Aleksey Gilyov
Aleksey Gilyov  Identity Verified
Bulgaria
Local time: 20:19
English to Russian
+ ...
Jun 21, 2021

Hello all!

Some of you might have faced similar scam from China, but I thought I would nevertheless post it here to make sure those of you with basic knowledge of IT technologies don't get trapped.

These clever fellas (Wang Yong in my case) "want access Upwork accounts via Google Chrome installed on your computer via TeamViewer link because China "blocks" Chrome". For this, they are ready to pay 100$/month.

What worries me is that he said he found my profil
... See more
Hello all!

Some of you might have faced similar scam from China, but I thought I would nevertheless post it here to make sure those of you with basic knowledge of IT technologies don't get trapped.

These clever fellas (Wang Yong in my case) "want access Upwork accounts via Google Chrome installed on your computer via TeamViewer link because China "blocks" Chrome". For this, they are ready to pay 100$/month.

What worries me is that he said he found my profile here at proz.com.

Obviously, I realised this is scam, just decided to have fun and tease this pointy-head a little

Take care!

IMG_2071
IMG_2072
IMG_2073
IMG_2074
IMG_2075
IMG_2076
IMG_2077
IMG_2078
IMG_2079
IMG_2238
IMG_2239
IMG_2240
IMG_2241
IMG_2242
IMG_2243
IMG_2244
IMG_2245
IMG_2246
IMG_2247
IMG_2248
IMG_2249
Collapse

Liviu-Lee Roth
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida

Arianne Farah
Arianne Farah  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 13:19
Member (2008)
English to French
Shameless! Jun 21, 2021

The gall of that guy! That's a new scam, hopefully no one will give full access to their computer and identity...

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida

Aleksey Gilyov
Bulgaria
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Inventors! Jun 21, 2021

Well, it appears they've started all this back in 2018. It just came up to me. Wanna try to shake some dosh off him

LIZ LI
LIZ LI  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 01:19
French to Chinese
+ ...
Using Chrome to reply within China Jun 22, 2021

Have to admit it's a creative one!
A VPN to deblock all those costs less than $5 a month, it's so genius to pay for *20.

By the way, nice level of English & much above average in China!
He would definitely have been a talented translator!

Aleksey Gilyov
Bulgaria
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Chrome in China?! Jun 22, 2021

OMG, so it's working?! Must tell this guy, he might be suffering because of lack of this knowledge. Poor boy!

LIZ LI

William Bowley
William Bowley
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:19
Spanish to English
+ ...
Not new Jun 25, 2021

I saw this years ago, I was sent the same first few messages (though I never gave them a reply).

What sort of respectable cyber criminal is happy "paying" you 100-200 bucks and engage in illegal activity yet finds out that 'Upwork policy don't allow VPN' and follows that to the letter?

Aleksey Gilyov
Bulgaria
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Not new, but evolving Jun 25, 2021

Poor guys... but law-abiding. Trying to invent new schemes to survive. Give less - take more.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Upwork Scam from China

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »