FRAUD: Maxence David
Thread poster: Roni_S
Roni_S
Roni_S  Identity Verified
Slovakia
Local time: 12:26
Slovak to English
Nov 13, 2015

Has anyone recieved a mail from this person [[email protected]], claiming that your transaction has been confirmed from Spilo Worldwide; in my case the amount is $5,256,51. Apart from the obvious, the error in the dollar amount, I mean the error in commas and decimal points, it's award-winning.

Has anyone actually ever found out what the purpose of these frauders is?

Kevin Fulton
Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:26
German to English
Could be money laundering Nov 13, 2015

Back in the mid-1990s I used to get e-mail with "business opportunities" from places like Russia, Moldova, etc. whereby I would receive funds (allegedly as wire transfers) and once the funds cleared, I would remit the money to a third party, keeping a small commission for myself. A banker suggested that this was probably a money laundering operation, as the sums were considerable. At any rate, I was never tempted.

Woodstock (X)
Woodstock (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
No, there are so many different ones now Nov 13, 2015

Not sure what this one is about, but Kevin could well be right. Why not be proactive and contact the company directly to try to find out? If a company's name is being used for fraud, they often know about it - and sometimes post warnings on their website.
http://spilo.com/
The URL looks odd, but it worked for me.

[Edited at 2015-11-13 20:03 GMT]

Susana E. Cano Méndez
Susana E. Cano Méndez  Identity Verified
Spain
French to Spanish
+ ...
"Advance payment" scam? Nov 14, 2015

It could be an "advance payment" scam. Maybe they are planning to ask you for the money paid by mistake, for instance.

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 11:26
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
I've just found this: Nov 14, 2015

http://myonlinesecurity.co.uk/transaction-and-payment-confirmation-from-spilo-worldwide-word-doc-malware/

Susana E. Cano Méndez
Susana E. Cano Méndez  Identity Verified
Spain
French to Spanish
+ ...
OMG Nov 14, 2015

Wow... We are really targeted. Thanks, Teresa.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

FRAUD: Maxence David

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »