Thread poster: Trinh Do
Trinh Do
Trinh Do  Identity Verified
Australia
Member (2007)
English to Vietnamese
+ ...
Apr 12, 2012

I received an e-mail offering collaboration on a German-English medical project with long-term collaboration, something any freelance translator would dream of. However, as I am overloaded, and still considering this, I decided to check whether it was legitimate or not. The name of the sender is 'Agatha Wear', sounds like an alias to me. First of all, I check 'Lengotrans', it was not listed on the Blueboard, and also the address which was claimed to be '...Floral Street, Covent Garden', but the... See more
I received an e-mail offering collaboration on a German-English medical project with long-term collaboration, something any freelance translator would dream of. However, as I am overloaded, and still considering this, I decided to check whether it was legitimate or not. The name of the sender is 'Agatha Wear', sounds like an alias to me. First of all, I check 'Lengotrans', it was not listed on the Blueboard, and also the address which was claimed to be '...Floral Street, Covent Garden', but the name was spelled incorrectly. This raised doubts in me. In addition, there was the IP address - '92.253.88.228' which shows that it is in Jordan, so I thought the best step is to delete the e-mail and warn all Proz.com translators of this. Surely, you are not working for a British agency, but someone in Jordan.

Hope nobody has contacted them.
Collapse

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 07:29
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Thank you Apr 12, 2012

...for posting this here, Trinh Do.
Together we can fight all scammer.

Melanie Nassar
Melanie Nassar  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:29
German to English
+ ...
I received the same message Apr 12, 2012

from Agatha, but the IP address was 94.249.12.159. I just looked it up, and it is also in Jordan. This does not concern me in itself (Jordan is my neighbor, after all), and I already work with various agencies in the Middle East. It is a global world. Possibly the person who sent the emails was traveling in Jordan. Maybe a bit unusual, but no proof of a scam yet. I might have answered if I had time for this job and used UK-EN.
By the way, the agencies I work with in the Middle East (Kuw
... See more
from Agatha, but the IP address was 94.249.12.159. I just looked it up, and it is also in Jordan. This does not concern me in itself (Jordan is my neighbor, after all), and I already work with various agencies in the Middle East. It is a global world. Possibly the person who sent the emails was traveling in Jordan. Maybe a bit unusual, but no proof of a scam yet. I might have answered if I had time for this job and used UK-EN.
By the way, the agencies I work with in the Middle East (Kuwait, Lebanon, Qatar) have been absolutely reliable and supportive, unlike some (one, to be exact) in Germany.
Collapse

W Schouten
W Schouten
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:29
Dutch to English
lengotrans does not pay and mobile number is false Apr 25, 2012

I did 1/3 of the translation of an article about EU law in the Belgian law journal (I thought that with clients like that she would be ok) my part was worth £500, there must be 2 more Dutch to English legal translators that have not been paid, emails not answered, mobile number false. She said by email that she was visiting her husband in Jordan as he is Jordanian (hence the time difference). She had contacted me through Proz

Enrique Cavalitto
Enrique Cavalitto  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 02:29
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
Scam alert issued Apr 25, 2012

A scam alert was issued on this scam on April 17, 2012.

Remember that site members can subscribe to the alert messages generated ion ProZ.com translators scam alert center... See more
A scam alert was issued on this scam on April 17, 2012.

Remember that site members can subscribe to the alert messages generated ion ProZ.com translators scam alert center.

Regards,
Enrique
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Aware - 'Lengotrans' - from 'Agatha'

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »