Does speech recognition affect your word counts?
Thread poster: Phil Hand
Phil Hand
Phil Hand  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 09:25
Chinese to English
Jan 13, 2013

I'm in the process of learning a speech recognition tool. I'm not completely sold on it yet, but perhaps as I get used to it, I'll switch over for most things. But has anyone noticed a change in the style of their output when they move from typing to dictation?

Most of my jobs are billed by source count, so it shouldn't matter, but I just happen to be doing a target-count job at the moment. It's a consumer survey, so the source text is very informal, and I find that when I'm dictati
... See more
I'm in the process of learning a speech recognition tool. I'm not completely sold on it yet, but perhaps as I get used to it, I'll switch over for most things. But has anyone noticed a change in the style of their output when they move from typing to dictation?

Most of my jobs are billed by source count, so it shouldn't matter, but I just happen to be doing a target-count job at the moment. It's a consumer survey, so the source text is very informal, and I find that when I'm dictating I'm very wordy. When typing, I automatically select a cleaner sentence form ("I like this"), but when dictating I often naturally come out with a longer version ("This is the thing I like").

I'm just a tiny bit worried that it will have a real impact on my final billable word count, and the client won't be pleased.

Does anyone have any experience with this kind of thing?
Collapse

Tony M
Tony M
France
Local time: 03:25
French to English
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Not surprising Jan 13, 2013

Let me state from the outset that I have no experience whatsoever of using VR / dictation in my translation work.

But from my own general experience, I wouldn't be at all surprised at this phenomenon, which I have to some extent myself observed when using a CAT, which segments the text automatically.

I find there is a terrible tendency to translate each segment in isolation, which in my case often leads to a too-literal rendering, which usually means clumsy and wordy!... See more
Let me state from the outset that I have no experience whatsoever of using VR / dictation in my translation work.

But from my own general experience, I wouldn't be at all surprised at this phenomenon, which I have to some extent myself observed when using a CAT, which segments the text automatically.

I find there is a terrible tendency to translate each segment in isolation, which in my case often leads to a too-literal rendering, which usually means clumsy and wordy!

I am a very visual person, and while concentrating on any given phrase or sentence, I do also like to see the wider surrounding picture.

I can well imagine that a similar mechanism would come into play were I to use VR and dictation — I have seen this to some extent with transcription work, although more often than not I transcribe in the source language and then translate afterwards. But sometimes, for rush jobs, I've been obliged to translate 'on the fly', and even though the situation is reversed (listening to audio and typing in words), I find the result is the same: I don't get the 'broader picture'.
Collapse

Philippe Etienne
Philippe Etienne  Identity Verified
Spain
English to French
Some change, but not significant Jan 13, 2013

Phil Hand wrote:
...But has anyone noticed a change in the style of their output when they move from typing to dictation?

Things like e.g. (p. ex. in FR) tend to disappear because it is easier for me to say "for example" than e-dot-space-g-dot or sthg.

Voice recognition required some adjustments in the way I work, but I haven't noticed any change in my wording and/or style. With or without voice recognition, I have always typed/spoken an acceptable first version, and when all is finished, I do rereading without voice recognition. Hence I get both the broader picture (flow and sentence articulation/joining) and an idea of what the translation feels like from a target reader's point of view (wording).

But I agree that it is not for everybody: typing a sentence is different from speaking it aloud.

Philippe

Claire Cox
Claire Cox
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:25
French to English
+ ...
Not noticeably Jan 13, 2013

I used to dictate into a dictaphone when I first started translating in-house in the 1980's and have come back to it via Dragon over the past 5 years or so. I haven't noticed that my dictated texts are longer, though; if anything, they're more natural because I tend to notice if something sounds odd when I say it out loud. In saying that, like Philippe, I always check my translations at least once against the original and then read them through again as a freestanding text, so any wordiness woul... See more
I used to dictate into a dictaphone when I first started translating in-house in the 1980's and have come back to it via Dragon over the past 5 years or so. I haven't noticed that my dictated texts are longer, though; if anything, they're more natural because I tend to notice if something sounds odd when I say it out loud. In saying that, like Philippe, I always check my translations at least once against the original and then read them through again as a freestanding text, so any wordiness would hopefully be eliminated at that stage. Then again, much depends on the original text - patents and legal texts tend to be much wordier than a marketing text and you wouldn't want to change that anyway. I do tend to charge by source word for French translations, but charge by target word for some of my German clients, especially those based in the UK. I tend to work on the basis of an expansion factor of 20% for German to English and that usually holds true whether I dictate or type.

I wouldn't worry about it: hopefully your clients will be pleased by the fact that your translations sound more natural!

[Edited at 2013-01-13 11:43 GMT]
Collapse

David Wright
David Wright  Identity Verified
Austria
German to English
+ ...
Agree entirely with Claire (regards!) Jan 13, 2013

I've been using Dragon for a decade or so now and have learned to dictate in a way that ends up being very close to my final version (though perhaps I speak more "bookish" now." As for actually word counts, I've always had English coming out about 10% shorter than the German original, but that might be a feature of the legal business.

You will probably learn to recognise what structure you will need to use (to refer to Asker's example) and to transform the structure of your source t
... See more
I've been using Dragon for a decade or so now and have learned to dictate in a way that ends up being very close to my final version (though perhaps I speak more "bookish" now." As for actually word counts, I've always had English coming out about 10% shorter than the German original, but that might be a feature of the legal business.

You will probably learn to recognise what structure you will need to use (to refer to Asker's example) and to transform the structure of your source text into a good target language text at first sight. even if to begin with you find yourself correcting a lot of what you have dictated cos it doesn't sound right.
Collapse

Phil Hand
Phil Hand  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 09:25
Chinese to English
TOPIC STARTER
I guess it's just me, then... Jan 14, 2013

Thank you for the replies. Perhaps my issue is still lack of experience with dictation.

adam0718
adam0718
Local time: 06:55
Does speech recognition affect your word counts? Jan 14, 2013

I have been using Dictation Pro for about 6 months. Initially I had to edit somewhat. The word count when I work now is fairly close to the final version and it does save a lot of time - http://www.deskshare.com/dictation.aspx

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Does speech recognition affect your word counts?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »