Transit NXT: +++ Segment Concordance +++ what does it mean?
Thread poster: Campman
Campman
Campman  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 20:20
English to Dutch
+ ...
Feb 3, 2013

What does the message +++ Segment Concordance +++ in the Fuzzy Match window mean?

Sometimes it's clear that the words of reference and source segment match, but that they don't appear in the same order in reference and source segment.

But I also get this message when there's a 100% match - in the Fuzzy Match window, the reference segment [Ref] is identical to the source segment, but the [New] line does not give the (100% identical) segment of the source, but the messag
... See more
What does the message +++ Segment Concordance +++ in the Fuzzy Match window mean?

Sometimes it's clear that the words of reference and source segment match, but that they don't appear in the same order in reference and source segment.

But I also get this message when there's a 100% match - in the Fuzzy Match window, the reference segment [Ref] is identical to the source segment, but the [New] line does not give the (100% identical) segment of the source, but the message +++ Segment Concordance +++.
Why's that?
Collapse

AlSqur (X)
AlSqur (X)
segment concordance Feb 3, 2013

Your sentence has been found in one another sentence and is a part of it. If it's completely there - it will be regarded as a 100% match. If only partially - then less than 100%.

Campman
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Rephrasing my question Feb 3, 2013

I'll try to rephrase my question.

Normally / in other situations, when there is a 70% to 100% match found in the reference files, the third line in the Fuzzy Match Window (in green, starting with: [New]) shows the text of the source segment. It also shows where source and reference do not match (in Transit terminology: it highlights updates)

But sometimes, even when the segment of the source text and the reference text are a 100% match (both segments are completely iden
... See more
I'll try to rephrase my question.

Normally / in other situations, when there is a 70% to 100% match found in the reference files, the third line in the Fuzzy Match Window (in green, starting with: [New]) shows the text of the source segment. It also shows where source and reference do not match (in Transit terminology: it highlights updates)

But sometimes, even when the segment of the source text and the reference text are a 100% match (both segments are completely identical), the message +++segment concordance+++ shows in the third line [New], in stead of the content of the source segment.

Why is that?
Collapse

AlSqur (X)
AlSqur (X)
example Feb 4, 2013

Can you post an example (screenshot)?

Campman
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Short example Feb 4, 2013

I found a nice short example, but don't know how to copy screenshots to this forum.

Source: Uitsluitingsclausule

In the Fuzzy Match window: 100% fuzzy match
Ref (green): E. Uitsluitingsclausule
New: +++ segment concordance +++
Ref (red): E. Exclusion clause

no more fuzzy matches

As far as I can see, the difference between source and ref i
... See more
I found a nice short example, but don't know how to copy screenshots to this forum.

Source: Uitsluitingsclausule

In the Fuzzy Match window: 100% fuzzy match
Ref (green): E. Uitsluitingsclausule
New: +++ segment concordance +++
Ref (red): E. Exclusion clause

no more fuzzy matches

As far as I can see, the difference between source and ref is E.[space] (3 characters of 23 (13%) and I don't understand why in "New" there's not : "Uitsluitingsclausule" with E-dot-space marked as differences ("highlighted as updates").

[Edited at 2013-02-05 14:54 GMT]
Collapse

Benjamin Phister (X)
Benjamin Phister (X)  Identity Verified
French to English
Segment concordance doesn't show differences Feb 5, 2013

Campman wrote:
As far as I can see, the difference between source and ref is E.[space] (3 characters of 23 (13%) and I don't understand why in "New" there's not : "Uitsluitingsclausule" with E-dot-space marked as differences ("highlighted as updates").

[Edited at 2013-02-05 00:13 GMT]

With a segment concordance, NXT just highlights the part of the previous segment that matches the new segment. That part is a 100% match.

When you find a segment concordance, you can either copy the highligted text manually and then paste it into your target language window. Or you can accept the entire proposed segment, then delete everything but the highlight.

As someone said in a previous post, segment concordance shows matches that normally would be below your fuzzy match threshold. But since there's a 100% match in a "subsegment", NXT shows you the entire segment and highlights the 100% match. It's actually quite a useful feature.

Ben

Campman
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Difference between "highlight as update" and "highlight fuzzy match" Feb 5, 2013

I see and understand how Transit marks fuzzy matches in the Fuzzy Match windows - (in the same colour as used for the matches with Termstar), that's not the issue.

My question is: why / when does Transit sometimes say +++segment concordance +++ while there seems to be only a minor difference between source and ref source - less than 30%, under the threshold of 70% match (70% "minimum quality" in Transit terminology) that I defined?

For instance:
100% match... See more
I see and understand how Transit marks fuzzy matches in the Fuzzy Match windows - (in the same colour as used for the matches with Termstar), that's not the issue.

My question is: why / when does Transit sometimes say +++segment concordance +++ while there seems to be only a minor difference between source and ref source - less than 30%, under the threshold of 70% match (70% "minimum quality" in Transit terminology) that I defined?

For instance:
100% match
Ref (green): Erfstelling
New (green): Erfstelling
Ref (red): Institution d'héritier

No more fuzzy matches

So contrary to the example given earlier, this time, in the Fuzzy Match Window, the line "New" (green) does not display +++ segment concordance +++ but exactly the words of the source segment to be translated.

I thought perhaps Transit only displays the exact words of the source segment in the line "New" if there is a 100% match and all lesser matches produce the message +++ segment concordance+++, but I also get lesser matches (91%) where the source text is displayed (and not +++).

The reason why I want to know is that the source and target windows are far apart on the computer screen.
If the Fuzzy Match window pops up but does not display the New Source segment but ++++, I I have to search first where exactly this segment is located in the upper window, the green source window, my eyes have to "leave" the Fuzzy Window, search, read more text then strictly necessary, check segment numbers, etc.

It would be faster (more comfortable) if I can see all segments (and not ++++ segment concordance +++) in the Fuzzy Match Window. With +++ I can't compare straight away.

So if there is a threshold that can be set to define when +++ segment concordance +++ should be displayed and when the text of the source segment should be displayed.... I'd like to know.

[Edited at 2013-02-05 15:44 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maya Gorgoshidze[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Transit NXT: +++ Segment Concordance +++ what does it mean?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »