LEXpert  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:58
Member (2008)
Croatian to English
+ ...
Aug 7, 2015

Dear colleagues,
I received a spoofed WeTransfer notification from an acquaintance's e-mail. The falsity of the message was readily apparent, from the fact that this person has no reason to send me files that way or otherwise (though actual clients do use WT sometimes), to the bad English, to the fact that the Download link goes somewhere else.

Ultimately a run-of-the-mill spoofing attempt, but the impersonation of WeTransfer seems to be a new one, so, as always, please be car
... See more
Dear colleagues,
I received a spoofed WeTransfer notification from an acquaintance's e-mail. The falsity of the message was readily apparent, from the fact that this person has no reason to send me files that way or otherwise (though actual clients do use WT sometimes), to the bad English, to the fact that the Download link goes somewhere else.

Ultimately a run-of-the-mill spoofing attempt, but the impersonation of WeTransfer seems to be a new one, so, as always, please be careful out there.
Collapse

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 03:58
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
Contact WeTransfer? Aug 7, 2015

As WeTransfer is processed online, the sender may put any sender's e-mail address there. Perhaps it would be worthwhile to advise them, providing the download link. I guess they'd have a way to check the sender's IP, and eventually keep an eye on it.

As the system works, scammers may choke WeTransfer's hard disks full with terabytes of garbage, and spam millions of people who won't block them as spam, because they regularly receive work-related files through WT.

LEXpert
LEXpert  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:58
Member (2008)
Croatian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@Jose Aug 7, 2015

I'm sure that WeTransfer would be interested to know that their name is being misused in this way. However, the spoof appears to bypass WeTransfer and its infrastructure entirely, except to mention it by name. The sender of the e-mail appears to be my friend's (probably hacked) gmail account, and the Download button in the poorly written *fake* notification leads to an unknown website that has nothing to do WT at all. Presumably that is where the mischief will take place once clicked on by the u... See more
I'm sure that WeTransfer would be interested to know that their name is being misused in this way. However, the spoof appears to bypass WeTransfer and its infrastructure entirely, except to mention it by name. The sender of the e-mail appears to be my friend's (probably hacked) gmail account, and the Download button in the poorly written *fake* notification leads to an unknown website that has nothing to do WT at all. Presumably that is where the mischief will take place once clicked on by the unsuspecting user.

Of course, it's certainly possible to actually misuse WT as you describe (I hope hackers aren't reading our posts!), but that doesn't appear to be case here.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Spoofed WeTransfer notification

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »