RHaeusermann
RHaeusermann  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:03
Member (2012)
German to English
+ ...
Jan 29, 2022

I received a job inquiry through ProZ from [email protected], posing as Kelli VanDeman at Permier Packaging. I sent "her" (some dude in Nigeria) a quote of USD 509.12. "She" then sent a fake or home-made cashier's check in the amount of USD 3509.12. The scam goes like this: My bank will cash the check, the customer then wants USD 3000 returned to them (the overpaid amount), which the victim would ... See more
I received a job inquiry through ProZ from [email protected], posing as Kelli VanDeman at Permier Packaging. I sent "her" (some dude in Nigeria) a quote of USD 509.12. "She" then sent a fake or home-made cashier's check in the amount of USD 3509.12. The scam goes like this: My bank will cash the check, the customer then wants USD 3000 returned to them (the overpaid amount), which the victim would send because the bank cashed the check, then 2 weeks from now the bank will figure out that the check is a fake and want their money back, i.e., the victim is out of 3k.

Don't fall for it!
Collapse

Elena Kaverzneva

writeaway
writeaway  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
One of the oldest scams out there Jan 29, 2022

Check previous postings about this scam. It's been around for years.

Walter Landesman
Liviu-Lee Roth
Jorge Payan
Philip Lees
P.L.F. Persio
Philippe Etienne
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida

Barbara Carrara
Barbara Carrara  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 18:03
Member (2008)
English to Italian
+ ...
Link to a related thread Jan 29, 2022

Here's the link to a thread about the same scammers who got in touch with you.

https://www.proz.com/forum/scams/355663-an_advanced_form_of_scam_i_almost_fell_for_last_week.html

As writeaway already pointed out, all of us ought to be aware of these scams and scammers in general by now, given that they've been at it
... See more
Here's the link to a thread about the same scammers who got in touch with you.

https://www.proz.com/forum/scams/355663-an_advanced_form_of_scam_i_almost_fell_for_last_week.html

As writeaway already pointed out, all of us ought to be aware of these scams and scammers in general by now, given that they've been at it for quite a while. That's why I find it hard to believe you took the time to engage with them.
Collapse

writeaway

finnword1
finnword1
United States
Local time: 12:03
English to Finnish
+ ...
Cashier's check? Jan 30, 2022

I have translated for a long time, and NOBODY has ever paid me using a cashier's check.

Liviu-Lee Roth
Edward Potter

Carlos Gomez
Carlos Gomez
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
Cashier's Check: Translator! Sep 23, 2022

Hi all,

I was looking in here to find out more about "Cashier's Check" scams; I think I may have encountered one and by the looks of it, it is an old one. I received a job inquiry from someone who visited this site recently and the email exchange that followed was similar to what is being discussed here. After talking with a few folks about how fishy this seemed, they quickly suggested I decline the job. Looks like you all feel the same way bout it too. Cashier's Check is too risky
... See more
Hi all,

I was looking in here to find out more about "Cashier's Check" scams; I think I may have encountered one and by the looks of it, it is an old one. I received a job inquiry from someone who visited this site recently and the email exchange that followed was similar to what is being discussed here. After talking with a few folks about how fishy this seemed, they quickly suggested I decline the job. Looks like you all feel the same way bout it too. Cashier's Check is too risky!

Thanks for the posts and valuable info. I appreciate it.
Collapse

Paweł Hamerski
Paweł Hamerski
Poland
Local time: 18:03
English to Polish
+ ...
I will always accept cashier's check Sep 26, 2022

as it costs the scammer to send it. I encourage you to do the same

Liviu-Lee Roth

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Cashier's check scam alert through ProZ job

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »