Thread poster: Tom in London
Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:06
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Aug 7, 2015

Naturally I didn't reply and I didn't click on the link!

"Hi Dear, Greetings, my name is Miss. Felicia Isaac Henry a young medical student. It is my pleasure to contact you for a business partnership venture which I intend to establish in your country. I would like to go into business partnership with you, though I have not met with you face to face before but I believe one has to risk confident in succeed sometimes in life. There is this big amount of money $7.8Million Dollars whi
... See more
Naturally I didn't reply and I didn't click on the link!

"Hi Dear, Greetings, my name is Miss. Felicia Isaac Henry a young medical student. It is my pleasure to contact you for a business partnership venture which I intend to establish in your country. I would like to go into business partnership with you, though I have not met with you face to face before but I believe one has to risk confident in succeed sometimes in life. There is this big amount of money $7.8Million Dollars which my beloved late Father deposited on my name in the suspense account with one Bank before he's death. My father Mr. Issac Henry was poisoned by his brother who capitalized on the fact that my father has no male child to inherit his wealth, my mother died when I was only 2years old. Now I want you to help me claim the money from the Bank here and transfer it into your personal account in your country for investment purposes. Now, since the money is deposited in the suspense account I don't have access to the fund until it's been transferred out from my late father's account, that is why I am contacting you to assists me and see that the Bank here in my country transfer the money into your personal or business account for me to leave this country and meet you over there, to continue my education and the investments. If you can render your sincere assistance to me, I will be pleased to offer you 30% of the total funds as compensation for your effort / input after the successful transfer of this money into your nominated account overseas and again we are going to invest money together and share whatever profit we make together as partners, please kindly reply me immediately if you are willing to assist me transfer and invest the money in your country I am waiting for your soonest response before end of today for more details. reply me here email ------- Thank you for your wiliness to help me and God bless you Yours Sincerely Miss. Felicia Henry "
Collapse

Jennifer Forbes
Jennifer Forbes  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Ha ha! Aug 7, 2015

I heard from poor Felicia too. Sent it to Proz's spam link. Are we getting more of these scam messages because of the API business, I wonder?

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Happy Aug 7, 2015

Jenny Forbes wrote:

I heard from poor Felicia too. Sent it to Proz's spam link. Are we getting more of these scam messages because of the API business, I wonder?

I think Felicia and I are going to find happiness together.

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 14:06
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

SITE LOCALIZER
Blocked already Aug 7, 2015

Subj.

Natalia

Jennifer Forbes
Jennifer Forbes  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Auguri Aug 7, 2015

Tom in London wrote:

Jenny Forbes wrote:

What bliss!

Merab Dekano
Merab Dekano  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2014)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Skype Aug 7, 2015

In my case it was Dr. watever (I don't remember the name) with a picture of a dressed up male subject/character, and the sum was way larger. Blocked.

[Edited at 2015-08-07 14:57 GMT]

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Congrats! Aug 7, 2015

Tom in London wrote:

Jenny Forbes wrote:

I hope you're not going to quit freelancing, now that you're a millionaire.

It's been a while since I've last received this tear-jerking financial bait. Looks like they're back, under whatever name they might wish to choose. Nigerian IP?

DLyons
DLyons  Identity Verified
Ireland
Spanish to English
+ ...
Way below the going rate! Aug 7, 2015

You should ask for 60% and negotiate down to 50-55% (after all, this is a business venture).

Michael Newton
Michael Newton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:06
Japanese to English
+ ...
Funds deposit scam Aug 7, 2015

Apparently "Felicia" is a Nigerian name.

GHANIA Khalifa
GHANIA Khalifa  Identity Verified
Algeria
Arabic to English
+ ...
Tragedy Aug 7, 2015

Felicia\'s Tragedy.
Better to have then to wish.
no bees no honey no work no money.

Jeff Whittaker
Jeff Whittaker  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:06
Spanish to English
+ ...
The amazing thing is that people still fall for this scam... Aug 8, 2015

... even this heart surgeon who lost 340,000 to the scammers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LROPHHonDlo

[Edited at 2015-08-08 03:48 GMT]

Yasutomo Kanazawa
Yasutomo Kanazawa  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 21:06
Member (2005)
English to Japanese
+ ...
Nigerian Scam Part XIII Aug 8, 2015

Coming soon to a theater nearby you!

Tom, I personally recommend you to direct, produce (since you\'ve got the money to do so) and even play the main character for this series.

Tom in London wrote:

Jenny Forbes wrote:

I heard from poor Felicia too. Sent it to Proz\'s spam link. Are we getting more of these scam messages because of the API business, I wonder?

Oliver Walter
Oliver Walter  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
And a car Aug 8, 2015

Michael Newton wrote:
Apparently \"Felicia\" is a Nigerian name.
Not only: my previous car was a Felicia (made by Skoda).
Oliver

Oliver Walter
Oliver Walter  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
I receive about 2 per year Aug 8, 2015

This is a symptom of what I think must be the case: once you are in one (or more) of the lists of email addresses used by spammers, you`re likely to remain on those lists, even if you never reply to the spam/phishing emails. Since I'm sure I have no viruses or 'trojan horses' on my computer, I think I must be on some of these lists as a result of some malware of this type on the computer of somebody else who has my email address in their address book.
I'm sure I recognise all these spam a
... See more
This is a symptom of what I think must be the case: once you are in one (or more) of the lists of email addresses used by spammers, you`re likely to remain on those lists, even if you never reply to the spam/phishing emails. Since I'm sure I have no viruses or 'trojan horses' on my computer, I think I must be on some of these lists as a result of some malware of this type on the computer of somebody else who has my email address in their address book.
I'm sure I recognise all these spam and phishing emails without difficulty. Your first reaction to any email you receive must be to ask "Is it genuine?" - even if it appears to come from somebody you know.
The following is an obvious attempted fraud, roughly similar to Tom's. I received it in Feb this year (The Subject was "Good day,"):
---------- start of quoted email -----------
Good day,

Hope all is well with you and your family.

I am Mr Tete Ahmed. Accountant by profession, I'm 48yrs old, working at the office of Auditing and accounting Department of Bank of Africa (BOA).I'm married with two children. My residence address no: 18 avenue de la Charles Degaulle sect: 21. Box Postal: 01 bp 5256 Ouagadougou Burkina Faso . I want you to handle this business transaction with me if chance to do international business.

I got your contact from a reliable web directory.
We are imposition to reclaim and inherit the sum of US$10, million without any trouble, from a dormant account which remains unclaimed since 11 years the owner died. This is a U.S Dollar’s account and the beneficiary died without trace of his family to claim the fund and no next of kin.

If interested to do this business with me without betray I will give you more details of the transfer.

Thanks
Mr Tete Ahmed
--------- end of quoted email -----------
The "reply" address was a gmail address, but by analysing the email header, I think it came from a Yahoo server in Taiwan - in any case I doubt whether there's any real Burkina Faso connection.

The previous one I received (last December) was (it claimed) from a Mrs Margaret Lewis, with the subject "Dear beloved", who, of course, has no children and whose husband died in Thailand, leaving 7.5 million dollars. She wanted to find somebody "who will use this money to fund churches, orphanages and widows propagating the word of God and to ensure that the house of God is maintained.". This email's "from" address was a ".com" address actually in Singapore, but the "reply to" address was a ".th" address in Thailand.

Yes, I keep a few of these emails as "museum exhibits" for occasions such as today.

[Edited at 2015-08-08 11:10 GMT]
Collapse

George Hopkins
George Hopkins
Swedish to English
One born every minute Aug 8, 2015

An elderly acquaintance asked if I could help her with correspondence per email regarding a considerable inheritance from the U.S.A. Her English is not very good and she was in need of support. It was obviously an ongoing scam but she was convinced that there was a pot of gold for her over there. I mentioned that it was a trick but she wasn’t listening, not even when a request came for her to send a fairly large sum of money to enable ’their messenger’ delayed in London to continue his jou... See more
An elderly acquaintance asked if I could help her with correspondence per email regarding a considerable inheritance from the U.S.A. Her English is not very good and she was in need of support. It was obviously an ongoing scam but she was convinced that there was a pot of gold for her over there. I mentioned that it was a trick but she wasn’t listening, not even when a request came for her to send a fairly large sum of money to enable ’their messenger’ delayed in London to continue his journey to Sweden with a substantial portion of the said inheritance. My advice to her was to engage her bank to deal with the matter and under no circumstances to open her purse. She didn’t follow my advice and has since gone silent.Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

This one made me laugh

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »