Hugues Roumier
France
Local time: 19:03
Member (2020)
English to French
+ ...
Jun 19, 2021

Hi there!

I'm working as a translator for more than 6 years, but I still haven't figured out a really thorough method to make sure that an offer is genuine or not. I mainly work for agencies, which make things easier for me since they have a legal status etc. Today I received an interesting offer, 21k words, fair price etc. The thing is that this offer is from a private person, and this is what he's offering me (I found the wording quite suspicious):

"To make this easi
... See more
Hi there!

I'm working as a translator for more than 6 years, but I still haven't figured out a really thorough method to make sure that an offer is genuine or not. I mainly work for agencies, which make things easier for me since they have a legal status etc. Today I received an interesting offer, 21k words, fair price etc. The thing is that this offer is from a private person, and this is what he's offering me (I found the wording quite suspicious):

"To make this easier for both parties, you will receive a 50% deposit upfront to start and the balance upon completion of the project. If this works for you, kindly get back to me with the details below so that the payment can be facilitated via wire transfer / or by check as soon as possible."

Isn't it unusual and a bit peculiar?

Thank you for your attention,

H.R
Collapse

Peter Shortall
Peter Shortall  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Romanian to English
+ ...
Déjà vu Jun 19, 2021

Hugues Roumier wrote:

"To make this easier for both parties, you will receive a 50% deposit upfront to start and the balance upon completion of the project. If this works for you, kindly get back to me with the details below so that the payment can be facilitated via wire transfer / or by check as soon as possible."

Take a look at this old (June 2020) post by Marga Kiewied. I think you will recognise the wording!

https://www.proz.com/forum/scams/340208-research_project_on_agricultural_reforms_in_eu_translation_scam_marie_stephens-page4.html

The same wording was used here, as quoted by Carol Carol in her post of 19 March:

https://www.proz.com/forum/scams/325661-this_sounds_a_bit_fishy_cashier_check_or_bank_certified_check_proposed_for_payment-page3.html#2878486

Either you're dealing with the same scammer, or these scammers are colluding and using the same "script".

As for a thorough method to check whether an offer is genuine, this is the method I used: I simply took part of the above phrase written by your "client", put it in inverted commas, and Googled it. There's your method!

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Barbara Carrara
Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei
Philippe Etienne
Nayoung Jin

Adam Dickinson
Adam Dickinson  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 13:03
Member (2016)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Very likely a scam Jun 19, 2021

What the person is suggesting is likely the lead-in to an advance payment scam. The idea is that they'll send you a check for 50% but it will be much higher than the amount agreed. You deposit it, send back the excess, and then your bank will advise you that the check was a fake and remove the funds from your account - though you've already sent them the excess (real) money from your own account.

This has been discussed many times o
... See more
What the person is suggesting is likely the lead-in to an advance payment scam. The idea is that they'll send you a check for 50% but it will be much higher than the amount agreed. You deposit it, send back the excess, and then your bank will advise you that the check was a fake and remove the funds from your account - though you've already sent them the excess (real) money from your own account.

This has been discussed many times on these forums; here are a few links:
https://www.proz.com/forum/scams/344065-scam_german_to_english_climate_change_in_coastal_marine_systems.html
https://www.proz.com/forum/scams/337552-scam_public_organization_procedures_research_phase_1_and_2.html
https://www.proz.com/forum/scams/205040-translation_job_with_50_advance_payment_check_and_more_than_a_month_to_translate_is_this_a_scam.html
https://www.proz.com/forum/scams/332882-scam_advance_payment_for_a_large_project_marie_duncan.html
https://www.proz.com/forum/scams/292024-warning_advanced_payment_scam.html
Collapse

Josephine Cassar
Philippe Etienne
Nayoung Jin

Hugues Roumier
Hugues Roumier
France
Member (2020)
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Jun 19, 2021

Thanks, I guess I should have spent more time poking around this forum before posting

Tina Vonhof (X)
Tina Vonhof (X)
Canada
Local time: 11:03
Dutch to English
+ ...
Daily Jun 19, 2021

Hugues Roumier wrote:

Thanks, I guess I should have spent more time poking around this forum before posting

Off topic: I check the forums and kudoz every day, first thing after checking my emails. It is my way of warming up before going to work and I never miss important warnings like this.

Kay-Viktor Stegemann
P.L.F. Persio
Kevin Fulton
Philippe Etienne
Nayoung Jin

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 18:03
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
@Hugues Jun 19, 2021

Some tips to avoid being scammed:

1. Google the person's email address and/or name, along with the word "scam".
2. Google the title or better still a part of the document you’re supposed to translate
3. Visit the Translator Scam Centre on this site
4. Check the Blue Board on this site
5. Check the Translator Scammers Directory
6. Check the Hall of Fame and Shame Forum (another translator’s platform)
7. Check the Translation Ethics site
... See more
Some tips to avoid being scammed:

1. Google the person's email address and/or name, along with the word "scam".
2. Google the title or better still a part of the document you’re supposed to translate
3. Visit the Translator Scam Centre on this site
4. Check the Blue Board on this site
5. Check the Translator Scammers Directory
6. Check the Hall of Fame and Shame Forum (another translator’s platform)
7. Check the Translation Ethics site
8. Check the Payment Practices site
9. Check the Naming and Shaming group on Linkedin
10. Check Translation Agencies Good, Bad and Cheap also on LinkedIn
(…)
Collapse

Laurent Di Raimondo
P.L.F. Persio
Kevin Fulton
Josephine Cassar
Philippe Etienne

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 20:03
English to Russian
T/T in advance Jun 19, 2021

Just propose them to pay in advance. If they are reluctant to pay 100% upfront, ok, suggest that they pay in 10% to 30% installments. They pay 10%, you translate and hand over 10%, they pay next 10%, you translate and hand over next 10%, and so on. Can't be easier.

Kay-Viktor Stegemann
Kay-Viktor Stegemann
Germany
English to German
In memoriam
Check=scam. Unbidden deposit/upfront payment=scam. Jun 19, 2021

A person that even mentions a check when discussing payment should be considered a scammer per default. No sane person accepts a check from an unknown client.

Also, the fact that this person offers a deposit/upfront payment without being asked to do so is extremely suspicious. Actually, any client that shows more interest in the payment process than in the actual translation project is extremely suspicious.

Michele Fauble
Laurent Di Raimondo
Beatriz Ramírez de Haro
Stepan Konev
Adieu
P.L.F. Persio

Laurent Di Raimondo
Laurent Di Raimondo  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Translator job is not always a bed of roses... Jun 19, 2021

This offer looks a bit suspicious indeed for the main reason that it's more usual for translators to ask for an upfront payment before starting working on a project coming from a unknown private client, not the contrary...

But even though you accept to receive an upfront payment by bank transfer, bear in mind that this transfer can be canceled and withdrawn by the client at any moment within the following days the money comes into your bank account. In that respect, payment by check
... See more
This offer looks a bit suspicious indeed for the main reason that it's more usual for translators to ask for an upfront payment before starting working on a project coming from a unknown private client, not the contrary...

But even though you accept to receive an upfront payment by bank transfer, bear in mind that this transfer can be canceled and withdrawn by the client at any moment within the following days the money comes into your bank account. In that respect, payment by check seems to be more secured, provided that you wait for the amount to be credited into your bank account.

Even though this offer surely sounds (financialy speaking) interesting in terms of words count, it nevertheless deserves to be double-checked regarding this client's credentials and bona fide, as Teresa suggested before.

Translator job is not always a bed of roses...

[Modifié le 2021-06-19 19:49 GMT]
Collapse

Kay-Viktor Stegemann
Kay-Viktor Stegemann
Germany
English to German
In memoriam
"Credited" checks are NOT safe Jun 19, 2021

Laurent Di Raimondo wrote:
But even though you accept to receive an upfront payment by bank transfer, bear in mind that this transfer can be canceled and withdrawn by the client at any moment within the following days the money comes into your bank account. In that respect, payment by check seems to be more secured, provided that you wait for the amount to be credited into your bank account.

Oh no. Please don't mislead here. A check will be "credited" to your account quite soon, i. e. the amount will appear on your bank statement. But that does not mean that there is any security in this. The bank will simply "credit" the check without even looking at it, let alone do any security checks. Then the check will move at a snail's pace through the banking system and even months later the check can bounce, when it (allegedly) came from a bank from another part of the world and someone in the system finally declares it fraudulent, stolen, or forged. And you will not only lose the money again (after months!) but also pay a hefty fine for depositing a bad check.

That's why it is still so easy to scam people with checks. Never, under no circumstance, accept a check from an unknown person.

Beatriz Ramírez de Haro
Adieu
Michele Fauble
P.L.F. Persio
Nayoung Jin
Tanja Oresnik

Laurent Di Raimondo
Laurent Di Raimondo  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Right! Jun 20, 2021

Kay-Viktor Stegemann wrote:

A check will be "credited" to your account quite soon, i. e. the amount will appear on your bank statement. But that does not mean that there is any security in this. The bank will simply "credit" the check without even looking at it, let alone do any security checks. Then the check will move at a snail's pace through the banking system and even months later the check can bounce, when it (allegedly) came from a bank from another part of the world and someone in the system finally declares it fraudulent, stolen, or forged. And you will not only lose the money again (after months!) but also pay a hefty fine for depositing a bad check.

You’re completely right, Kay-Victor. I didn’t consider such a bad scenario indeed. It didn’t cross my mind to accept a check from an unknown client either.

I rather had in mind and was speaking of a certified check issued by the client’s bank, which is totally secured and guaranteed.

Sorry for the misunderstanding...

[Modifié le 2021-06-20 06:11 GMT]

Hugues Roumier
Hugues Roumier
France
Member (2020)
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
all's well that ends well Jun 20, 2021

I replied to the scammer by giving my conditions (among others - I will never under any circumstances send back any extra amount mistakenly transferred from his side - I require an ID proof etc.), and he literally disappeared, no news since then. I think we have a final confirmation! Moreover, the text he used is actually well known to be a scam.

Thanks for your attention & tips!

Kay-Viktor Stegemann
Kay-Viktor Stegemann
Germany
English to German
In memoriam
That "certified" stuff can be misleading as well Jun 20, 2021

Laurent Di Raimondo wrote:
I rather had in mind and was speaking of a certified check issued by the client’s bank, which is totally secured and guaranteed.

I think that even this is not correct. I'm not sure about this since certified checks are illegal in Germany. Anyway, this "certification" can be easily forged, and the forgery is not easy to see for the translator. Scammers will obviously use forged certified checks or stolen checks with a forged certification, so that you are back to square one and can get scammed and ripped off at will. Even if you give this check to your bank clerk next door, they will not be able to see through the forgery since they are not forensic scientists. And most people are banking online today anyway.

And what you said earlier about bank transfers also needs clarification. Bank transfers within the SEPA system (which covers most of Europe) can not be cancelled/withdrawn by the payer, at least not against the will of the receiver. That's one of the features of the SEPA system.

I would therefore always prefer a bank transfer. When I see the money in my account from a SEPA bank transfer, I am safe. When I see the money in my account from a check of any sort, I see an illusion, for all practical purposes.

Adieu

Adieu
Adieu  Identity Verified
Ukrainian to English
+ ...
In short Jun 20, 2021

Checks are archaic 19th century crap. Vendor beware!

Robert Forstag
Robert Forstag  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:03
Spanish to English
+ ...
Do not reply Jun 20, 2021

Hugues Roumier wrote:

I replied to the scammer by giving my conditions (among others - I will never under any circumstances send back any extra amount mistakenly transferred from his side - I require an ID proof etc.), and he literally disappeared, no news since then. I think we have a final confirmation! Moreover, the text he used is actually well known to be a scam.

Thanks for your attention & tips!

Hi Hugues,

Once you have determined that the person you are dealing with is a scammer - why would you bother continue corresponding with them? This does not make sense, for it simply gives them another opportunity to continue trying to scam you.

They might even backpedal and agree to send you payment in full for the job in advance via Western Union (so that you think, “Oh, great. They are totally legit!”) only to tell you at the last minute that for some reason, they could not make the transfer (maybe because the only Western Union kiosk in their town was offline) and then go back to the idea of sending you a check. Or perhaps they will try to soften you up with a story of a sick or dying relative.

(By the way, I have personally experienced both such tactics.)

No, when you are convinced you are dealing with a scammer - stop communicating, period.

Eventually, you should get to the point where you recognize a scam within 10 seconds of beginning to read a message - and simply move on.

[Edited at 2021-06-21 12:31 GMT]

Peter Shortall
Michele Fauble

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Looking for tips to make sure an offer is genuine

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »