Willem Wunderink
Willem Wunderink
Netherlands
Local time: 03:08
Member (2011)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Jun 29, 2012

Several people are trying to make you pay, by offering you a job, sending an overpay cheque and asking you to pay the difference "back".

There is no "back", as there will be no money!

Cheques are uncovered and will be withdrawn (1 year period allowed!).
Your payment will be gone forever.

Names:
Prof. Antonio Miccoli
Shana Putnam
.. and many others...

Be warned!
... See more
Several people are trying to make you pay, by offering you a job, sending an overpay cheque and asking you to pay the difference "back".

There is no "back", as there will be no money!

Cheques are uncovered and will be withdrawn (1 year period allowed!).
Your payment will be gone forever.

Names:
Prof. Antonio Miccoli
Shana Putnam
.. and many others...

Be warned!

All the best,
Willem Wunderink
http://www.companyit.nl/
http://www.italcompany-lancaster.nl
http://www.uspolo.nl
Collapse

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
:) Jun 29, 2012

Thank you for this reminder. It cannot be mentioned/brought to attention often enough.

All the best and stay safe.

Thayenga

Enrique Cavalitto
Enrique Cavalitto  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 22:08
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
Scam alert center Jul 2, 2012

Thanks Willem,

You will find more information about scams in the translators scam alerts center. As a ProZ.com member you can subscribe to the scam alert messages.

Regards,
Enrique

Pamela Shepard Garcia
Pamela Shepard Garcia
United States
Local time: 18:08
English to Spanish
+ ...
Just received an "over payment" - should I fear repercussion? Jul 10, 2012

Same situation as described in proz.com's scam alert center: received over payment check in excess of $2,700...it was kind of obviously a scam. I turned the check over to my bank to alert them the check was cut on an account there. Turns out my bank was delighted I brought it to their attention - they have a department dedicated to tracking fraud/scam transactions.

My hope is this individual will not take any further action against my name, because, alas, I did send "her" my address
... See more
Same situation as described in proz.com's scam alert center: received over payment check in excess of $2,700...it was kind of obviously a scam. I turned the check over to my bank to alert them the check was cut on an account there. Turns out my bank was delighted I brought it to their attention - they have a department dedicated to tracking fraud/scam transactions.

My hope is this individual will not take any further action against my name, because, alas, I did send "her" my address for payment, thinking at the outset it was a legitimate request for a translation. I have no idea what this person could do apart from send me awful things in the mail.
Collapse

Willem Wunderink
Willem Wunderink
Netherlands
Member (2011)
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@carreonp Jul 10, 2012

You did the right thing.

Here the bank will not take any action, but I can imagine that since the croooks are located somewhere in the USA, your banks might be interested in tracking them down. They probably have a lot of work dealing with questions and problems of potential and actual victims.

I wouldn't worry about the exposure: the last thing that these villains want is to draw personal attention.

Enrique Cavalitto
Enrique Cavalitto  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 22:08
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
You did well Jul 18, 2012

carreonp wrote:

My hope is this individual will not take any further action against my name, because, alas, I did send "her" my address for payment, thinking at the outset it was a legitimate request for a translation. I have no idea what this person could do apart from send me awful things in the mail.

I agree with Willem that you did the right thing with the checks, and that you should expect no further actions from the scammers.

My advise would be to make sure, when new unknown parties approach you with commercial offers, to get verifiable contact information, and to verify it. Risk management can be done only before you spend time and/or money. After that you can only perform damage control.

Regards,
Enrique

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

FRAUD Alert: overpaid cheque = scam tric

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »