An Old Scam under the Name of UNICEF?
Thread poster: yiyaya
yiyaya
yiyaya  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:10
Chinese to English
+ ...
May 24, 2012

I saw a job post saying a Chinese translator urgently needed and I did apply. A guy soon got back to me asking for my physical address, full name and best rates etc. He said that a hard copy and an e-copy of the UNICEF project of about 12500 words would be sent to me along with the pay. The domain name of this guy's email was yahoo.com, which triggered my suspicion. There were also typos and grammatical mistakes in his email.

According to him, he was from the American Educational C
... See more
I saw a job post saying a Chinese translator urgently needed and I did apply. A guy soon got back to me asking for my physical address, full name and best rates etc. He said that a hard copy and an e-copy of the UNICEF project of about 12500 words would be sent to me along with the pay. The domain name of this guy's email was yahoo.com, which triggered my suspicion. There were also typos and grammatical mistakes in his email.

According to him, he was from the American Educational Consultants which (I googled) is based in Ohio, whereas this guy called from NJ. The name that he was using was on the name list of the Associated Consultants on the website of American Educational Consultants. Whenever I asked if his project was for real and that he should prove that he was not a fraud, he would say he could not understand me and BTW he had very heavy accent. Most important, he was very impatient and suddenly hanged up.

Just want to share this with you. I know this kind of scam has been there for quite long. The fraud will keep changing his name and identity stolen from a real agency or org.

Take care, freelancers.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

An Old Scam under the Name of UNICEF?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »