Warning members of attempted fraud (traveller checks)
Thread poster: gangels (X)
gangels (X)
gangels (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:38
German to English
+ ...
May 18, 2011

I almost fell victim to an attempted fraud and would like to warn members not to fall for the trick.

Someone ordered a translation job for $1,200. He offered to make an advance payment of $400. A couple of days later, I received 6 traveller checks at $500 each ($3,000). The guy send me an email profusely apologizing for his mistake and would I kindly return the excess $2,600 by Western Union after I deposited the traveller checks. Of course, I waited till the checks cleared, and as
... See more
I almost fell victim to an attempted fraud and would like to warn members not to fall for the trick.

Someone ordered a translation job for $1,200. He offered to make an advance payment of $400. A couple of days later, I received 6 traveller checks at $500 each ($3,000). The guy send me an email profusely apologizing for his mistake and would I kindly return the excess $2,600 by Western Union after I deposited the traveller checks. Of course, I waited till the checks cleared, and as it turned out, my bank told me yesterday that the bank at the other end would not honor the fraudulent checks.

Hope nobody else falls for that ruse. The shyster claims to be German but only communicates in lousy English from Sweden. His email: [email protected]
Collapse

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 19:38
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Central information point May 18, 2011

This is a well-known scam and I'm glad to hear you weren't caught out by it, although I believe you can get yourself into trouble simply by presenting the cheques to the bank. See here for more inform... See more
This is a well-known scam and I'm glad to hear you weren't caught out by it, although I believe you can get yourself into trouble simply by presenting the cheques to the bank. See here for more information, everyone:

http://www.proz.com/forum/scams/198052-some_reference_links_related_to_detecting_scams_and_risk_management.html
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Warning members of attempted fraud (traveller checks)

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »