Possible Scam translation project from Florida.
Thread poster: yugoslavia
yugoslavia
yugoslavia
United States
Local time: 12:43
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jul 31, 2021

Dear colleagues from Proz.com,

I hope you are well.

I’m writing to you because I received an email message around three days ago offering me a Spanish translation project from Florida. The name of the person is Travis Nickerson.

I’m suspecting that this email message could be a scam. I will be glad to copy and paste the copy of the email messages for you. I want to verify if the email message is legitimate or if someone is trying to do a scam to me.
... See more

I hope you are well.

I’m writing to you because I received an email message around three days ago offering me a Spanish translation project from Florida. The name of the person is Travis Nickerson.

I’m suspecting that this email message could be a scam. I will be glad to copy and paste the copy of the email messages for you. I want to verify if the email message is legitimate or if someone is trying to do a scam to me.

Here is the copy of the message:

"""Hello, can you translate a project from English to Spanish?""

Thanks for your help and cooperation, Spanish native speakers, feel free to write to me in Spanish.
Best regards,
Yugoslavia
Collapse

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 17:43
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
@Yugoslavia Aug 2, 2021

Just from that sentence I can’t figure out if it’s a scam or not, but as the old saying goes “If it walks and quacks like a duck, it probably is a duck”. So, trust your sixth sense…

Kevin Fulton
Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
United States
German to English
Possibly a scam Aug 2, 2021

Bare bones queries are basically meaningless. Generally not addressed to you specifically, they provide no information about the source of the offer or the topic. Scam or not, I don't think offers like this are worth pursuing.

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Liviu-Lee Roth
Jorge Payan

yugoslavia
yugoslavia
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for your help Miss Borges and Mr. Fulton Aug 2, 2021

Thanks for your reply. I checked the IP address of the sender and this IP address shows that he is located in Florida but he is telling me that he is located in California.

Thanks.
Yugoslavia

Yuxuan Zhang
Yuxuan Zhang
Australia
Local time: 02:43
English to Mandarin Chinese
Ask for more information Aug 7, 2021

If people send me this kind of query, I probably would contact them back for more details about the project and their purpose for translating this project. The more information you have the more rationally you can decide whether to do this job or not. We don't want to put ourselves at any risk but don't miss any chance to earn money.

Farshad Sadoughian

Edward Potter
Edward Potter  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 18:43
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Check them out Aug 8, 2021

yugoslavia wrote:

I hope you are well.

Here is the copy of the message:

"""Hello, can you translate a project from English to Spanish?""

Thanks for your help and cooperation, Spanish native speakers, feel free to write to me in Spanish.
Best regards,
Yugoslavia

First, check the email address on translator-scammers.com.

Second, give them a voice call. If you cannot contact them by voice, there is a strong possibility it is a scammer.

yugoslavia
yugoslavia
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Miss Wang and Mr. Potter. Aug 8, 2021

Hi Miss Zhang and Mr. Potter,
I hope you are doing well in Australia and also in Spain. I hope that you are safe from this Coronavirus.
I'm sorry about the delay responding to your message. I have been recovering from a cold. He basically sent me a message offering me a translation project. He told me that he was writing me from California. I checked his IP address and I got the surprise that he is located in Florida. I think he lied to me about his location. He sent me a picture of
... See more
Hi Miss Zhang and Mr. Potter,
I hope you are doing well in Australia and also in Spain. I hope that you are safe from this Coronavirus.
I'm sorry about the delay responding to your message. I have been recovering from a cold. He basically sent me a message offering me a translation project. He told me that he was writing me from California. I checked his IP address and I got the surprise that he is located in Florida. I think he lied to me about his location. He sent me a picture of his US Driver license but I think is probably safe.

Please let me know what you think. I hope that both of you are safe and healthy.

Let me know your thoughts.
Yugoslavia
Collapse

Edward Potter
Edward Potter  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 18:43
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Not enough for me Aug 9, 2021

yugoslavia wrote:

He told me that he was writing me from California. I checked his IP address and I got the surprise that he is located in Florida. I think he lied to me about his location. He sent me a picture of his US Driver license but I think is probably safe.

Please let me know what you think.

Yugoslavia

The drivers license is not enough for me. I need voice contact and a strong online presence with posted reviews from other providers.

If I don't get these two things at a minimum I require some up-front payment.

Why haven't you called them yet?

Kevin Fulton

Kevin Fulton
Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
United States
German to English
VPN Aug 9, 2021

yugoslavia wrote:

. I checked his IP address and I got the surprise that he is located in Florida. I think he lied to me about his location. .
Yugoslavia

Although I live in the greater Detroit area, my IP address can vary, since I use a virtual private network. Depending on which national television network I have most recently accessed, my IP address can range from Germany to Canada as well as random American locations.

Liviu-Lee Roth

yugoslavia
yugoslavia
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks a lot. Aug 10, 2021

Hi Mr. Fulton and Mr. Potter,
I have just got your messages. I was very busy working in a project and I had also a bad headache.

Thanks for letting me know and for your feedback. He has not replied to my last message so he was probably a scammer. I have been waiting for around 3 days.

Thanks again.
Yugoslavia

yugoslavia
yugoslavia
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Driver license picture. Aug 10, 2021

Hi,
I forgot to tell you. The person who contacted me for this translation project sent me a picture of his driver license but I think the picture is fake. Please send me a message. I will be glad to share this so other people don't get scammed. I think the person is a scammer.
Yugoslavia

Renee Wulf
Renee Wulf
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
Organic Farming Translation Jan 25, 2022

Yesterday, January 24, 2022 I received an translation request for the Organic Farming mentioned here, and also from a Travis Nickerson. I am so glad I found this thread of information regarding scamming! I guess all new freelance translators and those connected with an account with ProZ will receive his requests. I think he is definitely making the rounds!

Liviu-Lee Roth
John Hayes

yugoslavia
yugoslavia
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Renee. Jan 26, 2022

Hi Renee,
I hope you are doing well. Thanks for letting me know. I appreciate your message. I think he contacted me again around one week ago but I ignored the message.
Happy New Year 2022 and thanks for informing us.
Yugoslavia

John Hayes
John Hayes  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:43
German to English
Travis thinks I'm qualified too.... Jan 30, 2022

No questions asked. He's ready to transfer funds, too, but not using any 21st-century means.

Don't trust Travis. He want me to translate the same book from EN to DE, but simply does not sound legitimate. and this forum proves my hunch! Thank you to all of you who posted!

yugoslavia
yugoslavia
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks John Jan 30, 2022

Thanks John. He is very bad. He is even emailing a picture of a fake driver license to deceive translators who are looking for work.

He sent me his driver license picture.

Thanks.

Yugoslavia

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Possible Scam translation project from Florida.

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »