Thread poster: kd42
kd42
kd42
Estonia
Local time: 20:22
English to Russian
Apr 12

Good day,
I have a segmented file with tabs separating various bullets from text, I need to separate these.
Does CleanupSource know how to do it? Maybe there's another utility or a workflow?
I want to avoid doing it by hand.
Thank you

Dan Lucas
Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:22
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
Think we need a bit more info Apr 12

kd42 wrote:
I have a segmented file with tabs separating various bullets from text, I need to separate these.

By "separate", do you mean you want to split segments on the tab characters?
If so, maybe a custom segmentation rule using the bullet character followed by a tab?

Dan

Stepan Konev
Jaime Oriard

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
English to Russian
Segment on tabs Apr 12

You need to create a new segmentation rule for the TM you use for segmentation (the uppermost one in your list if there are more than one TMs).
Go to Project Settings, All lang pairs, TM and AT, select your TM, Settings, Language Resources, Segmentation, click the Default or Custo... pen icon for your source language, Add..., Before break: Anything, Break Characters: Tab, After break: Anything. Click OK as many times as required to close all the TM properties windows.
Check if it has
... See more
You need to create a new segmentation rule for the TM you use for segmentation (the uppermost one in your list if there are more than one TMs).
Go to Project Settings, All lang pairs, TM and AT, select your TM, Settings, Language Resources, Segmentation, click the Default or Custo... pen icon for your source language, Add..., Before break: Anything, Break Characters: Tab, After break: Anything. Click OK as many times as required to close all the TM properties windows.
Check if it has saved your rule. Trados sometimes removes the rules you just created (a very annoying bug). If it deletes your new rule, try the other way: with project open, go to Translation Memories view (lower left corner), find your TM in the upper left pane list. If it is not there, open it with the Open icon. When you can see it in the list on the left, right click it and select Settings. Then proceed as described above from Settings.
Collapse

kd42
kd42
Estonia
English to Russian
TOPIC STARTER
The data is segmented Apr 12

Thank you for coming to the rescue but I probably was too brief. I wrote in my post that "I have a segmented file".
Thia means the client does not want to change the rules and recreate the project.

Dan Lucas
United Kingdom
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
Still not quite sure Apr 12

kd42 wrote:
Thank you for coming to the rescue but I probably was too brief. I wrote in my post that "I have a segmented file".
Thia means the client does not want to change the rules and recreate the project.

Okay, so you want to do a search and replace or something?
To put it another way, what is the desired outcome?

Dan

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
English to Russian
Re-segment a segmented file Apr 12

Dan Lucas wrote:
I think the desired action is to re-segment a file that has already been segmented by the client to split segments on tabs.

Probably an AHK script can do that. It should find regex \t in the source column, then make the segment with regex \t active and press Alt+Shift+T right there at the regex \t position, then proceed with other instances. But I don't know how to make such a script exactly. You can ask here for example: https://community.rws.com/product-groups/trados-portfolio/trados-studio/f/autohotkey

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Export to bilingual review document Apr 12

and replace tab with tab plus new line.

Import the table as a new project and translate it.

Export the table.

Replace tab plus new line with tab only.

Import this table in the original project.

Dan Lucas

kd42
kd42
Estonia
English to Russian
TOPIC STARTER
The desired outcome Apr 13

Dan Lucas wrote:

kd42 wrote:

Okay, so you want to do a search and replace or something?

Dan

Thanks for coming back and your understanding, Dan.
I want to search for a tab in source and replace it with a tab plus a segment break.

kd42
kd42
Estonia
English to Russian
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Apr 13

Thanks Stepan and Hans,
I found AHK among available plugins, but I think I'll try the workflow suggested by Hans first, I simply love its straightforwardness.

I am very-very thankful to everyone who came around and tried to help.

Dan Lucas
United Kingdom
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
Difficult Apr 14

kd42 wrote:
I want to search for a tab in source and replace it with a tab plus a segment break.

I am not sure if this is possible using Cleanup Tasks, to be honest. A simple replacement of text is easy enough, but a new segment is an entire syntactic unit within the XML code, and executing such actions is quite complex. As a last resort, you could try asking on the RWS forum?
Dan

kd42
kd42
Estonia
English to Russian
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Apr 24

Dan Lucas wrote:

kd42 wrote:

I am not sure if this is possible using Cleanup Tasks, to be honest. A simple replacement of text is easy enough, but a new segment is an entire syntactic unit within the XML code, and executing such actions is quite complex. As a last resort, you could try asking on the RWS forum?
Dan

Thanks for the explanation, Dan, it saves me time and effort.

The workaround suggested by Hans makes a lot of sense to me, because I often fix poor layouts by adding dummy text, translating, and then replacing the dummy text back with what was there.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Need to automatically split segments by tabs

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »