Sedat Limani  Identity Verified
Albania
Local time: 17:42
Member (2008)
English to Albanian
+ ...
Jan 31, 2022

Dear colleagues,

Please be aware of new scammer called Paul Smith Green Translation which is emailing to translators with following message:

Hello,nice to meet you. I saw your profile on proz, My name is Smith Paul,we are an UK- based translation company We are proceeding an English into polish And a polish into English translation projects now, can do the attached file? The same rate is 0.07 euro. There has 14000 words in the file, The deadline is 4th February. I'm w
... See more
Dear colleagues,

Please be aware of new scammer called Paul Smith Green Translation which is emailing to translators with following message:

Hello,nice to meet you. I saw your profile on proz, My name is Smith Paul,we are an UK- based translation company We are proceeding an English into polish And a polish into English translation projects now, can do the attached file? The same rate is 0.07 euro. There has 14000 words in the file, The deadline is 4th February. I'm waiting for a response. Thank you
[email protected]
Talk to me through Skype, search my skype IDaul Smith greentranslations
What'sapp: +447845998628
Thank you very much
Smith Paul
[email protected]
Green translations LTD.
Project Manager
+447845998628
Green translations LTD.
An ISO 9001:2008 Certified Company
Address: 39 Lamlash PI Motherwell ML1 3NE, United Kingdom
TEL: +447845998628
What'sapp: +447845998628
skype IDaul Smith greentranslations
Email : [email protected]

I did not reply to their email nor filled any forms but I chatted little with them on Skype and they request to do following:

Have you ever used oneforma system, The total volume is more than 1 million words, We are looking for several polish translators,our project will last to the end of next month, 0.07 euro,Our payday is 30th March, Paypal, payoneer and bank transfer are acceptable.

https://desk.oneforma.com
id:[email protected]
PW:1Qaz2wsx  
We work on this platform. Would you please logging by given ID and have a  Simple look of the task

Watch out and do not register. Please please block and report them immediately!

Thanks
Collapse

Dalia Nour

Barbara Carrara
Barbara Carrara  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2008)
English to Italian
+ ...
Things don't seem to add up Feb 3, 2022

Sedat,

The title of your post is,

'Watch our for a Scammer Dennis Spears [email protected] '

But then, you always refer to a

Paul Smith Green Translation

Or a 'Smith Paul' (!?)
Are you referring to two separate occurrences?

Most scammers are easily identified because of their poor English, and the one you've received is no different,

Hello,nice to meet you. I saw your profile on proz, My name is Smith Paul,we are an UK- based translation company We are proceeding an English into polish And a polish into English translation projects now, can do the attached file? The same rate is 0.07 euro. There has 14000 words in the file, The deadline is 4th February. I'm waiting for a response.

For 'an' UK-based company, their English reads like MT output.

Also, why would they contact you - an Albanian/Serbian native - to translate into and out of Polish, a language you do not offer, according to your profile page?

Other red flags,
- the domain provided does not exist
- this 'individual's' Skype is indicated as
IDaul Smith greentranslations
(how professional is that?)
- if you search the address provided in Google Maps, you'll find yourself in an environment I would not quite associate with a successful (?!) business
- their oneforma id includes 'poland5' (!?!) and a Chinese website (126.com)

As someone who's been around for a while, and a ProZ member since 2008, I am surprised you thought this was legit and even engaged with them.
With all those glaring alarm bells, the message should have been moved to the trash straight away.

Keep your eyes peeled, people!

Edited to add a sentence.

[Edited at 2022-02-03 07:23 GMT]

[Edited at 2022-02-03 07:24 GMT]

Baran Keki
Walter Landesman
Liviu-Lee Roth
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
P.L.F. Persio
expressisverbis
Henrique Mariotto

Anna A. K.
Anna A. K.  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2020)
English to German
Email Feb 3, 2022

If their email has [email protected] or [email protected] ending I would never reply. No prefessional agency would use these.

Baran Keki
Walter Landesman
Wolfgang Schoene
P.L.F. Persio
Paul Lambert
expressisverbis
Henrique Mariotto

Barbara Carrara
Italy
Member (2008)
English to Italian
+ ...
Anna1307 Feb 5, 2022

Anna1307 wrote:

If their email has [email protected] or [email protected] ending I would never reply. No prefessional[sic] agency would use these.

Of course, the rule of thumb is to be wary of free email accounts, especially when associated with a translation business. Or any other business, for that matter.

However, as pointed out in my previous post, apart from the title in Sedat's original post, the rest of it only mentions the scammers' contact details as being '@greentranslations.co.uk', which may have looked as a legit domain name. As it happens, and as already emphasized in my previous post, that domain does not exist, and she should have checked that information before engaging with them.

Baran Keki
P.L.F. Persio
expressisverbis

Inga Petkelyte
Inga Petkelyte  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 16:42
Lithuanian to Portuguese
+ ...
Let me laugh at it Feb 8, 2022

Anna1307 wrote:

If their email has [email protected] or [email protected] ending I would never reply. No prefessional agency would use these.

My own email is .. @hotmail.com for over 20 years;
and I constantly deal with multi-millionaire businesses with their emails [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], among others,
so let me laugh at such understanding of what is professional or not.

[Edited at 2022-02-08 16:53 GMT]

Henrique Mariotto

ogerardo
ogerardo  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:42
Spanish to English
+ ...
ok ignoramus Feb 8, 2022

Inga Petkelyte wrote:

Anna1307 wrote:

and I constantly deal with multi-millionaire businesses with their emails [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], among others,
so let me laugh at your understanding of what is professional or not.

Like anyone with common sense, I never deal with "professionals" (especially representing companies) with a personal email address from a free email provider.

I have my own domain, website, and email address to match.

Nothing denotes success like having a free email address. Let me laugh at your ignorance.

Paul Lambert
expressisverbis

Inga Petkelyte
Inga Petkelyte  Identity Verified
Portugal
Lithuanian to Portuguese
+ ...
While Feb 8, 2022

[quote]ogerardo wrote:

Inga Petkelyte wrote:

Like anyone with common sense, I never deal with "professionals" (especially representing companies) with a personal email address from a free email provider.

Nothing denotes success like having a free email address. Let me laugh at your ignorance.

While you fiddle about your "own domain, website, and email address to match" (perhaps, a uniform, too?), others spend time counting their millions with gmail addresses - one of such business cards is right in front of me at this exact moment.
Who laughs last, then?
Actually, those guys don't even care what someone somewhere thinks of their email adresses.

ogerardo
ogerardo  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:42
Spanish to English
+ ...
OK then Feb 12, 2022

[quote]Inga Petkelyte wrote:

ogerardo wrote:

Inga Petkelyte wrote:

While you fiddle about your "own domain, website, and email address to match" (perhaps, a uniform, too?), others spend time counting their millions with gmail addresses - one of such business cards is right in front of me at this exact moment.
Who laughs last, then?
Actually, those guys don't even care what someone somewhere thinks of their email adresses.

oh you have millions? doubtful. Fiddling with other people's business cards? lol you're projecting much. Perhaps you should focus on you.

I laugh last as I have the best lifestyle traveling around the world.

You cared enough to reply to two people lol Won't reply to you anymore, so don't bother.

[Edited at 2022-02-12 23:57 GMT]

[Edited at 2022-02-12 23:59 GMT]

expressisverbis

Barbara Carrara
Italy
Member (2008)
English to Italian
+ ...
Crickets chirping Feb 13, 2022

This is the second such title I've posted today.
This thread has been open since 31 January, and Sedat has since vanished.
Don't know about you lot, but I am truly annoyed by the attitude some registered users and members have, of posting in the fora or KudoZ sections, seeking for help or advice, or to exchange views with their peers on specific topics, and then they don't even bother to interact.

Chirp...Chirp...Chirp...

Paul Lambert
P.L.F. Persio
expressisverbis

Rafal Kwiatkowski
Rafal Kwiatkowski
United States
Member (2013)
English to Polish
+ ...
this is clearly a scam - it has all signs of it Feb 18, 2022

I just got an email similar to yours. Mine was for 500000 (!) words at 0.06 euro. Interestingly, the email came from Daniel Spears but was signed by Smith Paul (not Paul Smith, for some reason). Beware! This is definitely a scam, down to spelling and punctuation mistakes.

Paul Lambert
Barbara Carrara
expressisverbis

Adieu
Adieu  Identity Verified
Ukrainian to English
+ ...
Yeah, seems very dodgy Feb 18, 2022

500k word jobs don't typically get offered to strangers. Or to solo contractors at all, for that matter.

Rafal Kwiatkowski wrote:

I just got an email similar to yours. Mine was for 500000 (!) words at 0.06 euro. Interestingly, the email came from Daniel Spears but was signed by Smith Paul (not Paul Smith, for some reason). Beware! This is definitely a scam, down to spelling and punctuation mistakes.

Barbara Carrara
P.L.F. Persio
expressisverbis

Paul Lambert
Paul Lambert  Identity Verified
Sweden
Member (2006)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Here we go Feb 23, 2022

Inga Petkelyte wrote:

Anna1307 wrote:

so let me laugh at such understanding of what is professional or not.

[Edited at 2022-02-08 16:53 GMT]

Here we see an example of modern internet debating logic.

1. One person makes a *general* statement that largely holds true, while allowing for exceptions.
2. Another person counters with a *specific* exception to the general rule.
3. The general statement is therefore held to be wholly incorrect.

It is also known as the I-know-a-tall-Chinese-person argument.

Not trying to be harsh on you, Inga. I know we live in a time where people are taught and seriously believe that it is always wrong to generalise.

Now, you as a freelancer (I assume) will get away using such free email accounts. That's fine. Even then I suggest to other new freelancers that no matter how else they want to keep overhead costs down, they spring for a domain of their own. Disregard for the moment any scammers or dishonesty, even the most honest translator using only a hotmail account gives off the impression that his translation work is a bit of a side-gig and not his main full-time profession. Yes, I too know freelancers that use such free email accounts and successfully so - you included, evidently. You can afford that given your connections. However, to a stranger first approaching you, it is correct to assume ****in general**** that [email protected] will not make as good an impression as [email protected], for instance.

You are one individual, fine. However, a multi-million business that cannot spring for its own email domain makes an even worse impression. Imagine writing to [email protected]

[Edited at 2022-02-23 15:27 GMT]

Michele Fauble
Daryo
Barbara Carrara
P.L.F. Persio
expressisverbis
Yulia Angelova

Daryo
Daryo
United Kingdom
Serbian to English
+ ...
Nuances, nuances .... Feb 23, 2022

Barbara Carrara wrote:

Anna1307 wrote:

If their email has [email protected] or [email protected] ending I would never reply. No prefessional[sic] agency would use these.

Of course, the rule of thumb is to be wary of free email accounts, especially when associated with a translation business. Or any other business, for that matter.

However, as pointed out in my previous post, apart from the title in Sedat's original post, the rest of it only mentions the scammers' contact details as being '@greentranslations.co.uk', which may have looked as a legit domain name. As it happens, and as already emphasized in my previous post, that domain does not exist, and she should have checked that information before engaging with them.

The domain name "greentranslations.co.uk" EXISTS.

WHOIS results

Domain name:
greentranslations.co.uk

Data validation:
Nominet was able to match the registrant's name and address against a 3rd party data source on 25-Feb-2021

Registrar:
Gransy s.r.o. t/a Gransy s.r.o. [Tag = GRANSY-CZ]
URL: https://regtons.com

Relevant dates:
Registered on: 04-Sep-2021
Expiry date: 04-Sep-2022
Last updated: 04-Sep-2021

Registration status:
Registered until expiry date.

Name servers:
ns.gransy.com
ns2.gransy.com
ns3.gransy.com
ns4.gransy.com
ns5.gransy.com

WHOIS lookup made at 20:10:00 23-Feb-2022

The registar https://regtons.com is based in Czech Republic

Gransy s.r.o.
ADRESS:
Borivojova 878/35
130 00 Prague
Czech Republic

VAT: CZ28087755

E-mail: [email protected]
Phone: +420.910125935

OTOH there isn't any website associated with this very real/existing domain name - which is not so rare and can be perfectly legitimate - lots a people register a domain name just to have a "personalised email address" without the slightest intention of ever bothering with a website.

These "clues" are neither here or there.

But there are other "clues" indicating with a 101% certainly that this "Green translations LTD" is some kind of scam.

There is NO limited company in UK of that name - takes 15 seconds to check.

https://find-and-update.company-information.service.gov.uk/search?q=Green%20translations

So the "An ISO 9001:2008 Certified Company" bit can only be a load of BS.

What kind of scam exactly they are running doesn't matter - not worth wasting your time on them.

[Edited at 2022-02-23 20:46 GMT]

[Edited at 2022-02-23 20:47 GMT]

Mr. Satan (X)
expressisverbis

Barbara Carrara
Italy
Member (2008)
English to Italian
+ ...
Hmm... Feb 24, 2022

Daryo wrote:

Impressive piece of snooping, Daryo. Was it worth the effort, though?

In my case, the fact remains that if I enter that URL in Firefox, they inform me they 'can’t connect to the server at greentranslations.co.uk.'
Hence my assumption that such domain does not exist.
And that would be enough proof for me - on top of how the contact message was styled - not to communicate with a 'person' claiming to work for said 'company'.

expressisverbis

Daryo
Daryo
United Kingdom
Serbian to English
+ ...
In fact ... Feb 24, 2022

Barbara Carrara wrote:

Daryo wrote:

Impressive piece of snooping, Daryo. Was it worth the effort, though?

In my case, the fact remains that if I enter that URL in Firefox, they inform me they 'can’t connect to the server at greentranslations.co.uk.'
Hence my assumption that such domain does not exist.
And that would be enough proof for me - on top of how the contact message was styled - not to communicate with a 'person' claiming to work for said 'company'.

Ahem ... In fact, it's called "due diligence" - a concept you can ignore only at your own perils - and it's never "wasted time". Even if it's just for practice.

And it's also important to interpret what you find in the right way. Like not assuming that every domaine name must have a website. False negatives are as bad as false positives.

Mr. Satan (X)
expressisverbis

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Watch our for a Scammer Dennis Spears [email protected]

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »