Marion Candau
Marion Candau  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 02:22
Spanish to French
+ ...
Sep 5, 2013

Hello everyone,

I am a freelance translator since March because I've just finished my studies.
In july I became a member of Proz and two weeks later I found a translation job. It was a medical translation dealing with the depth of anesthesia. They gave me the price of 0,09/words for a 4890 word document.
I did the translation, "Kiana Lee" confirmed the reception and since I have sent the invoice, I haven't heard about her. I sent her emails but no answers.. They had u
... See more
Hello everyone,

In july I became a member of Proz and two weeks later I found a translation job. It was a medical translation dealing with the depth of anesthesia. They gave me the price of 0,09/words for a 4890 word document.
I did the translation, "Kiana Lee" confirmed the reception and since I have sent the invoice, I haven't heard about her. I sent her emails but no answers.. They had until August 21st to pay and I haven't received any payment...
The only thing I know is their email: [email protected]
I know I should have verified their identity before accepting the translation, but I did not. Now, what can I do?
Have you ever heard about them?

Thank you for your help,

Marion
Collapse

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 01:22
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Begin here: Sep 5, 2013

Marion Candau wrote:

Hello everyone,

I did the translation, "Kiana Lee" confirmed the reception and since I have sent the invoice, I haven't heard about her. I sent her emails but no answers.. They had until August 21st to pay and I haven't received any payment...
The only thing I know is their email: [email protected]
I know I should have verified their identity before accepting the translation, but I did not. Now, what can I do?

Thank you for your help,

Marion

Begin with the Blue Board. Is this agency represented there? If it is, give them a very bad rating and then tell them.

If they're not on the BB, create an entry for them and then do what I just said.

Then, after that, there are other steps you can take.

Christophe Delaunay
Christophe Delaunay  Identity Verified
France
Spanish to French
+ ...
Smells bad Sep 5, 2013

What a weird mail address for somebody asking for a medical translation dealing with the depth of anesthesia, no?
Good luck!

Marion Candau
France
Spanish to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Answer Sep 5, 2013

Thank you for your answer Tom! The agency does not seem to appear on the blue board when I write one of the three key words (best cheap travel), so I will create an entry.
What are the other steps I can take?

Egils Grikis
Egils Grikis  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Russian to Latvian
+ ...
scam and unpaid translation | whois Sep 5, 2013

Hi Marion,

Here is some info about domain you mentioned.

http://www.whois.de/(domain_name)

Creation Date: 2013-03-18 18:13:58
Expiration Date: 2014-03-18 18:13:58

Cheers, Egils

Marion Candau wrote:

Hello everyone,

…The only thing I know is their email…

Thank you for your help,

Marion

[Edited at 2013-09-06 06:50 GMT]

[Edited at 2013-09-06 08:01 GMT]

[Edited at 2013-09-06 11:31 GMT]

[Edited at 2013-09-06 11:32 GMT]

Marie-Helene Dubois
Marie-Helene Dubois  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2011)
Spanish to English
+ ...
fishy Sep 5, 2013

It does sound fishy to me. Firstly, the domain name is registered but there appears to be no website and no evidence that the company is in fact in operation. Secondly, I wonder why a company with a name like "best cheap travel" would need a translation about anaesthesia?

As Tom suggested, make a blue board entry. I would also search for the original e-mail or job posting and raise a support ticket with Proz.

The telephone number registered on whois looks fake too bec
... See more
It does sound fishy to me. Firstly, the domain name is registered but there appears to be no website and no evidence that the company is in fact in operation. Secondly, I wonder why a company with a name like "best cheap travel" would need a translation about anaesthesia?

As Tom suggested, make a blue board entry. I would also search for the original e-mail or job posting and raise a support ticket with Proz.

The telephone number registered on whois looks fake too because a French phone number usually has 9 digits after the country code and this one has 12. It also doesn't go with the address. I have found the address on street view and it is a block of flats. There is someone with a business at this address and his number starts +33 561.

[Edited at 2013-09-05 21:00 GMT]
Collapse

Madeleine van Zanten
Madeleine van Zanten
Switzerland
English to French
+ ...
Traceability Sep 5, 2013

Thanks for the info on how to find somebody, if only with a weird email. Marion, you should go after him, this kind of people ruins the business - if he doesn't react find the original customer and inform them of your client. Hope you will get paid, and welcome to the profession. It's a great way of making a living!

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason:
Marion Candau
France
Spanish to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Sep 6, 2013

Thank you everyone for your help! I appreciate!
Do you think I can call the man who created the domain?
Do you think he is directly involved in the case?

Thank you,

Marion

Maria Nerdrum
Maria Nerdrum  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Norwegian
+ ...
Most Likely a Scam! Sep 7, 2013

Hello Marion,

Personally, I think you have become a victim of a scam and sadly, you are not the first.

It is way too fishy the whole thing and the best you can do is to put the company up on the Blue board.

I seriously do not think you will get paid and I also think you will be wasting your time trying to contact the person, who is more than likely involved in the whole thing.

It would be better getting hold of the client, if you can, and expla
... See more
Hello Marion,

Personally, I think you have become a victim of a scam and sadly, you are not the first.

It is way too fishy the whole thing and the best you can do is to put the company up on the Blue board.

I seriously do not think you will get paid and I also think you will be wasting your time trying to contact the person, who is more than likely involved in the whole thing.

It would be better getting hold of the client, if you can, and explain the situation. Whether this will lead to any payment I honestly don't know, but they may want to use you again as a translator, which would be good news for you.

This industry is full of scammers unfortunately, see other links here. So just make sure you check the Blue board first next time and follow all the other useful tips here.

Best of luck!
Collapse

MildredDauvin
MildredDauvin
France
English to French
+ ...
It happened to me too!! Sep 8, 2013

Marion,

Basically the same thing happened to me, but she asked me to do some proofreading for her and never got back to me once the work was completed this July (2013).

Apparently this person has been banned/removed from the proz.com website, but they were under the (company) name : Diamond Translation / best-cheap-travel.com...

I feel so discouraged now, I was new to using this kind of system for translation work and my fears have now been confirmed...... See more
Marion,

Basically the same thing happened to me, but she asked me to do some proofreading for her and never got back to me once the work was completed this July (2013).

Apparently this person has been banned/removed from the proz.com website, but they were under the (company) name : Diamond Translation / best-cheap-travel.com...

I feel so discouraged now, I was new to using this kind of system for translation work and my fears have now been confirmed...

Let us know if you ever manage to do something about what has happened, but I have to admit I haven't been applying for as many jobs since this incident..

Take care and good luck,

Mildred
Collapse

Marion Candau
France
Spanish to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Action Sep 10, 2013

Thank you Maria and Mildred for your answer and advice.

Getting hold of the client is a good idea, but first I am going to call the guy who created the domain best-cheap-travel.com this afternoon. I have nothing to loose and I can't let him take advantage of people like that.

Since this bad experience, I haven't been applying for many jobs neither Mildred, but I guess we have to be more prudent from now...

I'll let you know!

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
First.... Sep 10, 2013

Marion Candau wrote:

Thank you for your answer Tom! The agency does not seem to appear on the blue board when I write one of the three key words (best cheap travel), so I will create an entry.
What are the other steps I can take?

You seem to be thinking of trying to contact the webmaster of their website. That will waste your time and will not get you paid.

Getting paid is a process of gradual escalation, and it's important to proceed one step at a time.

So to recap:

1. Create a BB page for the agency
2. Give them a bad rating
3. Tell them
4. If necessary, agree that you will remove the bad rating AFTER they have paid. Give them 7 days.
5. If after 7 days you have not been paid, come back here and report what happened.

P.S. on various occasions, people have tried to get away with not paying me. So far, none of them has succeeded. In the end I have always been paid - in full.

[Edited at 2013-09-10 09:03 GMT]

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
A lesson learned Sep 10, 2013

Unfortunately chances are you have been lied to and won't see a penny for your work. One big thing to remember from now on is that you definitely have to establish the authenticity of the customer's existence and contact information.

A big red flag is the fact that the domain the email comes from is by no means related to the medical field, and clearly it is not a translation agency. This should have been enough a sign that trouble was coming your way if you continued discussing the
... See more
Unfortunately chances are you have been lied to and won't see a penny for your work. One big thing to remember from now on is that you definitely have to establish the authenticity of the customer's existence and contact information.

A big red flag is the fact that the domain the email comes from is by no means related to the medical field, and clearly it is not a translation agency. This should have been enough a sign that trouble was coming your way if you continued discussing the job with the customer.
Collapse

fivexs (X)
fivexs (X)
Ireland
English to Finnish
+ ...
We need more information Dec 8, 2014

Tomás Cano Binder, CT wrote:

A big red flag is the fact that the domain the email comes from is by no means related to the medical field, and clearly it is not a translation agency. This should have been enough a sign that trouble was coming your way if you continued discussing the job with the customer.

We are currently tracking these scammers. If anyone has anything useful information about them etc. Please let us know as we already have a couple of translators joining us for a legal case.

Thanks.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

scam and unpaid translation

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »