CecileLavis
CecileLavis  Identity Verified
Belgium
Local time: 07:10
English to French
+ ...
Margarita Cole Apr 17, 2011

Hello all,

Just to say I have also been contacted. I did not pay attention first so I replied, but then the weird formulation made me doubt.

Could Proz do something about this kind of ad? I try to be very careful, always check here when a doubt and always reporting any strange post, but really, it's sometime tiring to have to be a bit 'paranoiac'...

Regards,

Cécile

Gabrielle Martin Da Silva
Gabrielle Martin Da Silva  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
Me too Apr 17, 2011

Just received exactly the same 2 emails.
I chose not to work for this person.
This is a scam.

[ April 2011 ]

Chiara Torres
Chiara Torres  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
margarita cole scam? Apr 20, 2011

dear all,

i have also received the same email. i replied and as i wanted to establish a purchase order i asked for address details and personal information.

so far i have received a scottish address and am waiting for an ID number or something of the sort.

as i was suspicious i looked for the job and then i found this thread, hence i have decided not to do anything about the work requested.

warm regards to all and thanks for posting your dou
... See more
dear all,

i have also received the same email. i replied and as i wanted to establish a purchase order i asked for address details and personal information.

so far i have received a scottish address and am waiting for an ID number or something of the sort.

as i was suspicious i looked for the job and then i found this thread, hence i have decided not to do anything about the work requested.

warm regards to all and thanks for posting your doubts and helping us all
Collapse

ISAAC PRADEL LEAL
ISAAC PRADEL LEAL  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2011)
French to Spanish
+ ...
Well... I'm a newcomer at Proz... Apr 21, 2011

And I fuck/&% did the translation job despite of everything (weird formulation... etc...)... and now someone has got my %&/ing banking data for a payment I will most probably not receive...

Now... why was the posted job supressed from the board... ????

I guess Proz should whistleblow on those ads instead of just supressing them ...

[Editado a las 2011-04-21 20:20 GMT]

Madeleine Chevassus
Madeleine Chevassus  Identity Verified
France
Member (2010)
English to French
SITE LOCALIZER
maybe another new scammer Apr 23, 2011

hello

yesterday I quoted a job post for a 21 000 words translation.

I got very quickly an answer from XXX (an individual);

In the mail his address is in Sweden

the style of the text of the mail is very similar (even with the same English mistakes) to a well known refrain i.e.:

"I appreciate the time you take out to send your CV and the write up. I have checked you
... See more
hello

yesterday I quoted a job post for a 21 000 words translation.

I got very quickly an answer from XXX (an individual);

In the mail his address is in Sweden

the style of the text of the mail is very similar (even with the same English mistakes) to a well known refrain i.e.:

"I appreciate the time you take out to send your CV and the write up. I have checked your Cv and Quote.I am pleased to tell you that i choose you to work on the project for we are in between a new business.I am a Private investor who work with local and few foreign business on short time business.I attached a part of the work tittles project, just want you to have understanding of what we are about to do together.

Address is .

Name. XXX
Address..YYY,
Stockholm.Sweden

Now i guess you have an idea of the person you about to start work with. Please let it be clear that it is a beginning of a good business relationship .

The delivery date is negotiable but must be done in 2weeks

++ Can you state out your date of delivery and method in which you will have all done
++ categorically state your city and country of residence?"

by the way there was no text enclosed ..

I had before a scam problem with exactly the same mail text but it was from Hungary and I was asked to cash fake traveler's checks (as a prepaid) and to refund 80% of the amount from my own money..

Have a nice week-end

Marie

[Edited at 2011-04-25 16:02 GMT]
Collapse

Marina Puertas
Marina Puertas  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2010)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Marie Apr 23, 2011

For me this sentence is clear:

Now i guess you have an idea of the person you about to start work with. Please let it be clear that it is a beginning of a good business relationship

It appears in every single scam-email!

ISAAC PRADEL LEAL
Spain
Member (2011)
French to Spanish
+ ...
Michael... & many other names as well... Apr 23, 2011

A few weeks ago... Micheal Powel sent the same text attachment... Since Proz seems unwilling to control this... or whistleblow on the dubious ads... (I mean, was it a "corporate member" with a 5.0 WTA ... ???, can't know... it is just not on the board anymore....!!!! ) ... I guess this is becoming the website's unofficial scam / fraud alert system... !! .. By the way... how did I get into this shithole... ?? .. Oh, yessir... I am a professional looking for work...!!! ... So either a chinaman off... See more
A few weeks ago... Micheal Powel sent the same text attachment... Since Proz seems unwilling to control this... or whistleblow on the dubious ads... (I mean, was it a "corporate member" with a 5.0 WTA ... ???, can't know... it is just not on the board anymore....!!!! ) ... I guess this is becoming the website's unofficial scam / fraud alert system... !! .. By the way... how did I get into this shithole... ?? .. Oh, yessir... I am a professional looking for work...!!! ... So either a chinaman offers 0,007 USD for a translation he can't do himself... (Anyone wants his e-mail... ????) ... or I shall simply slalom fraudsters...!! This is a joke...!!
I.
Collapse

ISAAC PRADEL LEAL
Spain
Member (2011)
French to Spanish
+ ...
END OF THE STORY... I AM FOOL OF THE WEEK...!! Apr 29, 2011

my latest reply to Ms. Cole sums it up a bit :

Chickenshit scam...

Well I've just received a 4,000.00 Euro check from a company called CXXXXXX (Phone nº : + 34 6XXXXXXX)I, despite the fact the company is based in Valladolid, the envelope it came in with no attached letter was stamped in Sevilla... Plus I shall the add the fact that I would never cash a Check from a company I haven't invoiced, since that would involver at least a tax fraud... And I may be many things,
... See more
my latest reply to Ms. Cole sums it up a bit :

Chickenshit scam...

Well I've just received a 4,000.00 Euro check from a company called CXXXXXX (Phone nº : + 34 6XXXXXXX)I, despite the fact the company is based in Valladolid, the envelope it came in with no attached letter was stamped in Sevilla... Plus I shall the add the fact that I would never cash a Check from a company I haven't invoiced, since that would involver at least a tax fraud... And I may be many things, but not a Fraudster..

Yet, I've spoke with the company's Chief Finanacial Officer, Mr. CXXXXXX AXXXXXX, and no check was issued to my name from that company, plus Margarita Cole is unheard of in the batallion...

NOW, I may have lost a working week's job, but I wish this crap shall stop, and above all, my willingness to work again for you amounts to ZERO, until the amount that you rightfully owe me : A TOTAL OF : 774,50 EUROS has been paid...

Yours faithfully,

Isaac Pradel Leal

Of course... Spain's Policia Nacional's website is nightmarish enough just to put them through the basics of the story...
Collapse

Elin Lindqvist
Elin Lindqvist  Identity Verified
France
English to Swedish
+ ...
and I guess I am the fool this week May 4, 2011

Hello,

I can't believe that this happened to me as well! I obviously should have checked on this forum earlier on because yes indeed her emails were strange and the language dubious but you know, you want to give people the benefit of the doubt and I have worked with honest people in the past with bad English skills and strange projects.

We agreed on a certain amount to be paid in advance and then the rest to be paid upon completion and approval of the project. I wait
... See more
Hello,

I can't believe that this happened to me as well! I obviously should have checked on this forum earlier on because yes indeed her emails were strange and the language dubious but you know, you want to give people the benefit of the doubt and I have worked with honest people in the past with bad English skills and strange projects.

We agreed on a certain amount to be paid in advance and then the rest to be paid upon completion and approval of the project. I waited a week or so before I started on the project because I was expecting to receive an order number from her as well as my advance as a security cushion before starting.

However, because this happened during Easter, I gave her and banking systems the benefit of the doubt and thought that it was better that I got started on the project since it was a dense and rather complicated document. During an intense week's work her emails did get stranger saying that her accountant had sent me a larger amount then what I was due and could I please keep the total amount that was originally agreed upon and send her back the rest that she needed to complete a very large and important project in her life....

Again, of course by this time I was very suspicious but I thought, hey, life is complicated sometimes and I better just respond politely and nicely.

Anyway, now she has my bank details and my address and I have the finished translation. The advance payment we agreed on has of course not arrived and I am not about to send her the translation before I've received at least that amount.

At the same time, I am now very scared and although I am of course going to talk to my bank; I am scared that there has been some sort of identity theft. Or money laundering? I find it rather terrifying.

The UK mobile phone number she has given me seems to be off with an immediate automatic answering machine. The address is a private home in Cheshire, UK, which I happen to be very close to at the moment. I am thinking of passing by but I suspect one of three things: there will be nobody there, some random person quietly lives there and has nothing to do with this or that I might be greeted by somebody not so friendly.

Has anybody else gone this far with her?

Grateful for any help or advice,

All the best,
Elin
Collapse

Vittorio Ferretti
Vittorio Ferretti  Identity Verified
English to German
+ ...
It's fraud May 12, 2011

Dear all,

I am ashamed to confess that I fave been victim of this gang with a loss of 7,200 Euro plus the 800 Euro for the delivered translation.
Immedaitely after the translation "Margarita Cole"

[email protected]
10 The Square
Granton on Spey
PH26 3HG
United Kingdom

sent me an email stating that her accountant had made a mistake by sending me 8,000 Euro, w
... See more
Dear all,

I am ashamed to confess that I fave been victim of this gang with a loss of 7,200 Euro plus the 800 Euro for the delivered translation.
Immedaitely after the translation "Margarita Cole"

[email protected]
10 The Square
Granton on Spey
PH26 3HG
United Kingdom

sent me an email stating that her accountant had made a mistake by sending me 8,000 Euro, which were for another translator, asking me to refund the difference urgently (they would absorb the urgency cost). As soon as I noticed the entry of 8,000 Euro in my account (I did not notice that it was due to cheque "under reservation") I sent the 7,200 to the indicated account:

Kevin Davids
IBAN ES 78 21001825420200123759BIC CAIXESBBXX
Caixa d'Esttalvis I Pensions De BARC
Avenida Diagonal 621-629
Barcelona

Today my bank informed me that the cheque had been rejected.
The emitter of the cheque "Comardi" informed me that the cheques were being by forgery and that they had already made a notification. I hope that that bank in Barcelona can trace this "Kevin Davids".

For me it is a loss of about 800 hours of translation time (and life).
Collapse

Elin Lindqvist
Elin Lindqvist  Identity Verified
France
English to Swedish
+ ...
Fraud discovered at last minute May 18, 2011

I am so sorry for you Vittorio and I hope that your bank and the police will be able to help you. The same thing almost happened to me; but before sending the money back; I asked my bank to express check the funds on the source account. Since it ended up being an empty account; the transfer was simply cancelled. I hope that the bank or the police will be able to do something for you.
All the best,
Elin

Think this may be a scam Jun 20, 2012

Hi, I'm living in Ireland and have recently been in contact on the internet with someone called Margarita Cole. Her English is not perfect and of course her offer is a little too good to be true. I applied to be her "Personal Assistant" and was given the job with no interview or anything. I have just received a cheque from her but not signed by her for €2,395. I would have cashed it or lodged it only my name is wrong on the cheque. She has told me that I will be completing errands and sho... See more
Hi, I'm living in Ireland and have recently been in contact on the internet with someone called Margarita Cole. Her English is not perfect and of course her offer is a little too good to be true. I applied to be her "Personal Assistant" and was given the job with no interview or anything. I have just received a cheque from her but not signed by her for €2,395. I would have cashed it or lodged it only my name is wrong on the cheque. She has told me that I will be completing errands and shopping for her and then to take my pay from what is left over.

Thank God I have just seen this forum as I cannot afford to be scammed. The envelope had a Spanish stamp.

Bye for now, Siobhan
Collapse

Enrique Cavalitto
Enrique Cavalitto  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 02:10
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
Overpayment scam Jun 20, 2012

SiobhanBrassil wrote:

Hi, I'm living in Ireland and have recently been in contact on the internet with someone called Margarita Cole. Her English is not perfect and of course her offer is a little too good to be true. I applied to be her "Personal Assistant" and was given the job with no interview or anything. I have just received a cheque from her but not signed by her for €2,395. I would have cashed it or lodged it only my name is wrong on the cheque. She has told me that I will be completing errands and shopping for her and then to take my pay from what is left over.

This is a classic overpayment scam where you cash a check, wire back the excess payment (or shop for the scammer) and then the bank lets you know that the check was a forgery.

I would advise cutting all communication with them.

Regards,
Enrique

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Could this be a scam?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »