Do you have any experience working with Overcoming Church?
Thread poster: Lillian Popmijatov
Lillian Popmijatov
Lillian Popmijatov
Local time: 10:50
Member (2005)
French to Serbian
+ ...
Mar 18

Does anyone have any experience translating for Overcoming Church? They contacted me via email and wanted me to do a 500-word test, which is not standard. They agreed to pay for the 500 words along with my future payments if I pass the test. I'm not sure where to look for information on their payment practices. Any idea, anyone?

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Unpaid tests Mar 18

A free test translation should not exceed 200 to 300 words. You might want to offer doing the test for, let's say, 75% of your standard rate. Getting paid only after you have passed their test is quite a questionable procedure... to phrase it nicely.

I'm not insunuating anything here, but keep in mind that there is a possibility of getting a free translation by sending 500 words' tests to an unknown number of translators.

[Edited at 2024-03-18 09:45 GMT]

Jorge Payan
Philip Lees

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 09:50
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
@Lillian Mar 18

There is a scam alert on Facebook about them: https://m.facebook.com/churchovercoming/photos/please-report-overcomingchurch1they-are-attempting-to-scam-peopleindyocc/2978651992248157/

philgoddard
expressisverbis
Philip Lees

Kevin Fulton
Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:50
German to English
Importance of due diligence Mar 18

Every translator when getting an inquiry/offer out of the blue should ask "Why me?"
The internet can be your friend.
In this case it's important to consider why a church in Indianapolis, Indiana that serves a predominantly Black congregation might need a translation into Serbian.

P.L.F. Persio
expressisverbis
Daryo
philgoddard
Zea_Mays
Baran Keki

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
. Mar 18

It looks like scammers have left the big pharmas and decided to capitalize on the innate trust that many have for religious organizations.

Kevin Fulton
expressisverbis
Daryo
Zea_Mays
Jorge Payan
Philip Lees
Yasutomo Kanazawa

Daryo
Daryo
United Kingdom
Serbian to English
+ ...
500 words as free test? Mar 18

Sounds like one of the oldest scams in the book: to get a large text done for free - just cut it in as large as possible "tests" given to several translators.

Never mind the plausibility of this particular church needing anything translated in Serbian.

Slobodan Kozarčić
Slobodan Kozarčić  Identity Verified
Serbia
Member (2016)
English to Serbian
+ ...
Maybe it's a scam, Mar 19

maybe not. But what kind of jobs can wait for over a year to be realized? A (too) long con? I have negotiated with them a year ago. They agreed to my rates (a little higher than my usual), even to pay everything upfront except for a half of the test. But they wanted me to use weird words in my translation, not usual for Serbian language and everyday speech, so I rejected it. Maybe deep in my mind I already thought it's a scam so this was a perfect excuse for me to reject it.

I've ju
... See more
maybe not. But what kind of jobs can wait for over a year to be realized? A (too) long con? I have negotiated with them a year ago. They agreed to my rates (a little higher than my usual), even to pay everything upfront except for a half of the test. But they wanted me to use weird words in my translation, not usual for Serbian language and everyday speech, so I rejected it. Maybe deep in my mind I already thought it's a scam so this was a perfect excuse for me to reject it.

I've just checked their emails. They were sent from Gmail address ([email protected]) and the church is located in Korea. So, Gmail is also a reason I have rejected it.

[Edited at 2024-03-19 14:08 GMT]

[Edited at 2024-03-19 14:12 GMT]

[Edited at 2024-03-19 14:12 GMT]
Collapse

Yasutomo Kanazawa
Yasutomo Kanazawa  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 17:50
Member (2005)
English to Japanese
+ ...
@Maria Teresa Mar 23

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida wrote:

It looks like scammers have left the big pharmas and decided to capitalize on the innate trust that many have for religious organizations.

YES!!!

Doing God's work is a noble thing to do, and good-natured people who believe and love God will never think about scamming people, so you can trust us.

[Edited at 2024-03-23 07:03 GMT]

Robert Rietvelt
Robert Rietvelt  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
@Yasutomo Mar 23

[quote]Yasutomo Kanazawa wrote:

YES!!!

Doing God's work is a noble thing to do, and good-natured people who believe and love God will never think about scamming people, so you can trust us.

.... so you can trust us????????. Sounds to me like a butcher inspecting his own meat.

What is your doing with this church?

[Edited at 2024-03-23 11:54 GMT]

Yasutomo Kanazawa
Yasutomo Kanazawa  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 17:50
Member (2005)
English to Japanese
+ ...
@Robert Mar 23

[quote]Robert Rietvelt wrote:

Yasutomo Kanazawa wrote:

YES!!!

.... so you can trust us????????. Sounds to me like a butcher inspecting his own meat.

What is your doing with this church?

[Edited at 2024-03-23 11:54 GMT]

I have nothing to do with this church. I was just trying to say that good-natured people tend to be gullible to these dubious religious organizations because they believe that they are doing a good deed. The scammer does not have to tell people to trust him/her directly; it is already implied when they tell people that they are from "so and so church".

Kevin Fulton
Josephine Cassar
Nurlela Malau
Robert Rietvelt

Robert Rietvelt
Robert Rietvelt  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
@Yasutomo Mar 23

OK, my wrong. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Yasutomo Kanazawa

IrinaN
IrinaN
United States
Local time: 03:50
English to Russian
+ ...
With all due respect Mar 24

For lots of truly good deeds done by small local churches on a community level, to what I, definitely not the most devoted church goer, can testify without hesitation for my area, churches have never been paying customers and never will be.

WHY would any church need any translation, not to mention a paid one????

Please keep your logical thinking On at all times.

In fact, I'd love to hear if anyone, ever, had a paid assignment from the church and can prove
... See more
For lots of truly good deeds done by small local churches on a community level, to what I, definitely not the most devoted church goer, can testify without hesitation for my area, churches have never been paying customers and never will be.

WHY would any church need any translation, not to mention a paid one????

Please keep your logical thinking On at all times.

In fact, I'd love to hear if anyone, ever, had a paid assignment from the church and can prove me wrong.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Do you have any experience working with Overcoming Church?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »