Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38] >
Ask me anything about subtitling
Thread poster: Max Deryagin
Rivkah Ben-Yisrael
Rivkah Ben-Yisrael
Israel
Local time: 09:40
Qu regarding colour of font and font background on Subtitle Edit May 24, 2022

Hi

I'm hoping you can help me out with a technical question. I'm learning Subtitle Edit as I go along so hope this is not too daft of a question

I produced a subtitled video in Subtitle Edit, chose yellow as the subtitle colour and the produced video with the embedded subtitles shows yellow subtitles on a black background.

Would anyone know how to direct me so that my next attempt at producing the video will come out with yellow subtitles on no (or transpar
... See more
Hi

I'm hoping you can help me out with a technical question. I'm learning Subtitle Edit as I go along so hope this is not too daft of a question

I produced a subtitled video in Subtitle Edit, chose yellow as the subtitle colour and the produced video with the embedded subtitles shows yellow subtitles on a black background.

Would anyone know how to direct me so that my next attempt at producing the video will come out with yellow subtitles on no (or transparent?) background?

Thank you

Rivkah
Collapse

Michel Virasolvy
Michel Virasolvy  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 08:40
English to French
+ ...
Just go in Settings > Video player and un-tick "Opaque box" May 25, 2022

Cf. title of my post for my main answer.

If you plan to output your subtitles to ASS format file, you might want to use the embedded styling libraries of Aegisub since they're more intuitive.

Max Deryagin
Serhan Elmacıoğlu

Rivkah Ben-Yisrael
Rivkah Ben-Yisrael
Israel
Local time: 09:40
re ASS settings May 26, 2022

Thanks Michel!

I was producing the video for use on YouTube and understood from what I read online that the ASS settings don't work on YouTube. Is that correct?

Michel Virasolvy
Michel Virasolvy  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
== WebVTT/SRT for Youtube == May 26, 2022

Unfortunately, that's right. Rendering an ASS means loading the styling libraries then interpreting them in the player to get the intended results, which in turns means additional scripts. A few years back, Youtube decided to use WebVTT as their main subtitling format, while still being able to load SRT format because it's the most common and lightest subtitle format in the industry despite having little to no styling (they compensate this lack of style by adding options in their video player fo... See more
Unfortunately, that's right. Rendering an ASS means loading the styling libraries then interpreting them in the player to get the intended results, which in turns means additional scripts. A few years back, Youtube decided to use WebVTT as their main subtitling format, while still being able to load SRT format because it's the most common and lightest subtitle format in the industry despite having little to no styling (they compensate this lack of style by adding options in their video player for the user).Collapse

Max Deryagin
Max Deryagin  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 11:40
Member (2013)
English to Russian
TOPIC STARTER
- May 26, 2022

Rivkah Ben-Yisrael wrote:

Thanks Michel!

I was producing the video for use on YouTube and understood from what I read online that the ASS settings don't work on YouTube. Is that correct?

YouTube doesn't support ASS as a caption format, but you can embed your ASS subtitles in the video (e.g. via Handbrake) and then upload it to YouTube.

Anna A. K.
Anna A. K.  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2020)
English to German
Onomatopoeia Jun 5, 2022

Hi Max,

does onomatopoeia needs to be translated in subtitles, when a person actually uses it? Like when someone only says "click clack click clack" etc.

Thanks in advance!

Max Deryagin
Russian Federation
Member (2013)
English to Russian
TOPIC STARTER
- Jun 5, 2022

Anna1307 wrote:

Hi Max,

does onomatopoeia needs to be translated in subtitles, when a person actually uses it? Like when someone only says "click clack click clack" etc.

Thanks in advance!

Hi Anna,

Subtitlers usually omit onomatopoeia unless they have to keep it for a functional reason (e.g. if it's part of a pun or a reference). The rule of thumb is this: if the target viewer can understand what's going on without these onomatopoeia subs, just omit them.

Anna A. K.

Anna A. K.
Anna A. K.  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2020)
English to German
Thanks Jun 5, 2022

Thanks, Max. That was helpful!

Max Deryagin

Parichart Chaipikul
Parichart Chaipikul  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 13:40
English to Thai
Thanks for Sharing! Jun 5, 2022

Ana Carla Guimarães wrote:

Max,
Please, don´t apologize for the delay. I am sure we all appreciate the fact you took the time to answer these questions for us. Apparently, these numbers are still the same since 2013.
Thank you so much for confirming with your colleagues!
Ana

May I ask how can I find such a company or agency that can pay for that rate, please? So far, in the top range (ranged by many resources, their rates are almost less than $3.00/minute.

Thank you in advance!

Max Deryagin
Russian Federation
Member (2013)
English to Russian
TOPIC STARTER
- Jun 5, 2022

Parichart Chaipikul wrote:

Ana Carla Guimarães wrote:

Max,
Please, don´t apologize for the delay. I am sure we all appreciate the fact you took the time to answer these questions for us. Apparently, these numbers are still the same since 2013.
Thank you so much for confirming with your colleagues!
Ana

May I ask how can I find such a company or agency that can pay for that rate, please? So far, in the top range (ranged by many resources, their rates are almost less than $3.00/minute.

Thank you in advance!

Hi Parichart,

You can find the answer here: SUBTLE's Tips for audiovisual translators.

Idzwan Ramli
Idzwan Ramli  Identity Verified
Malaysia
Local time: 14:40
Member (2021)
English to Malay
+ ...
Aegisub .ass convert to .dfxp in Subtitle Edit Jun 8, 2022

Hi,

I used Aegisub and the file extension was .ass. As service provider required .dfxp file format, I tried to open it and convert it to .dfxp using Subtitle Edit but all the timecode was rounded up and zerorized (as per attachment).

Any way to retain the same timecode as it was?

Thanks

Max Deryagin
Russian Federation
Member (2013)
English to Russian
TOPIC STARTER
- Jun 8, 2022

Idzwan Ramli wrote:

Hi,

I used Aegisub and the file extension was .ass. As service provider required .dfxp file format, I tried to open it and convert it to .dfxp using Subtitle Edit but all the timecode was rounded up and zerorized (as per attachment).

Any way to retain the same timecode as it was?

Thanks

Hi Idzwan,

Try to export as SRT and then convert using this service: rev.com/captionconverter

whitelighter
whitelighter
United States
playing dvd with Subtitle Edit Jun 26, 2022

Do you know if there is a way to open the dvd directly with subtitle edit instead of having to play each vob file separately? That is, play the whole thing straight through the same way a media player would? The reason I ask is that when I rip the video from the dvd onto my hard drive as an mkv, and use that to make the subtitles, I find that when I add the subtitles to the original dvd that they've lost sychronicity.

Max Deryagin
Russian Federation
Member (2013)
English to Russian
TOPIC STARTER
- Jun 26, 2022

whitelighter wrote:

Do you know if there is a way to open the dvd directly with subtitle edit instead of having to play each vob file separately? That is, play the whole thing straight through the same way a media player would? The reason I ask is that when I rip the video from the dvd onto my hard drive as an mkv, and use that to make the subtitles, I find that when I add the subtitles to the original dvd that they've lost sychronicity.

Hi whitelighter,

No, I don't think it's possible, so what people usually do (when they do fansubbing) is they multiplex all the VOBs (starting from #1) into one big video using e.g. MKVToolNix and then create a sub file in SE for the whole film rather than individual VOBs. Or they just go ahead and burn their subs right into the VOB files.

By the way, what sync issue do you get? Is it perhaps an offset of exactly the duration of VOB #0?

[Edited at 2022-06-27 08:05 GMT]

whitelighter
whitelighter
United States
re: playing dvd with Subtitle Edit Jun 27, 2022

I multiplexed the vob files into an mkv file, but found when I opened Subtitle Edit that they were already in sync. I'm beginning to think there must be a software issue related to adding subtitles do an existing dvd. I've tried two different media players - VLC and KM player - as well as two different movies on 2 different dvds (adding subtitles that I created for both movies) but the timing was still off. If I moved the curser forward to a later spot in the movie, the subtitles have disappeare... See more
I multiplexed the vob files into an mkv file, but found when I opened Subtitle Edit that they were already in sync. I'm beginning to think there must be a software issue related to adding subtitles do an existing dvd. I've tried two different media players - VLC and KM player - as well as two different movies on 2 different dvds (adding subtitles that I created for both movies) but the timing was still off. If I moved the curser forward to a later spot in the movie, the subtitles have disappeared altogether. I try re-adding them and they are completely out of sync - by about 30 minutes. I'm wondering if it may just be difficult to add ones own subtitles to official dvd's. Or maybe it's because my subtitles are .ass files? Perhaps srt files would work better, though I prefer the .ass formatCollapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Ask me anything about subtitling

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »