Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 00:40
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Mar 19, 2010

Let's say I have been translating with Transit Satellite for one hour and copy the translation to Word in order to use the Word spellchecker. Then I notice my mistakes and go to the Transit translation window and make my corrections.
But how can I make sure, that the corrections will be updated in the fuzzy match memory? If I press Alt+Ins, the editor jumps every time to the end of the text.

Regards
Heinrich

Brand Localization
Brand Localization
Egypt
German to Arabic
+ ...
No need to use Alt + Insert Mar 19, 2010

Hi,

If you don't want to change the segment status from "translated' into "checked 1" for example, you can simply just press Ctrl + S to save the changes you made in the text.

That is all you need.

best regards

Gillian Scheibelein
Gillian Scheibelein  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 23:40
German to English
+ ...
Saving files Mar 21, 2010

Hi Heinrich,

Transit files behave more like Word files than Trados TMs. Pressing the Alt+Ins only changes the segment status, provided that the segment has a status below the level currently being edited (Edit > Segment status). However, if your segment status AND the "Edit>Segment status" are both "translated" nothing will happen to the segment - the translation/changes are not saved as they would be in Trados - Transit jumps to the next segment below "translated" and looks for a f
... See more
Hi Heinrich,

Transit files behave more like Word files than Trados TMs. Pressing the Alt+Ins only changes the segment status, provided that the segment has a status below the level currently being edited (Edit > Segment status). However, if your segment status AND the "Edit>Segment status" are both "translated" nothing will happen to the segment - the translation/changes are not saved as they would be in Trados - Transit jumps to the next segment below "translated" and looks for a fuzzy match. If all the segments are already "translated", it will jump to the end of the text as in your case.

You must save all changes at regular intervals, just like a Word file. Transit will do this automatically "Option > Profile > Settings > Transit (General) > Autosave (in minutes) at the top of the pane. I use 1 minute as the default setting. If Transit crashes, which it does do occasionally, you will only lose work carried out in the last 60 seconds, irrespective of whether it is a translated or an edited segment. This is why I save manually (Ctrl+S for the target text, Alt+FV for both files) after every search and replace or any changes in previous parts of the text in case I forget what I just changed.

Hope this helps,
Jill

[Edited at 2010-03-21 19:28 GMT]
Collapse

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I understand now Mar 22, 2010

Thanks for your assurance. I understand now, Transit does not have any internal TM but looks up the matches straight from the files open. So any change is automatically recognized.
I had Satellite open for five days in a row and it never crashed (Vista), and indeed has never crashed before either.

Regards
Heinrich

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maya Gorgoshidze[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to update 'TM' after corrections?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »