a ES jury chosen by Pz staff. F.ex., if it is a good assessment the speaker can earn back the the Kd. points.I still have a proposal for evaluation..maybe later...
NB: Can I get some feedback by a Pz.reponsible?

Southern France would be a nice place to go...mostly in Provence...good food&wine, V. Gogh, Gauguin & so forth...

All the best to those who are in this business & looking forward to see you again.

Warm saluti to everybody!

Henrique (Rico...for friends)
Collapse

Csaba Ban
Csaba Ban  Identity Verified
Madžarska
Član (2002)
angleščina - madžarščina
+ ...
S TEMO ZAČEL
Languages May 4, 2007

Dear Veronika,

Perhaps this is one of the reasons why regional conferences exist. In such events, some or all sessions are held in the local language. So why not organize a regional one in Sevilla or St Petersburg so that your sister can also attend?

Cs.

Henrique Magalhaes
Henrique Magalhaes  Identity Verified
angleščina - portugalščina
+ ...
Addendum May 4, 2007

Coming back to my proposal for a LMS (Let Me Speak) I forget to say maybe the most important thing: SPEAKING would be in ENGLISH!!!!!!

Strani v okviru teme:   < [1 2 3 4 5] >

Ta forum nima izrecno določenega moderatorja.
Obrnite se na osebje spletišča », če bi radi sporočili prestopek proti pravilom ali pa če potrebujete pomoč.

Budapest conference 2007 - Feedback

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »